Thailand Garden

What's killing my Royal Caribbean Palms?

Thailand Garden

Can anybody tell me what is killing my palms?  I've lost a few like this in the last few years.  I would really like to try to save this one as it's part of a set along the road, and have a remedy for future.  I've lost Royal Caribbean Palms like this one and Champagne palms.  They show clear signs of distress as fronds grow poorly and bunch up, crown starts to grow narrower and wither like this one.   There's what appears to be rot at the top of the trunk at the crown.  They seem to rot out inside.  I don't see any obvious signs of infestation.  If you have any ideas I'd sure appreciate it. 

Thank you so much!

Mike

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

• Like 1

James B

Wow! That’s really sad. Especially at that size. 

Thailand Garden

Yes, @James B - It's a reoccurring problem.  We've lost of few like this.  They seem to entirely rot out inside.  It's a shame.  Being so large they are hard to get close enough to the top to see what's causing the damage.  I had a Champagne palm die in the same way which I had a close look at, but couldn't see what was causing the problem.  We have tried spraying with a general mixture of chemicals used here for pests on farms and African oil palms which are common here, not certain if that helped or not.  This palm suffered in a similar way last year or the year before and I'm sad to see the return of this problem.  Thanks for your note.

gilles06

That's a fungus attack , but i don't know why? It seems too late to recover for this one...

Thailand Garden
27 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

That's a fungus attack , but i don't know why? It seems too late to recover for this one...

Thank you very much.  I'd like to be prepared in future if this happens again, as this is not the first occurrence.  It's rainy season here now, and I think previous cases have occurred usually in rainy season.  This palm is in a very well drained sunny location.  Are there generic products or treatments that would be effective in these cases (I don't know if specialty brands and products could be found here in Thailand)?  Thank you for your help! 

Thailand Garden

Here are some photos of what I think is likely the same problem, this is a champagne palm I lost a while back.  Completely rotted out inside.  Thank you.

IMG_20190801_122727408.jpg

IMG_20190801_122745475.jpg

Edited by Thailand Garden
  • Like 1

gilles06

Wow... that's painfull. I am not an expert in tropical palms and deseases, because i am in a mediterranean climate. What you can do is to use fungicide on healthy plant. Where you live did you notice same problem?

Thailand Garden
20 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Wow... that's painfull. I am not an expert in tropical palms and deseases, because i am in a mediterranean climate. What you can do is to use fungicide on healthy plant. Where you live did you notice same problem?

We have had this problem several times.  Nobody in our area plants the variety of palms we do (mostly only oil palms and a few others that are very common here), so I don't have a sense for how typical these problems are with these palms here.  I will look for some fungicide.  Thank you for your help. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• chocolatethunda
      By chocolatethunda
      Hi all,

I've bought a few Wodyeta Bifurcata "Foxtail Palm" seedlings and everything seemed to be well but then the fronds color started becoming lighter. It keeps growing and shooting spears but a lighter color.

I am not sure if it is from • Overwatering • Underwatering • Disease • Nutrient deficiency.
      If anybody can help out with some tips or approach as to this situation would be greatly appreciated. See pictures below:

• RaychHasDatePalms
      By RaychHasDatePalms
      My mom is simplifying her plant collection and gave me two of what I think are parlor palms. My dad had accidentally put them directly into the sun after a long winter, so they did get sunburnt... but you know, that can be dealt with. 

We discovered after the fact, though, that they have huge amounts of SCALE. She’d had no idea and feels terrible. 

What do you think, are these past help? If not, is it safe to trim off the worst branches and then use Dawn on the rest over the course of a few weeks? If so, should I quarantine them away from my other plants, since I so far do not have scale in my own garden? Idk how readily it spreads outside. Or do we just toss both of the trees?

Here are my quick snaps: 

(Also, I have no idea what the black is)

• Jason S.
      By Jason S.
      In a shaded section of my yard I have some Ivory Canes, Kings, Shaving Brush, and Flame Throwers. Older fronds are turning a dark brown and dying prematurely. I pulled back the leaf base sheath of one of the Kings and did not see any pink rot or other fungus. I live in central coastal San Diego, CA 92122. I deep water them once a week. I have clay soil. Any idea what would be causing this?

• Thor78
      By Thor78
      Can anyone tell me the type of disease that have infected my Chamaerops Humilis, and give me an advise on what to order online to control the pest? It is a kind of mite, that I can tell. Very small ones, making a fine web and sucking from the leaves, which have become all grey. After taking theese pictures, I put the palm in the shower to literally wash and flush off the mites, and cut off the worst looking leaves, hoping the palm will get new energy not having to feed to many of the mites at the same time as growing. 
      I also have some palms with another type of scale/mite , if anyone have a good suggestion to a good treatment (systemic?) which is harmless to the palms, please tell me.
      I also want to share my method which is probably unusual but quite effective. If a palm is infected by exterior pest, one might (optionally) spray soapy water on all infected surfaces, and after a while flush off using a pressure washer. Palm leaves are stiff and hard and tolerate pressure washing, just start at some distance and go closer to find out what pressure the leaves can take without tearing up. I find the method great, but it doesn't cope with pests inside the leaves or stems.
      Pic. #1 and 2 showing my Chamaerops
      Pic #3 showing some other palm's pest, leaves turning yellow/brownish and dull

• Thailand Garden
      By Thailand Garden
      A photo is attached of a Champagne palm completely eaten out inside.  Last year something similar happened to a Caribbean Royal Palm. 
      Could be we have more than one problem.  We often have very stunted palms (Betel nut and others) which appear to be infested with ants inside the crown shaft and coming out of the growth point, but from what I read the ants are generally not the root of the problem (but can’t see what is).  In other places I’ve seen little insects or these white deposits like in the last photo (hard to see, used zoom). 
      I’d like to get a good pesticide regiment to use annually that would take care of most of these problems so we don’t lose palms.  We are in Thailand and have to source product here, so active ingredients or organic solutions are more useful than brand names. 
      Any input you have would be most appreciated.  Thank you.