Makaisland Palms

Your best indoor Dypsis lutescens

Makaisland Palms

Dypsis lutescens is a very common palm to get at the box stores just about everywhere.  For many of us we are stuck keeping it indoors in containers.   What is the best outcome you have seen for this? Just looking for a goal to look forward to with this one!   

I've had mine about 4 years now, and it's slowly inching up and bulking up.  Fronds top out at about 6 feet now but that's including the pot. It's pictured outside in full sun right now, but that is only for the next 10 minutes while I give it a solid watering and spray off some mealybugs.  Then it's back indoors to bright indirect light.

Anywho, show me the best you've got, something I can strive for!

IMG_20200622_123549147.jpg

• Like 1

Funkthulhu

I hate to admit that I had a pretty good start on my Lutey and then I put it outside in full sun a month ago. 

I'm sure it will look nice again by the time I bring it in before snow...

Makaisland Palms

Yeah, I was a bit too eager this spring as well.  Fried a few of my collection, and they're just now starting to look better

Makaisland Palms

I know that especially indoors, at a smaller size, the idea is to have a nice bushy looking plant.  But does anyone thin out some of the smaller suckers to concentrate growth on the main shoots?  Try to get some nice height to it so it feels more palm TREE like and less palm shrub?  

• Upvote 1

cisco

I separated punch of D.lut small seedling 2 years ago.  I don't like them in the multi stem pot.  It's fun to follow growth when a palm is allowed to grow alone. My palm has already produced one off spring.

20200617_115305.jpg

Makaisland Palms

Looks good!  Maybe I'll try to separate a few when I repot mine.  Do yo think that it has grown faster as a single?

cisco

I'm sure it will be faster when it grow alone.