IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I get to keep my Royal Palm.

mwardlow

After a couple of years of crushing events, the last one completely crushed my 6 foot perfect dypsis psammophila, I was considering taking out my Royal since I couldn't plant anything under it. I didn't want to pay for someone to bring out a boom truck to cut off or tie off the fronds every time one was ready to fall.  So I came across these guys who use a slingshot to setup Ham radio antennas in remote locations. So I copied an idea and built my own. All you do is shoot it over the petiole of the one ready to come off, tie paracord to the fishing line, pull it over, tie a loop on the end of the paracord, thread it through and cinch it on the petiole. Then shoot it over the next one to come off, pull it over and tie it off to another palm or anchor it to the ground or house. When the leaf finally comes off just lower it down without damage to anything or anybody. Took a few tries but was successful. Though I would share since I'm not the only one with this problem. It's one of my favorites in the garden and didn't want to lose it.

Royal 2.jpeg

Royal 3.jpeg

Royal 4.jpeg

Royal 1.jpeg

Slingshot.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 4

MLW

Awesome idea, would love to see it in action to see just how it works. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

That is ingenuity.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

As the owner of many big Royals, your post caught my attention. 
About how long does it take to remove one frond?

Cindy Adair

I have two Royals and lucky I have a big enough yard so I never planted anything under them to worry about getting clobbered.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Wow @mwardlow brilliant!

I wonder, would it work on a Roystonea like this?

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_06/232373829_fosters2.jpg.59d07cb8adb108d4fee1e11435ed5e12.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Wow @mwardlow brilliant!

I wonder, would it work on a Roystonea like this?

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_06/232373829_fosters2.jpg.59d07cb8adb108d4fee1e11435ed5e12.jpg

Lol. Perhaps a rocket launcher to get it up that high?

• Like 1

Sorry Mike 

Devil done got into me

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thankfully Dave, mine won't be out of range for quite a while :) but you can shoot that thing quite high. Took almost no effort at my height and I would guess I can get it over another 30 feet.  Cindy, It took me a few tries to get it where I wanted it on both the frond ready to come off and over the one to support it. You have to decide how early you want to get the line up there. The green para-cord is noticeable but it is nice not to have to worry about it falling on a palm a plant or a person. Once it is tied off you just have to wait until it comes off and then just untie the line and lower it to the ground which takes about a minute.

• Like 1

MLW

13 hours ago, mwardlow said:

Thankfully Dave, mine won't be out of range for quite a while :) but you can shoot that thing quite high. Took almost no effort at my height and I would guess I can get it over another 30 feet.  Cindy, It took me a few tries to get it where I wanted it on both the frond ready to come off and over the one to support it. You have to decide how early you want to get the line up there. The green para-cord is noticeable but it is nice not to have to worry about it falling on a palm a plant or a person. Once it is tied off you just have to wait until it comes off and then just untie the line and lower it to the ground which takes about a minute.

The Hoopers would have loved this! And you, too. They also had a Royal tall enough to really put things to the test, about 70-80 feet tall, though I might be exaggerating a bit. The thing was huge.

I too have a massive Royal that crushes all beneath. Almost me included once. 
I’d like to see this in action as I’m a bit confused. Could you film a short video here?

Presumably this is for a dying frond that is browning, not a green one that’s snapped and hanging.

Once in Hawaii I saw an invention there on all Royals in public places. It was three thick elastic bands (think flat 6” bungee cords) that wrapped around the entire crow shaft. 
These held the dead frond intact to the trunk, preventing damage or injury below.

However it did require a bucket truck to elevate, unstrap, remove, restrap. 

It’s not practical for most of us, I know. 

I love my Royal, but it is a massive crash. Thankfully it’s far from my metal roof. 

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!