• Similar Content

• GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      This park is truly a Sabal pametto paradise.  I know, there are plenty of parks in Florida with wild Sabal palmetto forests; however, there is something about the way nature presents itself here that keeps me coming back.  These pictures were taken on Christmas Day of 2020.  I have also seen Roystonea regia and Serenoa repens growing in the park as well.

• GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      So, I have always understood that Sabal species need to have a portion of their heel showing above the ground line when young.  Other palm growers have told me this, and the Palmpedia entry for Sabal palmetto even says the same thing; namely, that “…this is a tillering palm, it exhibits saxophone style root growth (it has a heel), keep top third of heel above soil elevation” (http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Sabal_palmetto).  I have always followed that advise for the Sabal species I have grown (S. palmetto, S. mexicana, S. minor, S. causiarum, and S. uresana), and I have kept a good portion on the heel above ground level (both planted in pots, and planted in the ground).  I have had success in most cases; however, I have come to question the necessity of that “conventional wisdom” recently after a trip to visit my father in Cape Coral, Florida last Christmas.  We went to J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island for a hike and, while there, I paid close attention to the young Sabal palmetto palms that were growing all over the place.  I must have inspected over 60 juveniles, ranging from new seedlings, to palm frond heights of 3 to 4 feet.  I could not find one young Sabal palmetto that was showing a heel.  Most of the juveniles without trunks had their petioles growing straight out of the ground (or sand as the case may be).  Since they are growing wild in habitat, I figure this is how they normally grow.  Below are a few pictures I snapped there depicting this.  Do any of you have thoughts on the necessity of showing heels on your Sabal species?

• Reyes Vargas
      By Reyes Vargas
      Hello I need help with the identification of this palm.  Another member told me that this looked more like a filibusta than a filifera.  How would you go about telling them apart?  Any help would be appreciated.

• edbrown_III
      By edbrown_III
      Looking fer Sabal etonia plants or seeds 

contact me 
      Ed Brown ---- 
    • KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So we live in Lake Charles, La. Recently devastated by hurricane Laura.  While driving around I noticed a fairly large palmetto tree in the ditch that someone removed from their property (4ft trunk). It looks like it will transplant pretty well.  I have a few questions from the experts. Does anyone have experience moving these? How much would one with a 4 ft trunk weigh? Because we would probably have to pick it up by hand to get it in the bed of the truck. ( two 30ish year old guys) 2nd question. Does it look healthy? I feel like it's in perfect shape. Haha. Well any tips and advice would be greatly.  I will attach a picture.  Thanks!
      Kurt