• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

To identify please

Max974

Mate, you are probably right, I wish that the plant that I grew as 'Red Form' was as red as that.  It never was though, mine probably never was 'Red Form', from the look of that.   Mine is flowering unsuccessfully at the moment.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

No, it is not a Hyophorbe indica. This palm is unknown to me, the seed may come from Madagascar. He has saxophone roots ...

• Upvote 1

I am stumped but its driving me crazy because it looks familiar.  Mabe some kinda raffia 

It doesn't look like a H. Indica red.

I have a potted small one and the petioles are more orange than red. Also the base of the plant is nothing like the OP's pics.

20200627_113822.jpg

20200627_113836.jpg

20200627_113828.jpg

20200627_113845.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

If it’s not a Lemur then I’d guess Calyptronoma plumeriana. 

Edited by MattyB

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

13 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

It doesn't look like a H. Indica red.

I have a potted small one and the petioles are more orange than red. Also the base of the plant is nothing like the OP's pics.

The Max974 palm will not be a Hyophorbe indica (the "saxophone", for example, is not visible in the photo), however the color of the indica in the juvenile phase is very variable, I have had one of the same color as the Max palm.

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

• 2 months later...

This Dypsis was identified by the President of the "Fous de Palmiers de France", our friend Pierre-Olivier Albano, it is Dypsis perrieri.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, Max974 said:

This Dypsis was identified by the President of the "Fous de Palmiers de France", our friend Pierre-Olivier Albano, it is Dypsis perrieri.

This is a beautiful dypsis. I wish I had one for the garden but the trees that are at florabunda have not set seeds yet

4 hours ago, Fusca said:

At that size it looks like an unarmed tropical Butia!  Beautiful!

Add colorful to that statement =) 

• Upvote 1

T J 

13 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Voici une photo de celui de florabunda 

20200930_123058.jpg

20200930_123109.jpg

Magnificent!!! I hope mine will turn out beautiful too!

At Jeff it's always exceptional, a world reference!

• Upvote 1