IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmetto washed up on beach. Help!

KsLouisiana

Alright. So I live in Lake Charles Louisiana and about a month ago we took a day trip down to the Cameron Parish beach. For those that don't know this area, the coast is very remote in most parts of Cameron. Not a lot of development.  So we found this palm washed up on the edge of the dunes where everything from the gulf washes up.  It had no leaves left baking out in the salt and sun but a little bit of green on the growth point. So we decided to throw it in the truck and try to rehab it, so we can plant it at our new house in the fall. So we wrapped the roots with dirt and burlap and sure enough it started to grow and even flower in a short amount of time. We definitely know it's some kind of palmetto but not sure what kind. It could even be from the Caribbean or Mexico. Please help identify and give any tips to help the survival. Thanks!20200611_152152.thumb.jpg.4528fd241eb32759921200af33ecc24a.jpg

20200524_164603.jpg

20200524_164611.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

@KsLouisiana

Welcome to PalmTalk!  Pretty incredible recovery!  I'd say it is probably Sabal palmetto.  I'd say make sure that it gets enough water and not to fertilize it for at least 6 months while it recovers.  Hopefully it makes it all the way back to full health.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Thanks! Finally had a reason to post on here. Sabal palmetto was what I was thinking too. But would you or anyone else recommend cutting the flower stems off so it doesn't put energy into that? I'm staying on the watering. Thanks again!

20200627_092731.jpg

20200627_092708.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, KsLouisiana said:

Thanks! Finally had a reason to post on here. Sabal palmetto was what I was thinking too. But would you or anyone else recommend cutting the flower stems off so it doesn't put energy into that? I'm staying on the watering. Thanks again!

I guess you could cut the flowers off to assist it with putting energy into regrowing its crown, but being that it's recovering on its own, I might just let well enough alone.  I'm glad you saved it.  You're welcome!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Sabals palmettos love their water! Glad to see it recovering. That is going to grow to be a very old palm.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Wow, really cool story and find. If it made it through all of that, no doubt you will have it taken care of for life. Best of luck

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Okay so I guess it's been almost 2 years and it's doing great! I just took these pictures this morning.  I'm thinking it's a sabal louisiana.  The leaves are blueish and definitely don't look like a regular sabal palm.  Do people agree? But it makes it even crazier that it survived being transplanted and sitting in saltwater for who knows how long.  But anyways we bought a house last year and But it in its permanent spot. I think the leaves are still getting more elongated and mature every time it pushes out a new one :)

20220320_095031.jpg

20220320_095053.jpg

20220320_095106.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 7

• 6 months later...
On 3/20/2022 at 11:03 AM, KsLouisiana said:

Okay so I guess it's been almost 2 years and it's doing great! I just took these pictures this morning.  I'm thinking it's a sabal louisiana.  The leaves are blueish and definitely don't look like a regular sabal palm.  Do people agree? But it makes it even crazier that it survived being transplanted and sitting in saltwater for who knows how long.  But anyways we bought a house last year and But it in its permanent spot. I think the leaves are still getting more elongated and mature every time it pushes out a new one :)

20220320_095031.jpg

20220320_095053.jpg

20220320_095106.jpg

doubt ill get a reply but any updates?

• Upvote 1

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 10:45 PM, DTS1 said:

doubt ill get a reply but any updates?

Hey so it's doing great! Been growing all summer. Bloomed and now it has seeds. So definitely a success.  Not growing a ton of height but I think it's a sabal minor so it will probably be slow. I just wish I planted it closer to the house and now I can never move it. Lol

20221017_163424.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

That looks to me like a Sabal Louisiana also . Looks less  costapalmate than a Palmetto , but it might outgrow that less costapalmate characteristic in time . So I'm still not sure ? 

Great story .

Will

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

That looks to me like a Sabal Louisiana also . Looks less  costapalmate than a Palmetto , but it might outgrow that less costapalmate characteristic in time . So I'm still not sure ? 

Great story .

Will

Maybe he found the transplant secret sauce….  Keep the base in water for some indeterminate length of time?  

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 4:17 AM, Looking Glass said:

Maybe he found the transplant secret sauce….  Keep the base in water for some indeterminate length of time?  

I have no idea how this ever happened.  It was fried in the surf and looked dead. I thought it was a sabal palmetto and that's the main reason I even brought it home. Didn't think anything else would have a chance. But now I think it is a sabal louisiana.  It resembles the ones over in Avery Island and that area.  It's a trooper! I wish I planted it in a different location and now I know I can never move it lol

• Like 1

If anyone wants seeds from this I will gladly send.

On 1/20/2024 at 2:17 AM, Looking Glass said:

I did that with some Howea palms that were given to me from a construction site. They were potted in sand and left for dead when they dragged them out of a mall , then put in full sun. I got 5 palms and they were very dried out. I soaked them overnight in a wheelbarrow of water , then dug a hole for each one or pair . I used a loose garden soil to plant them and only lost one. I think soaking the root ball in water helped them recover. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, KsLouisiana said:

If anyone wants seeds from this I will gladly send.

PM Sent.

• Like 2

I was just thinking about this palm last week, very awesome :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Here it is today. Looking so much better.  Pm me y'all and I can divide them up and send them in little envelopes. I would like to see this survivor have a bunch of babies

20240122_120920.jpg

20240122_120937.jpg

• Like 4

I didn't know this thread got moved here

• Like 1

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3