IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Third times a charm, right?

JLM

I decided to get another coconut from Publix. I figured i would try again since it has warmed up, and the house is now warmer and brighter. There is a room in the house that never falls below 80 degrees, i will keep it in there as it has no current ventilation. Are there any other methods that dont require plastic bags? I dont have any and Walmart is overhauling the store so things have been moved around or taken off the shelf. The coconut is from Guayana and it is pretty small in terms of size. It is full of water though!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I can’t answer your question, but I admire your persistence. Good luck. I hope it works out for you this time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JLM said:

I decided to get another coconut from Publix. I figured i would try again since it has warmed up, and the house is now warmer and brighter. There is a room in the house that never falls below 80 degrees, i will keep it in there as it has no current ventilation. Are there any other methods that dont require plastic bags? I dont have any and Walmart is overhauling the store so things have been moved around or taken off the shelf. The coconut is from Guayana and it is pretty small in terms of size. It is full of water though!

The bulk of successes I've seen with dehusked coconuts have used a freezer bag to replicate the effect of a husk or were already sprouted in the store.  Doesn't mean it will never work, but just anecdotal observations.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I can try to hunt one down somewhere in the house. There is one somewhere :lol:

Is there any possible way to keep it from molding? Last two i tried molded and rotted from the inside. @kinzyjr

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, JLM said:

I can try to hunt one down somewhere in the house. There is one somewhere :lol:

Is there any possible way to keep it from molding? Last two i tried molded and rotted from the inside. @kinzyjr

Good question.  I don't grow them without the husk typically, but Southern Ontario Palms and Tropicals on YouTube has some decent videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUabeQODArQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG-LOEf80Sk

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Thanks for the links! Videos were very informative. I dont have the aquarium heater though. But maybe if i keep the bucket outside in the light and the rays it will keep the water warm.

• Like 1

@kinzyjr The water temp is sitting at about 89F. Is this too hot or is that perfect?

6 hours ago, JLM said:

@kinzyjr The water temp is sitting at about 89F. Is this too hot or is that perfect?

I wouldn't say that is too hot.  Shouldn't be hot enough to damage a coconut embryo, at least.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

• 3 weeks later...

@kinzyjr @The Gerg

Third time was a charm!!! It germinated!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Third time was a charm, but third time didnt last long. It started slowing down, even in heat and humidity. Its finally let go right after Sally hit, it was brown, and just broke off. The browning had started before Sally hit, which i was trying to nurse, but it kept getting worse. The 4th coco is in the germination process.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

About 3 or 4 coconuts later.....i finally got another to germinate. Anybody with more experience have any recommendations to keep what happened last time from happening again?

PS...I germinated it in a tide detergent container on the heat mat which is set to 100°F. Water temp was probably around 70°F to 75°F the entire time.

How long are you leaving the in the water? I'm wondering if it's too long, and the warm, unfiltered environment becomes a paradise for pathogens which then finish off the coconut. I'd suggest getting it into a pot as soon as you have enough root such that the growing tip can be buried without any danger of drying out.

I germinated many dehusked coconuts (I lost count now). I use transparent plastic storage boxes with aquarium heating cable and thermostat. I keep the temperature in the range between 25-30 degrees celcius or 7 7-86 degrees Fahrenheit. The key is heat and humidity.. Of course I also discarded more coconuts then I successfully germinated but it's a continuous fun project. As one can see I use two different types of setups.. Initial setup where the litter tray is outside of the water on 4 click type food containers filled with water (some unsuccessful coconuts leak their water in the tray which stinks but at least using the tray is easier to clean). In second phase the litter tray is submerged in water and I used pots filled with aquarium gravel with each sprouting coconut on each pot. In second phase I use grow light.  Also one needs to cut slits in lids to pass heating cable and thermostat sensor (ideally the heating part of the heating cable isn't too close to the thermostat sensor otherwise there will be inaccurate cut off of the thermostat). I hope the photos will help 

IMG_20220128_222305~2.jpg

IMG_20220128_222546~2.jpg

IMG_20220128_222520~2.jpg

IMG_20220128_222513~2.jpg

IMG_20220128_222913.jpg

IMG_20220128_222621.jpg

IMG_20220128_222612.jpg

IMG_20220128_222501.jpg

IMG_20220124_200107.jpg

IMG_20220128_223041.jpg

IMG_20220128_223122.jpg

IMG_20220128_223113.jpg

IMG_20220214_142044.jpg

IMG_20220214_142115.jpg

IMG_20220322_175832.jpg

• Like 1

The embryo fell out :/

It's a common thing. Yes they literally sometimes explode away from the nut.. Like a miscarriage on plant level