KsLouisiana

Palmetto washed up on beach. Help!

KsLouisiana

Alright. So I live in Lake Charles Louisiana and about a month ago we took a day trip down to the Cameron Parish beach. For those that don't know this area, the coast is very remote in most parts of Cameron. Not a lot of development.  So we found this palm washed up on the edge of the dunes where everything from the gulf washes up.  It had no leaves left baking out in the salt and sun but a little bit of green on the growth point. So we decided to throw it in the truck and try to rehab it, so we can plant it at our new house in the fall. So we wrapped the roots with dirt and burlap and sure enough it started to grow and even flower in a short amount of time. We definitely know it's some kind of palmetto but not sure what kind. It could even be from the Caribbean or Mexico. Please help identify and give any tips to help the survival. Thanks!20200611_152152.thumb.jpg.4528fd241eb32759921200af33ecc24a.jpg

20200524_164603.jpg

20200524_164611.jpg

• Like 1

kinzyjr

@KsLouisiana

Welcome to PalmTalk!  Pretty incredible recovery!  I'd say it is probably Sabal palmetto.  I'd say make sure that it gets enough water and not to fertilize it for at least 6 months while it recovers.  Hopefully it makes it all the way back to full health.

KsLouisiana

Thanks! Finally had a reason to post on here. Sabal palmetto was what I was thinking too. But would you or anyone else recommend cutting the flower stems off so it doesn't put energy into that? I'm staying on the watering. Thanks again!

20200627_092731.jpg

20200627_092708.jpg

kinzyjr
Just now, KsLouisiana said:

Thanks! Finally had a reason to post on here. Sabal palmetto was what I was thinking too. But would you or anyone else recommend cutting the flower stems off so it doesn't put energy into that? I'm staying on the watering. Thanks again!

I guess you could cut the flowers off to assist it with putting energy into regrowing its crown, but being that it's recovering on its own, I might just let well enough alone.  I'm glad you saved it.  You're welcome!

• Upvote 1

JLM

Sabals palmettos love their water! Glad to see it recovering. That is going to grow to be a very old palm.

• Like 1

KsLouisiana

Thanks y'all will update in the future. We hope it makes it!

palmsrgreat

Wow, really cool story and find. If it made it through all of that, no doubt you will have it taken care of for life. Best of luck

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• ky_palm064
      By ky_palm064
      Besides the well known Bald Island ecotype, Plant Delights (NC, USA) nursery had the Mt. Holly, Rock Hill, and Tifton Hardy palmettos on their website. Any experience with these?
    • KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Hey experts! So question for y'all.  So my local landscape place has 10'-12' Sabals right now non regenerated for $425. Not a bad deal. I was wondering if y'all think its a good time to plant one mid September.  I have a perfect spot for one and really need one. Haha. Thoughts on if there's enough warmth left in the season in Southern Louisiana zone 9.  I guess it's similar to North or central Florida.  Thanks for the advice y'all!

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Okay palm experts I need y'alls opinions.  So I made a post last year after hurricane laura I found a wild palmetto that was uprooted in the storm.  Loaded it out of the ditch, trimmed its leaves and roots up, put it in the ground. It sat dormant all winter. I kept watering it hoping for some new growth.  I marked a line with the sharpie and saw that it grew about a half inch and then stopped completely for months.  It lost its color and started to look like it was going downhill.  So last week I chopped about a foot of the top of the trunk off and there was rot in the growth area when I inspected it.  I cut down to the "healthy" white looking area, sprayed copper fungicide and now there seems to be a little hope. Just wondering what y'all think is going on. Thanks for the help! Also on a side note, one that we found washed up on the beach is growing unbelievably right now. I will attach pictures. Thanks again! 
      Kurt

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      So I’ve been growing some palmetto seedlings for a few years now and they’re starting to get more palmate fronds. I bought a big thing of Sabal Palmetto seeds a few years ago and they germinated and gave me these. I believe I also bought Sabal minor seeds to scatter around in the woods. My memory is the worst and I’m not sure if I actually germinated a Sabal minor or not. I was looking at some of the seedlings and I was struck by how blue some of them were. Do I have some Sabal minors mixed in or do Palmettos also have this bluish hue when they’re young. Thanks and I apologize for my forgetfulness! 

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      Hi everyone, I live in northern middle Tennessee and have been growing palms in ground unprotected for 8 years. Haven’t always been successful by the way. Have a pretty decent collection of non palms also. Anyway to get to the point, I am in the process of planting some potted sabal palmettos and was hoping to pick some of the experts brains on the realistic long term survival of a palmetto in northern Tennessee. I’m fairly deep into this project already and am half tempted to start a post to document and track the whole process if anyone is interested. Thanks in advance