Sign in to follow this  
The Gerg

Last Friday, This Friday.......Hedyscepe

The Gerg

Last Friday I did this.....

I bought an unexpected find at my local Green Thumb nursery. I go there once or twice a week just to get away from my work desk. I wasn’t looking for anything and God knows I really don’t need anything else at this time. Nonetheless, never letting that stop me before I couldn’t pass this beauty up because this is rare to find at nurseries in my neck of the woods.

58A393C9-D26A-4273-B36C-BF9DD5DBFD4F.thumb.jpeg.b96d38a25bc81855d4a51955cd5d1097.jpeg

This Friday (today) I did this........

I put her in the ground. Perhaps not the most ideal spot as far as the elements go but quite frankly it’s about my only option left at this point. Other locations available would be more of a gamble. It will be pretty much shaded all morning through early afternoon. It will get late afternoon sun and exposed to our Santa Ana winds when they occur. My fingers are crossed. I had never planned on putting a Hedyscepe in this spot but what was I going to do, not buy it? 

AE64469F-8F99-45F2-9A69-5E5E67F8E4AB.thumb.jpeg.810467777317d9140931eaa924f70cd1.jpeg3FC42086-9482-4CEF-837A-DEE6400D6FEA.thumb.jpeg.44c4132ffa61f84e80c96e6ea9db306f.jpeg

727C4F80-58CB-4A00-8183-B9E0B130F0CC.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 3

Darold Petty

Very nice, one of my favorite palms !  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Matt in OC

It looks like a nice Howea to me. It’s a beautiful palm, in any case!

tim_brissy_13

It’s definitely Hedyscepe, but from the looks of the stretched petioles and droopy leaflets, I’d say it’s been grown in fairly deep shade. Might be worth temporarily protecting it from sun until it adjusts  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

tim_brissy_13

By the way, amazing find at a local nursery. That would be impossible to find here or cost a small fortune. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tassie_Troy1971

Great find

I have 4 growing down here in Coastal Tasmania and 1 has just started trunking ( grown from seed in 2010 )

cool almost frost free climate like SFO summers like SLO central coast

94443496_2379985972291516_5135538201653411840_n.jpg

94599071_1142777562737639_4132841484690915328_n.jpg

94775936_563833667573349_6827704227641425920_n.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

joe_OC

Great find!  The droopy, flat plained  fronds really threw me off.  The leaf base says Hedyscepe to me.

Darold Petty

Troy, great to see you back on Palmtalk !  Your palm is the best example of the kelp extract benefits !   :greenthumb:

The Gerg
8 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

It looks like a nice Howea to me. It’s a beautiful palm, in any case!

Believe me I was thinking the same thing how the leaves look Howea, and trust me, the nursery I got this from wrongly labels these rarer palms frequently when they get them. In fact they had this palm and a Chambeyronia Macrocarpa and guess which label was on this one??? You got it. This one was labeled as Chambeyronia Macrocarpa. The actual CM was labeled as Hedyscepe canterburyana. They were both the same price. I have pointed out to them in the past that they had palms mislabeled (where the prices did not match) but they didn’t bother to change the labels so I didn’t feel bad when I bought the cheaper palm that should have been the more expensive palm.

But I digress, the leaves look Howea to me too. So I looked at Palmpedia at other Hedyscepe’s and there are a couple others in the “marginal climate” section with the droopy leaflets. I assume this will start taking the more “V” shape off the rachis as it gets older. The trunk definitely looks Hedyscepe and actually has that sort of curve at the base that they get.

Tracy
4 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Great find!  The droopy, flat plained  fronds really threw me off.  The leaf base says Hedyscepe to me.

It makes me question whether Hedyscepe could be hybridized with a Howea?  I looked at photos of both mine which are growing in varying degrees of deep shade to moderate shade and while the leaflet tips are a bit droopy, there is still significant "V" coming off the rachis.

The Gerg
47 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It makes me question whether Hedyscepe could be hybridized with a Howea?  I looked at photos of both mine which are growing in varying degrees of deep shade to moderate shade and while the leaflet tips are a bit droopy, there is still significant "V" coming off the rachis.

I was pondering the same thing. When I first saw this to be honest I was like “oh, what have we here”? Then I read the label and it said Chambeyronia Macrocarpa. I was like “nope”. Then I read the label of the Chambeyronia macrocarpa next to it and it said Hedyscepe canterburyana. That’s when I was like “oh, that’s what it is”. So my point is it didnt jump out at me to be Hedyscepe at first either. But even with the Kentia looking leaves when you see it in person it is obviously not a Howea forsteriana. If it is a hybrid I would be ok with that. I wonder if Hedyscepe can have this kind of variable to it?

Here’s another close up of base. Even a “cleaned” kentia would have some yellow marbling to it.

266B1484-0B28-47E9-B876-635CDD2B7486.thumb.jpeg.79cb159b53a8a16ee49e291af60ec304.jpeg

Tyrone

I doubt you could cross a Howea with. Hedyscepe. But a Howea cross Laccospadix may work. That’s definitely a full blood Hedyscepe and a beauty at that.

• Upvote 1

Matt in OC

Hedyscepe is a shade palm. Why would the leaflets be so droopy even if grown in deep shade? It looks very healthy. 

TomJ

Do NOT let it dry out.

Especially if exposed.

• Upvote 1

TomJ

Keep us updated next spear it throws out.

Curious what next leaf will look like as well.

• Like 1

Matt in OC
2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Hedyscepe is a shade palm. Why would the leaflets be so droopy even if grown in deep shade? It looks very healthy. 

Sorry, to be clear, I’m not trying to be obtuse. :D

• Like 1

The Gerg
26 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Sorry, to be clear, I’m not trying to be obtuse. :D

No, you raise good questions. I’m starting to just think that these can have variation to the leaves sort of the way D. Prestoniana does with “big curly “ or D. Onilahensis does with the “weeping form”. Maybe this droopy leaf is just more of a rare variation for Hedyscepe. :huh:

But that is just my uneducated speculation.

• Upvote 1

Darold Petty

Leaf blade can vary from almost flat to keeled & recurved.  I believe it is both genetic and a response to light levels.  I have five plants in ground,  the ones with overhead cover have a more flat blade.   TassieTroy's palm is typical for one grown under an open sky.   Here is a photo of mine, and then a habitat shot . 

IMG_4210.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

PalmCode

True, it's probably due to the low amount light it's had. Much like Rhopalostylis they can almost look like kentias in deep shade. Either way that's a interesting form of Hedyscepe.

Edited by PalmCode

Jim in Los Altos

Mine has fairly droopy leaflets as well. It grew incredibly slowly for several years until I started watering it almost daily and it produces up to five leaves per year now. Early morning sun and a touch of late afternoon sun here. No Santa Ana’s though. 

45A70844-5C83-4EB6-A28A-E39D3B10282F.thumb.jpeg.ceabb42fd2ee086f09734efa835b55b8.jpeg

2176420D-3C24-4B08-8E40-AA95411D9740.thumb.jpeg.6256a5e69e640cb33dc3bd2ace22b651.jpeg

3EA35626-F7F5-4E30-B3C9-C0726780413C.thumb.jpeg.0c875bce022612b93831249d17d92fd6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

PalmCode

I haven't found any photos on the internet of Hedyscepe with the form yours has...

Since the two Genus are closely related. I'll post a photo of a ''Kentia'' looking Rhopalistylis sapida growing in deep shade I took today. All the other Rhopalistylis near it were more upright than this one.

100_6497[1].jpg

100_6496.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The Gerg

Wow. I would never have known that was a R. sapida.

• Like 1