mwardlow

I get to keep my Royal Palm.

mwardlow

After a couple of years of crushing events, the last one completely crushed my 6 foot perfect dypsis psammophila, I was considering taking out my Royal since I couldn't plant anything under it. I didn't want to pay for someone to bring out a boom truck to cut off or tie off the fronds every time one was ready to fall.  So I came across these guys who use a slingshot to setup Ham radio antennas in remote locations. So I copied an idea and built my own. All you do is shoot it over the petiole of the one ready to come off, tie paracord to the fishing line, pull it over, tie a loop on the end of the paracord, thread it through and cinch it on the petiole. Then shoot it over the next one to come off, pull it over and tie it off to another palm or anchor it to the ground or house. When the leaf finally comes off just lower it down without damage to anything or anybody. Took a few tries but was successful. Though I would share since I'm not the only one with this problem. It's one of my favorites in the garden and didn't want to lose it.

Royal 2.jpeg

Royal 3.jpeg

Royal 4.jpeg

Royal 1.jpeg

Slingshot.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Xerarch

Awesome idea, would love to see it in action to see just how it works. 

PalmatierMeg

That is ingenuity.

Cindy Adair

As the owner of many big Royals, your post caught my attention. 
About how long does it take to remove one frond?

WaianaeCrider

I have two Royals and lucky I have a big enough yard so I never planted anything under them to worry about getting clobbered.

DoomsDave

Wow @mwardlow brilliant!

I wonder, would it work on a Roystonea like this?

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_06/232373829_fosters2.jpg.59d07cb8adb108d4fee1e11435ed5e12.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

James B
4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Wow @mwardlow brilliant!

I wonder, would it work on a Roystonea like this?

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_06/232373829_fosters2.jpg.59d07cb8adb108d4fee1e11435ed5e12.jpg

Lol. Perhaps a rocket launcher to get it up that high?

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Sorry Mike 

Devil done got into me

mwardlow

Thankfully Dave, mine won't be out of range for quite a while :) but you can shoot that thing quite high. Took almost no effort at my height and I would guess I can get it over another 30 feet.  Cindy, It took me a few tries to get it where I wanted it on both the frond ready to come off and over the one to support it. You have to decide how early you want to get the line up there. The green para-cord is noticeable but it is nice not to have to worry about it falling on a palm a plant or a person. Once it is tied off you just have to wait until it comes off and then just untie the line and lower it to the ground which takes about a minute.

• Like 1

dalmatiansoap

As lineman I would always recommend a pair of pole climbers :)

Butch

Cool idea...

Butch

DoomsDave
13 hours ago, mwardlow said:

Thankfully Dave, mine won't be out of range for quite a while :) but you can shoot that thing quite high. Took almost no effort at my height and I would guess I can get it over another 30 feet.  Cindy, It took me a few tries to get it where I wanted it on both the frond ready to come off and over the one to support it. You have to decide how early you want to get the line up there. The green para-cord is noticeable but it is nice not to have to worry about it falling on a palm a plant or a person. Once it is tied off you just have to wait until it comes off and then just untie the line and lower it to the ground which takes about a minute.

The Hoopers would have loved this! And you, too. They also had a Royal tall enough to really put things to the test, about 70-80 feet tall, though I might be exaggerating a bit. The thing was huge.

TikiRick

I too have a massive Royal that crushes all beneath. Almost me included once. 
I’d like to see this in action as I’m a bit confused. Could you film a short video here?

Presumably this is for a dying frond that is browning, not a green one that’s snapped and hanging.

Once in Hawaii I saw an invention there on all Royals in public places. It was three thick elastic bands (think flat 6” bungee cords) that wrapped around the entire crow shaft. 
These held the dead frond intact to the trunk, preventing damage or injury below.

However it did require a bucket truck to elevate, unstrap, remove, restrap. 

It’s not practical for most of us, I know. 

I love my Royal, but it is a massive crash. Thankfully it’s far from my metal roof.