IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SOS! I need help with my windmill palm :)

CarlaDC

Is it possible these yellow marks and overall lightening of the green of all fronds are due to over fertilizing? I was doing the method of using an auger in the ground (which I won’t do from now on) and putting fertilizer in the holes. I recall now I accidentally put two much fertilizer a couple months ago. Like twice as much...and then didn’t think much of it and fertilized again 6 weeks later as per the directions. Now I see these marks on the fronds and as mention,  all fronds are significantly lighter. 

How can I fix this?

palmdamage.jpg

Others will be more qualified to answer your question, but Welcome to PalmTalk !  :) 

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

Well you can't fix those fronds - they are what they are.  Stop fertilizing for the year and maybe do some heavy long lasting deep soaks with a garden hose to try and water down the fertilizer and get it flushed away from the palm.

I can say I don't pay much attention to how much fertilizer I put down, i put what I think but I don't drill it into the ground.  What type of fertilizer are you using?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Well you can't fix those fronds - they are what they are.  Stop fertilizing for the year and maybe do some heavy long lasting deep soaks with a garden hose to try and water down the fertilizer and get it flushed away from the palm.

I can say I don't pay much attention to how much fertilizer I put down, i put what I think but I don't drill it into the ground.  What type of fertilizer are you using?

I am using Garden Pro Palm and Tropical 9-3-9.

So you do think it is burn then?

Should adding epsom salt or fish fertilizer also be avoided? These were suggested on another forum as people thought it was just winter damage. 

So the yellow line was from before or after? 

I have seen that yellow band before in a couple newly planted palms the following spring.  It's usually from the cold, I've heard it called a frost line.  That's what I thought I was looking at before you said you put too much fertilizer. 

Generally speaking if the newest spear is nice and green, I wouldn't worry at all about this palm.  

I can't speak to the epsom salt, I know some people like to use it,  but the fish fertilizer should be no issue it's a pretty mild fertilizer.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 5:11 PM, Chester B said:

So the yellow line was from before or after? 

I have seen that yellow band before in a couple newly planted palms the following spring.  It's usually from the cold, I've heard it called a frost line.  That's what I thought I was looking at before you said you put too much fertilizer. 

Generally speaking if the newest spear is nice and green, I wouldn't worry at all about this palm.  

I can't speak to the epsom salt, I know some people like to use it,  but the fish fertilizer should be no issue it's a pretty mild fertilizer.

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed this far after the cold/frost was gone. I assumed this was due to the fertilizer as I can't think of what else it was (we haven't had extreme sun/heat that could burn it).

In ground I would only use Palmgain or Osmocote outdoor.  Epson salt I would not do.  Don't drill holes in the ground.  Keep the palm well watered and it will get better but current fronds are as is.  

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

19 hours ago, CarlaDC said:

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed this far after the cold/frost was gone. I assumed this was due to the fertilizer as I can't think of what else it was (we haven't had extreme sun/heat that could burn it).

I still think its probably cold damage.  You don't see it until they push out some growth as it happens down in the crown.  I still think this palm will be just fine as you see the newer part of the frond is nice and green.

• Like 1