IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia ID

Dimovi

In my novice opinion it looks like a a regular C. odorata just more of a Stricta type, maybe someone with more knowledge can chip in.

Is that freeze damage? If so, it gets really cold where those Butia are planted. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Is that freeze damage? If so, it gets really cold where those Butia are planted. 

I think that's salt spray damage - depending on what part of the island it's in either zone 9b or zone 10.

Jon Sunder

It is salt damage, the island is zone 10, there are coconuts there, though it may not be for long.

433655202_IMG_20200617_1436332.thumb.jpg.ae73e3565654b5b189364e309d1a554f.jpg

I was just wondering why it was so slender and the fronds more straight. Maybe it was grown in shade.

44 minutes ago, Dimovi said:

It is salt damage, the island is zone 10, there are coconuts there, though it may not be for long.

I forgot to get a shot of the Thrinax by the coconut, good to see it's doing well.! There´s a much nicer coconut about 100 feet away on the same street as the one you photographed. The most robust one is located bayfront on W Campeche St. It hasn´t been very cold at all '- last winter's low was 37F and the year before was 42F. A lot of the stuff on the island is neglected and not getting adequate water, tropical stuff actually looks better way inland in McAllen even though the lows are slightly lower.  PM me if you want to see the rest of the coconuts/palms of interest on SPI. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

On 6/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Butia odorata. 

So both Butias are the same?

Maybe the one on the left was grown in more share and the other one in full sun.

6 minutes ago, Dimovi said:

So both Butias are the same?

Maybe the one on the left was grown in more share and the other one in full sun.

When you walk a large field growing operation you will see a wide variety of leaf characteristics in butia even though all 1000 palms were grown from seed from two trees on the nursery premises.   The look of that butia has nothing to do with sun or soil or anything else. It is just expressing recessive physical traits that are buried somewhere in its genetic code.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree 100%.  For example, I'm growing a Butia from a seed collected from an exceptionally blue specimen and it is greener than any of the others that I have.  They are quite variable.  Even flower color, fruit color and fruit size can vary.

Jon Sunder

@TexasColdHardyPalms I did not expect Pindos to have so much variability considering that they are monoecious and should have lower heterozygosity than diecious palms like Dates.
I have about 100 Pindo seedlings and i'm looking forward to see what features I get.