PalmTreeDude

Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 

64D13485-79D8-493B-AE56-F1F58DA27998.jpeg

DE92CF58-6A9E-4C37-8E98-41FFFB5B910A.jpeg

0359078D-6F0B-4F9D-ADDE-2C7F19BCC177.jpeg

CF9EFF6C-F479-4BD2-A794-D3B802777EFF.jpeg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

aztropic

Cut off the lowest 2 fronds and forgetaboutit! Plant it in the ground,or a larger decorative pot and stand back. It will be very happy to escape that restrictive pot.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200425_120959600.jpg

Edited by aztropic

Merlyn2220

It could be physical damage to that one frond during transport.  But it also looks like Fusarium, which is 100% fatal and spreads quickly to nearby palms.  If it's just that one frond I'd clip it off and dispose of that frond in the trash, not into a compost bin.  Separate it out from your other palms and keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks.  If no other fronds get that typical Fusarium "one-sided-death" symptom then it was probably just bent or broken in transport.  If other fronds show one-sided death symptoms then trash the whole thing asap before it spreads to your other Queens or Washies.

PalmTreeDude

I just clipped it off, not sure how good this is looking. 

26D1D4D7-3E5A-4B9C-AA5E-7B7A75F2F24A.jpeg

Jim in Los Altos

I have several adult Washingtonia and pretty much all them exhibit this when the oldest leaf is dying. Yours looks perfectly normal. A slightly bigger pot would be nice and a thorough watering three times per week this time of year. 

UK_Palms

That's just the older frond(s) dying off. Don't worry about it. Washies push out fronds fast enough to replace any lost ones. 

That also doesn't look like a Robusta to me. Too many fibres and a fair bit of green on the base of the petioles. It looks similar to one of my Filibusta hybrids. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Thanks, it’s just the pattern of it dying that is worrying me. This is a picture of it from Monday. Only a bit more died on it. I’ll be closely watching it. 

4F4FBCD1-D673-41D3-AE35-451A92CD6549.png

Dimovi

Looks fine. My washingtonias do that when they reclaim nutrients from old fronds. Don't worry if you only see it in the oldest fronds. Let the leaves completely dry out before cutting them, that means all nutrients have already been extracted.

IMG_20200629_112355.thumb.jpg.86a7f18db213991337af4037ba8428d9.jpg