• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's killing my Royal Caribbean Palms?

Thailand Garden

Can anybody tell me what is killing my palms?  I've lost a few like this in the last few years.  I would really like to try to save this one as it's part of a set along the road, and have a remedy for future.  I've lost Royal Caribbean Palms like this one and Champagne palms.  They show clear signs of distress as fronds grow poorly and bunch up, crown starts to grow narrower and wither like this one.   There's what appears to be rot at the top of the trunk at the crown.  They seem to rot out inside.  I don't see any obvious signs of infestation.  If you have any ideas I'd sure appreciate it. 

Thank you so much!

Mike

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, @James B - It's a reoccurring problem.  We've lost of few like this.  They seem to entirely rot out inside.  It's a shame.  Being so large they are hard to get close enough to the top to see what's causing the damage.  I had a Champagne palm die in the same way which I had a close look at, but couldn't see what was causing the problem.  We have tried spraying with a general mixture of chemicals used here for pests on farms and African oil palms which are common here, not certain if that helped or not.  This palm suffered in a similar way last year or the year before and I'm sad to see the return of this problem.  Thanks for your note.

That's a fungus attack , but i don't know why? It seems too late to recover for this one...

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

27 minutes ago, gilles06 said:

That's a fungus attack , but i don't know why? It seems too late to recover for this one...

Thank you very much.  I'd like to be prepared in future if this happens again, as this is not the first occurrence.  It's rainy season here now, and I think previous cases have occurred usually in rainy season.  This palm is in a very well drained sunny location.  Are there generic products or treatments that would be effective in these cases (I don't know if specialty brands and products could be found here in Thailand)?  Thank you for your help! 

Here are some photos of what I think is likely the same problem, this is a champagne palm I lost a while back.  Completely rotted out inside.  Thank you.

IMG_20190801_122727408.jpg

IMG_20190801_122745475.jpg

Edited by Thailand Garden
  • Like 1

Wow... that's painfull. I am not an expert in tropical palms and deseases, because i am in a mediterranean climate. What you can do is to use fungicide on healthy plant. Where you live did you notice same problem?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

20 hours ago, gilles06 said:

Wow... that's painfull. I am not an expert in tropical palms and deseases, because i am in a mediterranean climate. What you can do is to use fungicide on healthy plant. Where you live did you notice same problem?

We have had this problem several times.  Nobody in our area plants the variety of palms we do (mostly only oil palms and a few others that are very common here), so I don't have a sense for how typical these problems are with these palms here.  I will look for some fungicide.  Thank you for your help.