KsLouisiana

Palmetto washed up on beach. Help!

KsLouisiana

Alright. So I live in Lake Charles Louisiana and about a month ago we took a day trip down to the Cameron Parish beach. For those that don't know this area, the coast is very remote in most parts of Cameron. Not a lot of development.  So we found this palm washed up on the edge of the dunes where everything from the gulf washes up.  It had no leaves left baking out in the salt and sun but a little bit of green on the growth point. So we decided to throw it in the truck and try to rehab it, so we can plant it at our new house in the fall. So we wrapped the roots with dirt and burlap and sure enough it started to grow and even flower in a short amount of time. We definitely know it's some kind of palmetto but not sure what kind. It could even be from the Caribbean or Mexico. Please help identify and give any tips to help the survival. Thanks!20200611_152152.thumb.jpg.4528fd241eb32759921200af33ecc24a.jpg

20200524_164603.jpg

20200524_164611.jpg

• Like 1

kinzyjr

@KsLouisiana

Welcome to PalmTalk!  Pretty incredible recovery!  I'd say it is probably Sabal palmetto.  I'd say make sure that it gets enough water and not to fertilize it for at least 6 months while it recovers.  Hopefully it makes it all the way back to full health.

KsLouisiana

Thanks! Finally had a reason to post on here. Sabal palmetto was what I was thinking too. But would you or anyone else recommend cutting the flower stems off so it doesn't put energy into that? I'm staying on the watering. Thanks again!

20200627_092731.jpg

20200627_092708.jpg

kinzyjr
Just now, KsLouisiana said:

Thanks! Finally had a reason to post on here. Sabal palmetto was what I was thinking too. But would you or anyone else recommend cutting the flower stems off so it doesn't put energy into that? I'm staying on the watering. Thanks again!

I guess you could cut the flowers off to assist it with putting energy into regrowing its crown, but being that it's recovering on its own, I might just let well enough alone.  I'm glad you saved it.  You're welcome!

• Upvote 1

JLM

Sabals palmettos love their water! Glad to see it recovering. That is going to grow to be a very old palm.

• Like 1

KsLouisiana

Thanks y'all will update in the future. We hope it makes it!

palmsrgreat

Wow, really cool story and find. If it made it through all of that, no doubt you will have it taken care of for life. Best of luck

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Hi everyone, I live in northern middle Tennessee and have been growing palms in ground unprotected for 8 years. Haven’t always been successful by the way. Have a pretty decent collection of non palms also. Anyway to get to the point, I am in the process of planting some potted sabal palmettos and was hoping to pick some of the experts brains on the realistic long term survival of a palmetto in northern Tennessee. I’m fairly deep into this project already and am half tempted to start a post to document and track the whole process if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance
    • Mr.SamuraiSword
      By Mr.SamuraiSword
      As I am presently living in Nashville, I wanted to get the scoop on palms in the area. On a FB palm group (NAPA I believe) I found a guy who lived in Henderson (20 minutes north of East Nashville) Tennessee who offered to show me some of the palms in the area.  I was very surprised that there were any unprotected palms besides Needles and Sabal minor, and was more surprised at how many I saw in a relatively small area.  Ill add he knew of more but It had gotten late, and we plan on doing another palm "hunt" in the future.
      First this large windmill palm near Old Hickory Lake.  According to the owner he bought two windmill palms about 15 - 17 years ago (this being one) while in Orlando around a 5 gallon size after asking about palms to grow in cold hardy climates.   Sadly the other one died (visible in photo) a few years ago after a winter, it simply declined and died.  The guy who was showing me around was pretty sure it wasn't cold damage as it was apparently a mild winter.  This palm has never been protected, and the trunk was about 17 feet tall.  

Notice all these volunteers too.

he also had a smaller one he planted around 8 years ago.  very fat trunk. More volunteers too.

Few other Windmills around the area. This one on a property right on the lake.
      Two more by a pool.

The guy who I went with also had a very impressive garden.   He had some non palms that were still impressive But i will add those at the bottom of this post.
      Sabal palmetto, never protected, under a small roof area, planted 15 years ago.

Another palmetto, this one's first winter.  Not bad damage considering this winter was colder then most, apparently duration wise.
      \
      Needle clump around 20 years old.

Not sure the age on this one.

Lots of nice Sabal Minor, some of these he believes aren't fully sabal because they have outgrown some other Sabal Minor he planted much earlier.  Either way he has around 20 - 25 planted around and had a literal bucket full of fresh seeds.
      These some of the self ID'd Lousiana, sold as Minor. He also said these would sometimes get very mild burn while the full minor didn't.  All were purchased as minor.  

One in back right is Sabal Birmingham.  Two others are minor.

These are apparently full Sabal Minor.  These were older then the others.

Windmills too, planted around 8 years ago dont fully remember.  None of these palms have ever been protected I should add.

Back near the lake, We also stopped at a place with two Sabal Palmetto palms. He apparently had never stopped here to ask so we did.  The owner said he dug up the "palm" in Jacksonville around 15 years ago.  He did not think It was a palmetto, though when we looked we decided it was, and told him as such.  apparently its slower then usual growth rate is due to the owner having a habit of cutting off all fronds with noticeable burn, and ice damage.  We also figured he thought it was a single palm and probably dug up several of them in the same place at once.  Also never protected.   

At the Henderson Memorial park, apparently there used to be a Sabal Minor and Birmingham (the latter donated by my "guide"). The Birmingham died somehow, and the Minor was pulled out after over a decade to put in a trash can (yeah I know).  But down the peninsula, into the woods a little, were many Sabal Minor naturalizing littering the ground, near some swampy areas.  There was easily over 100 mixed in spread out over 100/100 feet 

There were some other houses we passed by with palms,  he knew a person who owned this place, and apparently this a Sabal Birmingham. No other palms on the property

Another windmill. Some of the plants looked like they had been wrapped including this, so we assume some fronds were cooked by Christmas lights. He intends to going back to warn them about it.
      Also 
      also a needle at the same place.

Another home with large Sabal Minor.

They also had a needle and a smaller Minor too.

Now for some of his other rare non palms. Yucca aloifolia for starters. This area really seems like a 7b despite its zone designation.

Sago Cycads, been there at least 5 years, come back every year as perenials. both have green here,

Two live oaks laden with Spanish Moss.

Some kind of Eucalyptus I forgot which one.

I ended up getting one of the Large Windmill palms offspring while we visited.  I have since cleaned it and potted it better, this was the only photo I have.  

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      There was a recent topic about IDing Sabal causiarum, that expanded to include other Sabals: palmetto & domingensis. I mentioned that my causiarum has prominent, papery ligules and the subject of ligules and other species of Sabal came up. Last night I photographed a number of palms on my world famous Sabal Row with a focus on which ones might have ligules. I posted the results below
      Initial Photo: Sabal palmetto, front, Sabal causiarum, behind. Note the size disparity. I germinated the palmetto in 2008, planted it in 2009. I germinated the causiarum a few years later, so while it is several years younger than the rest of Sabal Row, it is by far the largest palm. The other large trunking Sabals have flowered for 3-4 years (we cut off their inflorescenses). The causiarum flowered for the first time in 2020. None of the much smaller palmettos has yet to flower at all.

Sabal causiarum: ligules circled. Another PTer informed us that not all causiarums have prominent ligules so I learned something new.

I choose the next two largest palms in Sabal Row. Their tags disappeared years ago but I suspect at least one of them might be Sabal domingensis or, perhaps, maritima. Maybe someone can settle their IDs. Both are quite large but no match for causiarum - and they are several years older. They have also flowered for the past several years. I found no significant ligules on either palm.
      Sabal domingensis/maritima #1: no ligules

Sabal domingensis/maritima #2: no ligules

Photos below are of the three Sabal palmetto planted on Sabal Row. They were germinated in 2008, planted in 2009 but are midgets compared to the trunking giants around them. Sabal palmetto is the smallest of the trunking Sabals by far, the slowest growing and latest to flower for me. None of them has yet flowered.
      Sabal palmetto #1: Are those little bits attached to the fibers just below the crown ligules? I think not but you decide for yourself.

Sabal palmetto #2: Even less

Sabal palmetto #3: No ligules

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So we live in Lake Charles, La. Recently devastated by hurricane Laura.  While driving around I noticed a fairly large palmetto tree in the ditch that someone removed from their property (4ft trunk). It looks like it will transplant pretty well.  I have a few questions from the experts. Does anyone have experience moving these? How much would one with a 4 ft trunk weigh? Because we would probably have to pick it up by hand to get it in the bed of the truck. ( two 30ish year old guys) 2nd question. Does it look healthy? I feel like it's in perfect shape. Haha. Well any tips and advice would be greatly.  I will attach a picture.  Thanks!
      Kurt

• Palm Tree lover
      By Palm Tree lover
      Hello,
      I got a fishtail palm but haven't transplanted it into a pot until recently. I noticed after a week of not transplanting it from its original container it started to die with brown leaves forming everywhere. I transplanted it into a bigger pot with only two healthy fronds remaining. My fishtail palm is a clumping palm. I also have cut all the dead dried leaves around the palm. It sits next to an east facing window receiving direct to indirect sun everyday and gets watered once a week. Does it have potential for new growth coming back now that all the dead leaves are cut?

Thanks!