IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pruning with reciprocating saw

mxcolin

My Date Palm has 4 baby date palms at the bottom. I want to get rid of them and I'm planning to do it with a reciprocating saw. My plan is to first cut in below the suckers where the large stubs are, then cut down through them to get them off. I don't want to keep the babies just get rid of them so I'm only concerned about the main tree. Anyone done this before? I've looked for tutorials online etc. but they are thin on the ground. Any advice or tutorials you know of for this?

Date Palm.jpeg

Not sure what you are worried about, but just get that saw in there at a 90 degree angle and rip off until you have access to the young ones?

• Like 1

Apply a heavy dusting of powdered sulfur to all the wounded surface area after you have completed the excision.  Saw away !  

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Would Copper Fungicide work?

16 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Apply a heavy dusting of powdered sulfur to all the wounded surface area after you have completed the excision.  Saw away !  

Never tried that, I do use liquid copper spray on palm seedlings.  Powdered sulfur is a standard item in well stocked plant nurseries, cheap, non-toxic and long lasting.  The important point is that you want protection for the duration of the time necessary for the wounded surface to dry up.  

San Francisco, California