IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floribunda Order 6-18-20

PalmatierMeg

I wanted to make a Floribunda order in March after the winter chill faded away. Then we were forced into lockdown by the corona virus and I had to abandon my order plans. All I could do was dream vicariously while viewing other PTers' bounty. In early June, FL began to "reopen" so I worked up a new order and submitted it to Jeff.

Yesterday afternoon I received my Christmas and birthday gifts combined: a big, long box of my favorite things - Palms! Other girls can keep their Jimmy Choos.

Today I took the following photos of my hard-earned bounty

Group Photo

1571053605_FloribundaOrder0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.5b2ee742875b305a7a0548188fc70d8e.JPG

4" Pots: Front Row - Basselinia pancheri, Dypsis minuta x2

Back Row - Dypsis ifanadianae, Licuala terengganuensis, Hydriastele beguinii, Ravenea sambiranensis

1070930149_FloribundaOrder0206-18-20.thumb.JPG.5b39ba490ac789cc05578690aefd9786.JPG

Dypsis rosea

766048218_DypsisroseaFloribunda0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.e5a0e320d9aa7a5cdaaa799198f5df8b.JPG

Ravenea hildebrandii, 1g

1272495106_RaveneahildebrandiiFloribunda0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.9c807ec09f0af6daf9a7b1fdd9f52167.JPG

Areca oxycarpa, 1g

1004280029_ArecaoxycarpaFloribunda0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.e57adb2c12253e135ae1eb0f3668252a.JPG

Calyptrocalyx pachystachys, 1g

2144590925_CalyptrocalyxpachystachysFloribunda0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.ccc4cc659837e0ee30cd5f161d14a23f.JPG

Euterpe sp 'Orange Crownshaft', 1g

1033838662_EuterpeOrangeCrownshaftFloribunda0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.485b03e6bee7f57107235ee8b83d3237.JPG

Pinanga maculata, 1g

1193667485_PinangamaculataFloribunda0106-18-20.thumb.JPG.ff2bd73a8387b94180260f5316171989.JPG1951385246_PinangamaculataFloribunda0206-18-20.thumb.JPG.00846970224aab29b7a1063610950c1c.JPG

In the small blue basket are three Coccothrinax spp and two Colpothrinax cookii seedlings

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Woohoo! nothing better than getting new plants. You chose wisely. Happy plant unwrapping day!

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Just now, Tracy S said:

Woohoo! nothing better than getting new plants. You chose wisely. Happy plant unwrapping day!

Thanks. I'm really chuffed.

Meg

Florida

This is like Christmas, but any time you wish, and guaranteed to be a gift that you like!  :mrlooney:

San Francisco, California

It's amazing the way they pack everything into that box.  No way anything could shift inside during shipping.  LOL  Bet it took years to get that down pat.   Enjoy.  I've got 3 of my 17 in the ground and perhaps 2 more today depending on the weather.  Little bit of rain right now.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I am delighted for you Meg!  As I think I have noted in the past, you and I seem to have similar tastes in palms.

A friend and I recently went in on an order, so I can really share in your excitement.  Will finally have Cyrtostachys elegans, Cyrtostachys bakeri and possibly Licuala cordata after an 11 year search.

Thanks, all. Ten years ago I went the Cyrtostachys renda and elegans route. I kept them on the back lanai under shadecloth in pots set in trays of water. Never let those trays go dry. They thrived in FL summer heat/humidity and under shadecloth their leaves stayed rich, dark green. They cannot survive winter in the ground in Cape Coral, certainly not in Orlando but I'm sure you know that. Their pots sat on wheeled dollies and when lows fell below 45-50F we wheeled the dollies indoors until days exceeded 75F. I was told they are highly susceptible to cold weather fungus so each November I sprayed them with a solution of Dithene M-45 and water. In 6 years both lipsticks grew to 9' tall on their dollies and were flirting with the top of our birdcage. Their pots had grown so heavy and awkward we had trouble wheeling them indoors/outdoors. So, I sold them. Miss them but won't go that route again.

Cyrtostachys elegans, 2012

733444558_Cyrtostachyselegans0610-7-12.JPG.04e35981711bf47ac67231461028b4bc.JPG973549789_Cyrtostachyselegans0310-7-12.JPG.84a0304ddd4552a9f665c45dd4aca404.JPG

Cyrtostachys renda, 2012

594431012_Cyrtostachysrendalg032-19-12.JPG.bb38f850841e7a99dfea26218287ac88.JPG

Cyrtostachys renda in front, Cyrtostachys elegans behind

348427857_Cyrtostachysrendasm012-19-12.JPG.63e14a7310f796cd5b2fcb94328c2948.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

I am delighted for you Meg!  As I think I have noted in the past, you and I seem to have similar tastes in palms.

A friend and I recently went in on an order, so I can really share in your excitement.  Will finally have Cyrtostachys elegans, Cyrtostachys bakeri and possibly Licuala cordata after an 11 year search.

Post photos when you get them.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Ooo la la, a parcel to anticipate and celebrate it’s arrival. Shopping has never been so fun. It makes me happy that you’re happy.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This explains why Jeff told my there was a 2 week backlog when I sent an order in... LOL!  Nice haul, @PalmatierMeg!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

This explains why Jeff told my there was a 2 week backlog when I sent an order in... LOL!  Nice haul, @PalmatierMeg!

He told me the same thing. No complaint - a backlog of orders means business is good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Great selection of palms Meg! Have fun!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I confirmed today in a conversation with Jeff that I snagged like the last Licuala cordata seedling.  From his care instructions it sounds like a handful, but I like a challenge. 

I will definitely post photos of the new plants as soon as they arrive.  Cyrtostachys bakeri is brand new to cultivation so I am particularly excited about this one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I confirmed today in a conversation with Jeff that I snagged like the last Licuala cordata seedling.  From his care instructions it sounds like a handful, but I like a challenge. 

I will definitely post photos of the new plants as soon as they arrive.  Cyrtostachys bakeri is brand new to cultivation so I am particularly excited about this one.

I considered L. cordata then chickened out. Good luck with yours.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

7 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I'd try it BUT at age 77 I'm to old to mess with seedlings.   LOL   Only buying 1 gallon and larger palms.  LOL

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

wow what a score! I'm dieing to put in an order but been unemployed! Hoping I get a really good month from my nursery so i can splurge on some palms!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking for:  crytostachys hybrids, Pseudophoenix sargentii Leucothrinax morrisii, livingstona canarensis

Hey Meg what was the shipping cost to your place? I'm in Central florida and was trying to figure a roundabout number for shipping thanks

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I considered L. cordata then chickened out. Good luck with yours.

It sounds like it will basically live out 5 months in a small (then large) terrarium each year.  Should it ever get too large for me to maintain in this fashion, I will donate it to someone in South FL who is seriously into palms and who owns a greenhouse (or I might sell it).

He said the Licuala cordata will arrive in a tiny pot or a baggy with sphagnum and that if it starts to desiccate, I should create a terrarium for it with a 1 gallon zip lock bag and a couple chop sticks, leaving it open during the night and closing it during the day and that alternatively if I am at home during the day I could mist it gently several times during the day.  If it still desiccated, bag it!  Well, I am already going to be misting my new tree ferns 3 times per day, so this will not be a problem.

I at first discounted having to do this in the summer weather here but then he described having to take these steps on the Big Island in the rainforest as his humidity has "been dipping down to 58% during the day sometimes", which is apparently really dry by their standards.  I thought, "Hell, the humidity regularly drops to 40-45% during the afternoons here during the summer rainy season, like it has been lately, though it usually stays more like 45-60% during wetter periods."  This is referring to during the afternoons (really like 11am-6pm) before it rains (if it does).  

Jeff Marcus also mentioned that the rare Licualas tend to have very tiny root systems relative to the amount of top growth visible.  Thus, one can have a six inch tall seedling with a few 1/4 inch roots to supply the young plants.

So needless to say, this one is going to require some substantial special care but due to its small size even at maturity, in the unlikely event I get everything right and grow it to maturity, it might get its own custom built terrarium as I think this is the most extraordinary looking small palm species by far.

Definite words of wisdom by Jeff Marcus, a truly passionate expert in the field, so prospective and current growers of rare Licualas take note of the above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reeverse said:

Hey Meg what was the shipping cost to your place? I'm in Central florida and was trying to figure a roundabout number for shipping thanks

Eric,

Although the costs can vary depending on the plan sizes and quantities, I typically plan about 30% for the plant cost for packing and shipping on my Floribunda orders. It sounds like a lot but when you see the package you will understand a  lot of care went into making sure your plants arrive safely.

I love unwrapping my Floribunda packages. Jeff and Suchin are amazing. (I also bought the L. cordata and the L. obicularis. :w00: )

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

4 hours ago, Reeverse said:

Handling/packing = $25.00

2-day Shipping from HI to FL = $38 & change. The box was almost as long as I am tall  and weighed a ton.

I bought $169 worth of palms

Treat yourself once a year - you'll be glad you did.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

You choice of plants is amazing.  Those colpothrinax are amazing and think they will do nicely in your garden 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Handling/packing = $25.00

2-day Shipping from HI to FL = $38 & change. The box was almost as long as I am tall  and weighed a ton.

I bought $169 worth of palms

Treat yourself once a year - you'll be glad you did.

Thank you so much for the info!! I'm making a list and ordering next week. That Ravena looked amazing for a 1gal