IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bought a Small Majesty Wondering if it will survive our winters or not

Palmfarmer

If Robilinis at a big scale can grow here and Royals as well with some winterburn without any canopy or wall as protection is it likely that i will have sucess with a Majesty palm? I will probably help it the first few winters while it is getting established with some christmas lights. 

3 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

If Robilinis at a big scale can grow here and Royals as well with some winterburn without any canopy or wall as protection is it likely that i will have sucess with a Majesty palm? I will probably help it the first few winters while it is getting established with some christmas lights. 

How small is small. Picture?  Regardless, Majesty are pretty tough. As long as you keep it watered and well fed, it should take off like a rocket there w/ your summer heat+humidity+ rain.. These things survive life in relatively heat starved / cool and wet winter parts of California well so you shouldn't have much if any trouble.. Aside from maybe some scorch during the driest part of the late spring/ early summer, maybe some burn in a cold winter.. Gown well, these can look exceptional.. Personally feel these look better than many Coconuts i have seen.. esp. in areas where it is more of a challenge to grow nice Cocos well/ at all. Spoiled, these can be fairly fast growers, so you won't have to wait forever for it to reach size /height.

Shared this pic. before a couple times, but a nice pair located near where the Corona Coconut is located in Corona, CA. Plenty more, of all sizes, in /around that area as well.
433007487_majestypalms.jpg.4076b2e7d598fb968cfda2f697ef29e4.jpg

• Like 3

You’ll have no problems growing them in Mexico just give them lots of water. If you grow Royals there then treat them the same way you would treat a Royal Palm. I don’t give mine as much water as my two Royals but that’s because I water my Royals every day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

How small is small. Picture?  Regardless, Majesty are pretty tough. As long as you keep it watered and well fed, it should take off like a rocket there w/ your summer heat+humidity+ rain.. These things survive life in relatively heat starved / cool and wet winter parts of California well so you shouldn't have much if any trouble.. Aside from maybe some scorch during the driest part of the late spring/ early summer, maybe some burn in a cold winter.. Gown well, these can look exceptional.. Personally feel these look better than many Coconuts i have seen.. esp. in areas where it is more of a challenge to grow nice Cocos well/ at all. Spoiled, these can be fairly fast growers, so you won't have to wait forever for it to reach size /height.

Shared this pic. before a couple times, but a nice pair located near where the Corona Coconut is located in Corona, CA. Plenty more, of all sizes, in /around that area as well.
433007487_majestypalms.jpg.4076b2e7d598fb968cfda2f697ef29e4.jpg

Great to hear so they are more hardy than royals you say? Royals are right on the edge of what will grow here cold hardiness. How fast we talking date palm speed? it is only around 1.5 meters total or so and thin i am still waiting for it since i ordered it online. i will probably protect it some the first few winters on the worst nights.

I would say Ravenea rivularis is worth a try in your location, but the species likes a lot of water and is a heavy feeder to look its best.

9 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Great to hear so they are more hardy than royals you say? Royals are right on the edge of what will grow here cold hardiness. How fast we talking date palm speed? it is only around 1.5 meters total or so and thin i am still waiting for it since i ordered it online. i will probably protect it some the first few winters on the worst nights.

Others may differ on this but i'd put these a touch ahead of Royals in regards to cold hardiness, on average..  Up in San Jose ( Heat starved, compared to Southern CA.. Cooler/ often wetter winters also there ), while very uncommon, ( most people would never think to try them in the ground up there. Sold by the dozens in the big box stores though. ) i can think of a only few majesty that have been in the ground since at least 2011.. Most are still small ( when i look at them on google maps ) only because they don't get the most ideal care they could to achieve the best results/ growth rate. There is only 1 Royal that i have seen in person up that way and it was planted at a larger size. Haven't seen it since 2014  but is apparently still alive. Not planted in an ideal spot / provided the best care. Have heard there might be a couple others scattered around town..

To me, they grow a bit faster than Dates, except maybe Roebelenii, esp if well watered, fertilized properly. Compared to a Royal?.. close, imo,  provided ideal cultivation..

Your plan ( on protecting it the first couple winters, if needed ) should give it a good start.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:44 PM, palmsOrl said:

I would say Ravenea rivularis is worth a try in your location, but the species likes a lot of water and is a heavy feeder to look its best.

Good that our rain season is in summer then. i will make a mound around it then with bricks and concrete to make watering eaisier. Supplemental water is not a problem either since i just pay a fixed fee for it. It likes clay soil or should i ammend? 

@Palmfarmer if Royals can grow where you are, try a majesty.

As everyone says, though, they're hogs for water and fertilizer. @Silas_Sancona's picture is a very nice representation.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.