IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Queen Palm

DAVEinMB

Well some of you may have seen in another thread that I am the proud new owner of a small queen palm.  So I'm second guessing my planting location (par for the course) and wanted to get some additional opinions on whether or not I'm setting it up for failure. 

The first two pics were taken this morning at 10:30 and show how shaded the area still is. It gets good sun all afternoon but my fear is without morning sun it may struggle. The good thing with this location is that it's nestled in a little cove between some larger palms, retaining wall and the neighbors fence. The last three pics show the potential new location. It would be up against the house and next to the HVAC unit. This is an east facing wall that gets morning sun but very little the rest of the day. The dryer vents out in this area as well which could be beneficial I suppose. I've planted some bamboo as a wind break and could plant more if needed. 

Thoughts?

20200626_100825.jpg

20200626_100844.jpg

20200626_101006.jpg

20200626_101023.jpg

20200626_100936.jpg

• Like 2

I assume that you selected that spot for extra winter protection.  True, morning sun definitely helps with quicker warm ups on frigid mornings, but depending on the current position the canopy effect of the bigger palms and neighbor's magnolia? might make up for it.  I'm guessing that your house faces north and it's planted on the southeast corner of the house?  Looks like you've got plenty of room to put it in more full sun and still get some canopy benefit from the Washingtonia.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 6/26/2020 at 7:04 PM, Fusca said:

I assume that you selected that spot for extra winter protection.  True, morning sun definitely helps with quicker warm ups on frigid mornings, but depending on the current position the canopy effect of the bigger palms and neighbor's magnolia? might make up for it.  I'm guessing that your house faces north and it's planted on the southeast corner of the house?  Looks like you've got plenty of room to put it in more full sun and still get some canopy benefit from the Washingtonia.

Exactly, that's one of the most protected places in the yard as of right now. There's no direct overhead canopy from any of the trees but they do form a cove around it. There's a large magnolia, arborvitae, and pine on my neighbor's side of the fence that sit parallel to the sabal and washingtonia. I took a screen shot of my house's plan view showing the compass. The front of the house faces NE and the current planting location is SE (red dot) . The area against the house that is my second option also faces SE and has overhead canopy from two 35' pines (yellow dot). It's noon now and that area is still in full sun.  Pics attached. 

20200628_120625.jpg

20200628_111431.jpg

That's definitely an interesting decision!  I second guess my planting locations also so I understand completely!  I guess other considerations would be ease of watering since Syagrus like a lot of water and will you be able to enjoy it as much in the new spot.  If your proposed area (yellow dot) gets relatively the same amount of sun as it currently does it might be a better spot.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

That's definitely an interesting decision!  I second guess my planting locations also so I understand completely!  I guess other considerations would be ease of watering since Syagrus like a lot of water and will you be able to enjoy it as much in the new spot.  If your proposed area (yellow dot) gets relatively the same amount of sun as it currently does it might be a better spot.

Welp I've talked myself into moving it haha. The yellow dot gets the same amount of sun if not more in the winter but less in the summer.  It gets morning to early afternoon sun vs early afternoon to evening. Watering won't be an issue either

• Like 1

Move complete. 

Got it up against the house and under decent canopy from both the house and neighboring pine. It's about a foot away from the dryer vent so I'm going to take advantage of that additional heat with pavers around its base. 

I also plan on adding some giant timber bamboo at the corner of the white fence. Prolly won't benefit the queen much but I think it will make for a nice feel on the path towards the "jungle" area. 

20200629_093519.jpg

20200629_093532.jpg

20200629_093544.jpg

20200629_095704.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Move complete. 

Got it up against the house and under decent canopy from both the house and neighboring pine. It's about a foot away from the dryer vent so I'm going to take advantage of that additional heat with pavers around its base. 

I also plan on adding some giant timber bamboo at the corner of the white fence. Prolly won't benefit the queen much but I think it will make for a nice feel on the path towards the "jungle" area. 

20200629_093519.jpg

20200629_093532.jpg

20200629_093544.jpg

20200629_095704.jpg

Looks great! I would scoot that mulch about 6” from the base of the trunk or it may cause rot in the future.  Planting next to the dryer vent is a great idea!!

The only concern I'd have is that they can get really big around the trunk and being that close to the house might cause some dramas as the palm gets big.

Screenshot_20200703-144924_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-144918_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-144914_Gallery.jpg

11 hours ago, D Palm said:

Looks great! I would scoot that mulch about 6” from the base of the trunk or it may cause rot in the future.  Planting next to the dryer vent is a great idea!!

Thanks! Yea good call I need to move that mulch back a bit. 

The dryer may not help at all but hey it's worth a shot!

9 hours ago, sandgroper said:

The only concern I'd have is that they can get really big around the trunk and being that close to the house might cause some dramas as the palm gets big.

Screenshot_20200703-144924_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-144918_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-144914_Gallery.jpg

I stared at it awhile after moving it and was also wondering if it was too close. In reality some cold event will probably take it out before the trunk gets big enough to become an issue. I'll get the tape measure out after while and get a pic of how far I have it from the house.

• Like 1

Oh, on a side note I purchased a silver queen from MPOM - should be here next week. Im going to trial it vs the other queen and see how they compare.

• Like 3

Try to source a Uruguay queen. I got the two I have from Tom, but I believe Woodlands got a bunch of seed from Tom as well & was selling small plants.

Looks like he hasn't been on in a while. Look up Tom McClendon, he's down in St Marys GA....

Edited by Laaz

@sandgroper here's the clearance between the base and the house. Definitely could have given it a little more breathing room but maybe it'll be fine if it lives to maturity

20200704_133908.jpg

• Like 1

I had a queen survive two years on the south side of the home when I lived in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It got too big so I moved it and then the cold killed it. I had pines growing above in the same situation as you!

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

2 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

I had a queen survive two years on the south side of the home when I lived in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It got too big so I moved it and then the cold killed it. I had pines growing above in the same situation as you!

This right here excites me 

• Like 1

Sucks for me! I have barely any canopy around my house except for other peoples trees which dont extend far enough over the fence to matter. All of my queens are exposed to north winds, but they survived this winter why not more?? Trunks are also getting beefy aswell, planted less than a year ago. Wont be long until you will have a giant growing up against your house! 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

15 hours ago, JLM said:

Sucks for me! I have barely any canopy around my house except for other peoples trees which dont extend far enough over the fence to matter. All of my queens are exposed to north winds, but they survived this winter why not more?? Trunks are also getting beefy aswell, planted less than a year ago. Wont be long until you will have a giant growing up against your house! 

Fingers crossed brother!

• Upvote 1

Welp proximity to the house has been plaguing me all damn week so I decided to give it some more breathing room haha. While I was at it I moved it towards the front of the house a bit in order to give planting room for the silver queen. My plan is to plant the silver in the spot marked in red. This will give both queens pretty much the same growing conditions so tracking differences should be easy. 

20200707_175200.jpg

20200707_221854.jpg

20200707_221913.jpg

• Like 1

This queen palm has been moved quite a bit and looking very good! Cant wait for a comparison!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

While I was at it I moved it towards the front of the house a bit in order to give planting room for the silver queen.

Dave, were you unable to locate a Uraguay queen from Woodlanders or Tom McClendon?  That would be the one to compare with the standard queen as Todd recommended.  I don't think there's much difference with the "silver queen" in cold hardiness.

Jon Sunder

4 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Dave, were you unable to locate a Uraguay queen from Woodlanders or Tom McClendon?  That would be the one to compare with the standard queen as Todd recommended.  I don't think there's much difference with the "silver queen" in cold hardiness.

The order for the silver was placed prior to Todd turning me on to the Uruguay queen. I browsed the Woodlander site and didn't see any listed for sale but I haven't reached out to Tom yet, I'll send him a message today. If I am able to get a hold of the Uruguay I may try a slightly more aggressive spot with it. Im thinking more along the lines of where I originally had the one I brought back from Charleston. 

1 minute ago, DAVEinMB said:

The order for the silver was placed prior to Todd turning me on to the Uruguay queen. I browsed the Woodlander site and didn't see any listed for sale but I haven't reached out to Tom yet, I'll send him a message today. If I am able to get a hold of the Uruguay I may try a slightly more aggressive spot with it. Im thinking more along the lines of where I originally had the one I brought back from Charleston. 

If you're able to get a Uruguay queen you might be able to find a spot to give it more room since it should survive longer for you!  :)  I didn't see anything on the Woodlander site either but maybe they have such a small quantity that it wasn't worth it to them to update their website.

Jon Sunder

26 minutes ago, Fusca said:

If you're able to get a Uruguay queen you might be able to find a spot to give it more room since it should survive longer for you!  :)  I didn't see anything on the Woodlander site either but maybe they have such a small quantity that it wasn't worth it to them to update their website.

Ok message sent to Tom, what the hell I'll just give Woodlander a call haha

Woodlander is completely sold out. Said they should have some seedlings for next season. 

• 4 months later...

So here's a December update

I have elephant ears sited all around my property and they are proving to be a nice gauge of microclimate. First 3 pics show locations with south and east exposure up against the house shielded from north and west winds. These spots also have decent natural canopy. Last 2 pics are locations exposed to north and west winds with no canopy. Pics taken this morning. 

Lowest temp recorded in my yard so far was 32f. I don't plan on protecting the queen unless we drop below 25. Any bets on how long the elephants stay perky and green? :D

20201205_074249.jpg

20201205_074301.jpg

20201205_074312.jpg

20201205_074340.jpg

20201205_074353.jpg

3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

So here's a December update

I have elephant ears sited all around my property and they are proving to be a nice gauge of microclimate. First 3 pics show locations with south and east exposure up against the house shielded from north and west winds. These spots also have decent natural canopy. Last 2 pics are locations exposed to north and west winds with no canopy. Pics taken this morning. 

Lowest temp recorded in my yard so far was 32f. I don't plan on protecting the queen unless we drop below 25. Any bets on how long the elephants stay perky and green? :D

20201205_074249.jpg

20201205_074301.jpg

20201205_074312.jpg

20201205_074340.jpg

20201205_074353.jpg

I like the siting, especially since  you moved it out from the house.  You will still run into fronds hitting the house when / if it matures, but that isn't too bad of a thing to deal with.   

You def clearly can see the microclimates in your yard based on the elephant ears.  

It seems like based on this elephant ears might be something to experiment with next winter. I might get several and place around in the yard in different places and see where i might be able to pull something off.

4 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I like the siting, especially since  you moved it out from the house.  You will still run into fronds hitting the house when / if it matures, but that isn't too bad of a thing to deal with.   

You def clearly can see the microclimates in your yard based on the elephant ears.  

I really hope that space becomes an issue, would be super cool to have a mature or semi mature queen in the yard. We're gonna keep the fingers crossed. 

I didn't site the elephant ears for that reason but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, haha. Between them and my acurite weather station I'm getting solid info from around the property. 

3 hours ago, JLM said:

It seems like based on this elephant ears might be something to experiment with next winter. I might get several and place around in the yard in different places and see where i might be able to pull something off.

It's awesome real time visual feedback. I have a number of smaller elephant ears and a musa basjoo on that side of the house that still look great as well. 

• Like 2

All the bajoos and elephant ears around here got toasted. My crape myrtles have a top layer of crispy leaves now. Hurricane Sally came through and blew all the leaves out, they were still growing out leaves when the freeze hit. I dug up my elephant ears because i have plans with them for spring. We have dug up 2/3 tree stumps in the front yard, we have big plans for that area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JLM said:

All the bajoos and elephant ears around here got toasted. My crape myrtles have a top layer of crispy leaves now. Hurricane Sally came through and blew all the leaves out, they were still growing out leaves when the freeze hit. I dug up my elephant ears because i have plans with them for spring. We have dug up 2/3 tree stumps in the front yard, we have big plans for that area.

Here's the same wall of the house. Pic taken this morning, these plants have all been through 3 frosts.

20201206_073148.jpg

20201206_073203.jpg

20201206_073208.jpg

20201206_073228.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Woodlander is completely sold out. Said they should have some seedlings for next season. 

Did woodlanders confirm it would be a Uruguay queen?

On 7/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, Laaz said:

Try to source a Uruguay queen. I got the two I have from Tom, but I believe Woodlands got a bunch of seed from Tom as well & was selling small plants.

Tom, Is the one you have close to flowering ?

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Did woodlanders confirm it would be a Uruguay queen?

The parent tree is from Uruguay. They have some in stock now

3 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

The parent tree is from Uruguay. They have some in stock now

I’ll hit them up later today , thanks ! I tell you they are amazing there , always so helpful