IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Reducing Shock and Acclimatizing Licuala peltata var. 'sumawongii'

Jason S.

I’ve had a harder time acclimating palms from FL than anywhere else. I think it’s the high humidity they’re used to and shock when they are exposed to California’s dry air. That said, there are things you can do to lessen the shock. There are some fairly effective anti-aspirant sprays that you can use on the top and bottom of the leaves and keep the palm’s soil moist at all times. 

This Licuala came from Florida several years ago as a tiny two leaf seedling and it took a number of years to grow much. I’m in Northern CA though. It’s happy now. I don’t think mine will ever have those umbrella sized fronds you see on them in the tropics. 

DB48F840-3275-4F6E-B604-3E86FBA6F9BF.thumb.jpeg.a33815496888d03a663eaf8af99dd010.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

53 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I’ve had a harder time acclimating palms from FL than anywhere else. I think it’s the high humidity they’re used to and shock when they are exposed to California’s dry air. That said, there are things you can do to lessen the shock. There are some fairly effective anti-aspirant sprays that you can use on the top and bottom of the leaves and keep the palm’s soil moist at all times. 

This Licuala came from Florida several years ago as a tiny two leaf seedling and it took a number of years to grow much. I’m in Northern CA though. It’s happy now. I don’t think mine will ever have those umbrella sized fronds you see on them in the tropics. 

DB48F840-3275-4F6E-B604-3E86FBA6F9BF.thumb.jpeg.a33815496888d03a663eaf8af99dd010.jpeg

That looks nice and healthy. I didn't realize that would even survive up in Northern CA. Hopefully, I can keep mine it that good of condition.

I am currently acclimating a Ylang Ylang I got from FL as well. I put it in a protected area next to a clump of heavily composted and mulched heliconia. It seems to be doing well there. I'll do the same with the Licualas and mulch heavily keeping the base open. As for the "anti-aspirant sprays" something like this, http://wiltpruf.com/?

5 hours ago, Jason S. said:

That looks nice and healthy. I didn't realize that would even survive up in Northern CA. Hopefully, I can keep mine it that good of condition.

I am currently acclimating a Ylang Ylang I got from FL as well. I put it in a protected area next to a clump of heavily composted and mulched heliconia. It seems to be doing well there. I'll do the same with the Licualas and mulch heavily keeping the base open. As for the "anti-aspirant sprays" something like this, http://wiltpruf.com/?

The WiltPruf should help. I’ve used it a number of times. I’m in zone 10a here in the South Bay Area so I have a number of Licuala in my landscape. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I'm not sure if the Peltata Sumawongii is similar to the Licuala Grandis in terms of moisture requirement.  I bought two Grandis from MB Palms 2 years ago and he was growing them in pots with no bottom holes.  The only holes were hand-made punches about 2 inches up the sides.  I suspect he bought pots with no holes and then custom punched the pots so that the bottom would always have standing water.  I don't know if that is a good idea with Peltata, but my Grandis have been happy in the soggy-bottom pots and filtered sun here.

19 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I'm not sure if the Peltata Sumawongii is similar to the Licuala Grandis in terms of moisture requirement.  I bought two Grandis from MB Palms 2 years ago and he was growing them in pots with no bottom holes.  The only holes were hand-made punches about 2 inches up the sides.  I suspect he bought pots with no holes and then custom punched the pots so that the bottom would always have standing water.  I don't know if that is a good idea with Peltata, but my Grandis have been happy in the soggy-bottom pots and filtered sun here.

As far as I know, all Licuala appreciate constantly moist soil. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

29 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

As far as I know, all Licuala appreciate constantly moist soil. 

Can I just water everyday as long as I mix in a good portion of bark for drainage and aeration?

2 hours ago, Jason S. said:

Can I just water everyday as long as I mix in a good portion of bark for drainage and aeration?

They like wet soil. Super good drainage is actually a negative. If potted, regular potting soil is best. All mine are in the ground in a fertile loam with some clay. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

10 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

They like wet soil. Super good drainage is actually a negative. If potted, regular potting soil is best. All mine are in the ground in a fertile loam with some clay. 

I have one in a pot that gets a ton of sprinkler water and is in full sun most of the day. It has been in the pot for several years now, does not drain well and often stays wet.  It is happy as a clam and it pushes full leaves out.  In the foreground on the right.

IMG_0569.JPG

• Like 2

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon