IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 

64D13485-79D8-493B-AE56-F1F58DA27998.jpeg

DE92CF58-6A9E-4C37-8E98-41FFFB5B910A.jpeg

0359078D-6F0B-4F9D-ADDE-2C7F19BCC177.jpeg

CF9EFF6C-F479-4BD2-A794-D3B802777EFF.jpeg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

Cut off the lowest 2 fronds and forgetaboutit! Plant it in the ground,or a larger decorative pot and stand back. It will be very happy to escape that restrictive pot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200425_120959600.jpg

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

It could be physical damage to that one frond during transport.  But it also looks like Fusarium, which is 100% fatal and spreads quickly to nearby palms.  If it's just that one frond I'd clip it off and dispose of that frond in the trash, not into a compost bin.  Separate it out from your other palms and keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks.  If no other fronds get that typical Fusarium "one-sided-death" symptom then it was probably just bent or broken in transport.  If other fronds show one-sided death symptoms then trash the whole thing asap before it spreads to your other Queens or Washies.

I have several adult Washingtonia and pretty much all them exhibit this when the oldest leaf is dying. Yours looks perfectly normal. A slightly bigger pot would be nice and a thorough watering three times per week this time of year. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

That's just the older frond(s) dying off. Don't worry about it. Washies push out fronds fast enough to replace any lost ones. 

That also doesn't look like a Robusta to me. Too many fibres and a fair bit of green on the base of the petioles. It looks similar to one of my Filibusta hybrids. 

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Thanks, it’s just the pattern of it dying that is worrying me. This is a picture of it from Monday. Only a bit more died on it. I’ll be closely watching it. 

4F4FBCD1-D673-41D3-AE35-451A92CD6549.png

PalmTreeDude

Looks fine. My washingtonias do that when they reclaim nutrients from old fronds. Don't worry if you only see it in the oldest fronds. Let the leaves completely dry out before cutting them, that means all nutrients have already been extracted.

IMG_20200629_112355.thumb.jpg.86a7f18db213991337af4037ba8428d9.jpg