WaianaeCrider

Jubaeopsis caffra

WaianaeCrider

Part of the description of this palm:  "grows naturally on the banks of two rivers,"   "Likes a sunny, well drained position, with ground water."

Believe me only the "likes a sunny" is the only part that describes this planting in the Wai`anae,  O`ahu desert.  Planted on a dry hillside terrace w/only irrigation twice a week for 30 min each time.

First planted in 2005 the other a year or two later.  Quite happy in my sunny desert. The two photos show view from opposite sides of the planting.  I believe my 60% average yearly humidity helps.

JubaeopsisCaffra0.jpg

JubaeopsisCaffra-20200618_112802.jpg

JubaeopsisCaffra-20200618_112839.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Meangreen94z

Nice, an elusive palm for me.

Jim in Los Altos

Nice specimen, Steve!

Mine, here in Northern CA is in mostly all shady shade and is in constantly moist but well draining loam soil. I think these are fairly adaptable palms to different conditions. 

32F3A6DD-11BB-47C1-B98C-F3FBFA0E81B2.thumb.jpeg.171aae507be8e2971dfe4156ec0ac2c1.jpeg

A918A54A-4E29-4E56-84E8-81E13E98C2F6.thumb.jpeg.29871fff0f478fb07b0715e64512387c.jpeg

A91D2B15-361F-405C-8550-10DBF2D8BE57.thumb.jpeg.8dcf84bdb89b01c7737141c015e20855.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

akamu

These are great-looking Palms. Jim  yours looks fantastic for being grown in shade it looks better than most of the ones I  have seen growing in full sun. I really need to get one of these in the ground. 

• Like 1

Palm Tree Jim

Jim, yours does look great for being in shady conditions. When I first planted mine, it seemed to want to settle in its new home and was very slow at pushing growth. I’m guessing it was setting up the root structure to secure its future success. After about 2 years, it continues to push leaves all 12 months for me. Slow growing yes, but it’s starting to look good.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos
9 hours ago, akamu said:

These are great-looking Palms. Jim  yours looks fantastic for being grown in shade it looks better than most of the ones I  have seen growing in full sun. I really need to get one of these in the ground. 

The ones I’ve seen in mostly shade all look lusher and healthier than full sun grown ones. It’s sort of like what Rhopalostylis sapida looks like when sun grown versus in the shade.