• Similar Content

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello All!!! 
      I know its early but I am prepping for next summer! I am in Mesa arizona, so it gets hot here.  Recently I have purchased some encephalartos cycads and a Dioon. I have all of them in pots and have zero shade in my yard. I am going to be building a 16×16 shade area next summer and I am wondering for encephalartos what would be your opinion on the best percentage? So far I have seen 50 percent, but wondering if anyone has had any luck with a lower percent. 
      As a side note, I am looking at aluminet shade cloth which acts as a mirror and reflects heat away from the shade structure. 

Thanks for your time! 
    • Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! Just wanted to get opinios on how fast it takes a cycad in the seedling stage to develop a caudex? 
      I know there are many types of cycads that grow and different rates. 
      My personal favorite cyads right now are encephalartos. 
      What is the typical rate from seedling to developing a small caudex for encephalartos? 
      Is it better to pay for something that has a caudex developed or stick with seedlings and watch them grow?
      Also what is the typical amount of time for germination?
    • Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello!! Wanting to repot my encephalartos lehmannii into a nice pot as the pot it is currently in came from the nursery. 
      I am trying to figure out the best soil for it. My concern is if it drains too fast will it not be able to absorb water and nutrition.  
      I have two options I am thinking of and the screen shots show the ingredients. Is there one you would recommend based on the ingredients? I have tried black and gold before, just not sure if it would be considered too fast draining. 
      And if there is another kind of soil, I am all ears. :). I want to do this right as it will be in a pot for at least a few years. 
      Also I read online that terra cotta pots that are unglazed are the best option? Any thoughts on what would be best for here in arizona.
      Thank you for your time. 

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      I was away for a few days and returned to my sago palm flush looking like this. 
      The fronds leaflets seem short and when it finishes unraveling looks like its going to be skinny. Also i notice some of the new fronds are curving downward. 
      Is this a water issue? I have three irrigation lines on it with no top. I also had someone water it by hose once while I was gone. 
      Also I notice the fronds a little yellow. 
      Is there any saving this flush?
      P.s I love in arizona and it has been pretty hot.

• Jason S.
      By Jason S.
      What species of cycad is this? The caudex is a bit smaller than a volleyball,