IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

While one of the most widely planted plants here in the desert, way too attractive to lump in w/ the many other over-used " Blaah " plant options locally..  Stuck smack dab in the hot summer "down" season, when many things have either finished flowering for the year, or are taking a break, Red Bird of Paradise, or ..more correctly, Caesalpinia pulcherrima  fills an important gap providing color that can be seen several blocks away. Unlike some of the ..more seasonal, or cyclical bloomers, Red Birds will often continue flowering up until November or December here.

As has been discussed here a few times, there appears to be at least two distinct forms of the species.. One, that is typically seen in Florida, produces foliage that is often greener than the bluish- leaved form grown extensively here in AZ and across the Southwest / Southern California.. The form grown here appears to be the form that handles cold better than the form seen in FL.

While frost/ freeze induced die back isn't typically much of an issue most years here, especially inside the developed sections of the valley, most specimens seen in commercial landscapes are hacked back quite a bit toward the end of winter each year, and have to completely regenerate growth each spring. Those left to do their own thing, or only lightly trimmed each year/ every other year can achieve a height of 10-12ft, w/ out including the flowers in overall height..  As far as those that get the butcher treatment, to me, it seems those cut/ carefully trimmed back to about 3 or 4 ft, say every other year, produce the nicest- formed specimens. Some, that get whacked almost to the ground, rebound nicely, but don't look near as nice/ produce as good of a show ( of flowers ) At least not until the 2nd year, if not cut drastically again..

Anyway.. Some Sunday Morning pics of neighborhood specimens.
DSC08773.thumb.JPG.aa4ab66ade3d7698c2ece8e3170a9b1f.JPG

DSC08775.JPG.c849c14358a163391599825884ed5cf5.JPG

DSC08782.JPG.93fc434005b09cc253ec1193f75e6993.JPG

DSC08786.JPG.346dce4294e2a193f71c119673678371.JPG

DSC08787.JPG.adf9b0176ea16129803748873a0f9557.JPG

DSC08788.JPG.7ce7b3a1e2f899bfe790dbbc24442310.JPG

Smallish specimens, likely cut back hard last winter, compared to some of the others above.. Weepy trees above specimens in Pic. #2 is Shoestring Acacia, Nice tree, but has shown potential invasive tendencies near bodies of water locally.
DSC08793.JPG.b757bad9d0409a59149666f886234f3c.JPG

DSC08794.thumb.JPG.84ca84ea8e5b15d850bfdced5a5343eb.JPG

One of a few fairly tall specimens peeking over a block wall in the 'hood.. Wall itself it approx. 6ft in height, specimen would appear nearly double that, imo..  Ignore the ugly Queen to the Right ( pic. #1 ).
DSC08784.JPG.a3c2765570bb6613a50f2b7958e08ba7.JPG

DSC08785.thumb.JPG.a4c68fb3b32a9025c5e1936506cfefda.JPG

Flower close ups.. Who takes pictures of something so nice, but no money shots of the goods ( the flowers ) lol..
DSC08779.thumb.JPG.92bfec3e202aba16b89388e8fb1bed1a.JPG

DSC08790.thumb.JPG.08b17e7455ba2a1ba10a1df79fcb3d7b.JPG

DSC08792.JPG.63bb2afa7f21fefb1cb841fef9563ad9.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

It doesn't get hot enough where I am at.  I have one, but it is just not happy.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I remember those were common in Las Vegas when I lived there. Seems like they loved the low humid heat and grow fast. Most plants commonly planted there aren't as attractive in my opinion. One popular is Texas Sage and they do great but really don't look like anything special to me. Honestly after living in that desert for such a long time made me want to escape the desert look but there's definitely some plants that are amazing looking like Caesalpinia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

It doesn't get hot enough where I am at.  I have one, but it is just not happy.

Possible for sure.. Though if you ( or neighbors ) can grow Plumeria, i'd think these would do well also. For what it is worth, saw an observation from Dave's garden ( 2018 ) from someone in Garden Grove who came across plants near a Bank located in Cypress..Didn't give an exact location though.. Passed through a few times, but don't know the area, so can't say how "different" that part of OC might be compared to where you're at in Huntington Beach..

One thing i have noticed, seedlings/ young plants, say less than 2 years old or planted can be quite sensitive to cold wet winters, and are a bit slow to get going, even here.. They hate regular water ( none in winter ), rich, heavy / poorly draining soil.. should be essentially grit/ rocky, and well drained, No mulch anywhere near the base of the plant.  Sold them where i'd used to work, and i know i have seen a few around town, ...but have killed my fare share of these up in San Jose in the past, lol..

• Like 1

It’s funny what does great in full Phoenix sun and what will get burned alive. Xeric plants from less intense desert climates can’t handle the heat but certain tropical plants thrive.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I remember those were common in Las Vegas when I lived there. Seems like they loved the low humid heat and grow fast. Most plants commonly planted there aren't as attractive in my opinion. One popular is Texas Sage and they do great but really don't look like anything special to me. Honestly after living in that desert for such a long time made me want to escape the desert look but there's definitely some plants that are amazing looking like Caesalpinia.

Agree w/ you about Texas Sage.. Most varieties are pretty "average".. though nice when flowering.  Only find a few nice enough to grow ..anywhere, lol ( " Lynns Legacy" =No taller than about 3-5ft, Flowers heavily at least 3 times a year.. "Cimarron" =Silver foliage/ Dark Blue violet flowers. Also stays relatively short, ..a highly fragrant species, and L. revoltum.. High elevation sp. that is quite rare and hard to find.. Flowers are a hard to describe light blue and produced heavily..  Others, like Green or Silver Cloud are too big and just don't "pop" like the others when they flower, imo.

Trim those i planted here, but keep them natural looking, no sheering them into geometrical shapes like you see around town too often ( Have seen this done to Dasylirions too! ).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

It’s funny what does great in full Phoenix sun and what will get burned alive. Xeric plants from less intense desert climates can’t handle the heat but certain tropical plants thrive.

( Raises hand ) Yep, ain't no sun and heat, like Phoenix sun and heat lol.. That said, provide some shade, for things that need it, and you can get away with quite a bit, as long as it can tolerate the heat..

Great images Nathan! I grow the more cold-hardy cultivar of Caesalpinia pulcherrima here in NorCal among my palms. It adds bright color and lures hummingbirds. Does well for me and is putting on more woody tissue which helps when it revives each spring... that is until some bugs in the night lop off the blooming spikes! :rage: That delays the flowering by several weeks.

• Like 1

Always wanted to try 'Lyn's Legacy' but zero luck finding it here.

San Fernando Valley, California

On 6/15/2020 at 12:09 PM, Hillizard said:

Great images Nathan! I grow the more cold-hardy cultivar of Caesalpinia pulcherrima here in NorCal among my palms. It adds bright color and lures hummingbirds. Does well for me and is putting on more woody tissue which helps when it revives each spring... that is until some bugs in the night lop off the blooming spikes! :rage: That delays the flowering by several weeks.

Wonder what is eating the flowers/ flower spikes.. Katydids, some other Grasshopper.. a beetle of some sort perhaps?  I'd be out there w/ a flashlight and tweezers, lol

On 6/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, Peter said:

Always wanted to try 'Lyn's Legacy' but zero luck finding it here.

If you don't see any offered around town over the summer, let me know.. May try to root some suckers off the two i have here once we get Monsoon season kicks in. Might also try and track down a couple plants also, just in case the rooting attempts don't work. Not sure why this particular cultivar has become a bit of a challenge to find lately.  I know some places have tried to pass off Rio Bravo as L.L. but they're two distinctly different plants.

Fyi, the same Wholesale nursery out by Palm Springs, which offers Guaiacum coulteri specimens, has Lynn's Legacy listed in their availability atm. Listed in 3-5gal, maybe some 15 gals also ..which seems a bit big, imo.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here in Florida we have 3 common versions of Caesalpinia pulcherimma, the yellow, the orange (like your photos) and the pink.  It is interesting that you said you would get a rooted sucker as these things are effort-less in germinating seedlings.  The yellow seems to be dominant and seedlings from an orange one sometimes comes up yellow.  The pink, Compton's Pink, has striking color flowers but the plant itself is usually not as strong as the yellow or orange and often succumbs to a nasty gall that is spread by pruners.

• Like 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The reference to rooting suckers is from a Texas Sage / Ranger ( Leucophyllum ) Cultivar.   Agree, Caesalpinia p. is pretty simple from seed.. especially this time of year.

Interesting info regarding the Pink- flowered form. Wonder if it's overall  "weakness" is a big reason it isn't seen anywhere here in the west ( as far as i know ). Yellow flowered ( Flava ) variety is almost as rare out here, though you can find specimens if you look. Have heard it's also not quite as vigorous as the standard form, but better than the pink. 

Have wondered why crosses between C. pulcherrima, and some of the other Caesalpinia hasn't been attempted, or much information exists to research regarding any such attempts. There's a fairly popular cross called "Sierra Sun" sold in nurseries here. Supposedly is a cross between C. mexicana, and Caesaplinia palmeri. An example that shows species can be crossed. Then again, both those species, ( and numerous others, -except C. pulcherrima- ) were recently re-assigned into one of the new Genus ( Erythrostemon ) when Casealpinia was broken up. Maybe it is a case of incompatibility between the two Genus / sections of the Genus ( for those who keep them all together as Caesalpinia ).. Kind of odd, imo, since C. gilliesii, which most closely resembles C. pulcherrima ( compared to other species ), was also re- assigned to Erythrostemon, but not pulcherrima..  Gotta love the Rabbit Holes Taxonomists create sometimes, lol..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Wonder what is eating the flowers/ flower spikes.. Katydids, some other Grasshopper.. a beetle of some sort perhaps?  I'd be out there w/ a flashlight and tweezers, lol

Nathan: You are probably correct about katydids being the culprit. I've spotted them at dusk on some of my plants. Whatever insect is doing this, the damage is most prevalent in the spring. By summer they usually move onto other plant delicacies in the neighborhood! :bummed: I do have a headlamp that I should use to see what's happening in the dark in my 'forest.'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I do have a headlamp that I should use to see what's happening in the dark in my 'forest.'

I'd rather find katydids then the Black Widows i track down after dark this time of year:unsure: Just glad this neighborhood is one of the few locally w/ out Bark Scorpions... Monster flying Cockroaches we have are enough of a startle when looking things over at night, esp. when you can hear them running across the ground, or over one's foot :bemused:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I'd rather find katydids then the Black Widows i track down after dark this time of year:unsure: Just glad this neighborhood is one of the few locally w/ out Bark Scorpions... Monster flying Cockroaches we have are enough of a startle when looking things over at night, esp. when you can hear them running across the ground, or over one's foot :bemused:

I have evidence of Black Widow spiders in my garage, as well as my front and backyard. Their web 'silk' has a stronger tensile strength than other spiders where I live, so that's how I can tell they're present. I too have a few native, but small, outdoor-living roaches but thankfully no scorpions of any kind in my locale, or if they are here, I've not encountered them yet! Maybe the alligator lizards and ring-necked snakes in my yard keep the populations low? :hmm:

11 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I have evidence of Black Widow spiders in my garage, as well as my front and backyard. Their web 'silk' has a stronger tensile strength than other spiders where I live, so that's how I can tell they're present. I too have a few native, small, outdoor-living roaches but thankfully no scorpions of any kind in my locale, or if they are here, I've not encountered them yet! Maybe the alligator lizards and ring-necked snakes in my yard keep the populations low? :hmm:

Be GLAD you don't have Bark Scorpions.. While getting stung won't kill most people, not a pleasant experience at all. Potentially much more dangerous for pets though. They're also one of the only types that can climb walls/ Ceilings, and can fit through a gap in a door/ wall no wider than a Credit Card. Our other native Scorps stay outside. Some neighborhoods, esp. newer ones ..or neighborhoods near areas w/ a lot of construction, bordering open desert, are frequently infested.. As in " Go outside w/ the black light and find several dozen/ hundreds" in the course of a few hours of searching. Don't migrate from area to area much which is one reason they aren't as widespread as they could be.

Lizards/ snakes would certainly help keep Black /Brown Widows in check.. would here if the house were located closer to open desert. Don't think we have Brown Widows locally yet, but i'm sure they'll show up soon enough. I normally eliminate Black Widows as soon as i see their webs, and as small as possible, before they turn into monsters, lol..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Regarding the growing form seed of the desert Caesalpinia p., they are really temperamental, nothing to do with the tropical variety. I was really lucky that I got two seedlings growing to full maturity from the few seeds I traded with a person from Texas. I now have two mother plants that give me a good quantity of seeds each year,  but just one more seedling that made it to maturity in all these years. Last year I obtained maybe one hundred seedlings growing quite vigorously, now it seems only three of these will make it through this summer. 

Not the hottest place, it gets very little sun in winter, I would have never thought it would grow that good there. In Santa Marinella, 50 km north of Rome.

IMG_2523.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/15/2020 at 2:09 PM, Hillizard said:

I grow the more cold-hardy cultivar of Caesalpinia pulcherrima here in NorCal among my palms.

I've been wondering if there was a more cold hardy cultivar as I have 2 plants that look almost identical but react differently to freezes.  Does yours have small teeth-like thorns on the stems?  The one I have that seems more cold hardy has them.  It kept its leaves this past winter on the north side of my house while the one I have on the south side completely defoliated with one night at 27°.  When I did an online search the only reference to the Caesalpinia with thorns was referred to as 'Dwarf Pride of Barbados' but the WxH dimensions didn't seem much different.

IMG_20200727_120255.jpg

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

I've been wondering if there was a more cold hardy cultivar as I have 2 plants that look almost identical but react differently to freezes.  Does yours have small teeth-like thorns on the stems?  The one I have that seems more cold hardy has them.  It kept its leaves this past winter on the north side of my house while the one I have on the south side completely defoliated with one night at 27°.  When I did an online search the only reference to the Caesalpinia with thorns was referred to as 'Dwarf Pride of Barbados' but the WxH dimensions didn't seem much different.

Fusca: I just took these pictures a few minutes ago of my Caesalpinia for comparison with yours. This past winter in my area was relatively mild but there were a few nights in the mid-20s F. Previously this plant has died back to ground-level.  But now that the stems are more woody, it resprouted from those in the late spring. The spines along the stems are soft and pliable. Hope this helps.

Caesalpinia1.png

Caesalpinia2.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

I just took these pictures a few minutes ago of my Caesalpinia for comparison with yours.

Yep, that looks just like my cold-hardy one.  The one I have in the backyard has smooth stems.  Both of mine defoliated its first winter in the ground but my thorny one didn't defoliate this past winter.  Either one will perform well here but the thorny one would do better in a colder zone I would imagine.  At least around here the nurseries don't make known that one is more cold hardy.  You'd think that would be a good selling point in a marginal area - maybe the nurseries in the marginal areas just sell the cold hardy variant.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

28 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Yep, that looks just like my cold-hardy one.  The one I have in the backyard has smooth stems.  Both of mine defoliated its first winter in the ground but my thorny one didn't defoliate this past winter.  Either one will perform well here but the thorny one would do better in a colder zone I would imagine.  At least around here the nurseries don't make known that one is more cold hardy.  You'd think that would be a good selling point in a marginal area - maybe the nurseries in the marginal areas just sell the cold hardy variant.

Glad that helped confirm the identity of yours.  It's been a very dependable one for me now for several years. Unfortunately I've never been able to overwinter, even in my sunroom, small potted plants of either the yellow or pink cultivars. They are a challenge! :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

....Unfortunately I've never been able to overwinter, even in my sunroom, small potted plants of either the yellow or pink cultivars. They are a challenge! :unsure:

Sure seems like it, lol.  Down to 1 yellow seedling atm and all 4 came out of winter just fine.. 

• Like 1

Here is mine.. lots of seeds but haven't seen any of them sprout just yet. Really a great plant that does great with little water.

Also adding a pic of a scorpion near miss on my driveway from 2 summers ago..  they are aggressive. This one chased me..like no joke... enough for the final outcome. I dont want to try the blacklight trick at night..nope..im always wearing flip flops when these things are around...The black widows I have at bay and yes..I use bug killer..  Yup. Lol.

Additionally I travel in the area for work so I get to see some neat things during these adventures..

20200728_195305.jpg

• Like 3

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

21 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

I hear they can still bite.. so.. nope!

20191015_124120.jpg

Trarantulas only bite is pressed against. Have let them crawl across my hands / on my arm w/ out issue.  Even if i'd have been bit, no worse than a bee sting, at least our native species/ most of those native to Mexico. Wish i had some roaming around the yard here.  A Spider i leave alone.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

20200728_194939.jpg

This looks like a what some call a Sun or Camel Spider/ Wind Scorpion.. or, more correctly, one of the Solifuges.  Look a lot meaner that they are. They eat Crickets/ them big flying Cockroaches we have.

A note on Black Widows.. Don't be surprised if you start seeing Brown Widows. Have seen reports of specimens from your area over the last few months. Already common around Tucson, with scattered reports of them here in/around Phoenix.. They're supposedly displacing Black Widows as they take over territory across the Southwest and CA..  More prolific and tend to set up their homes in more exposed places. Can also bite but the bite is far less of a concern than of a Black Widow.. Venom is much less potent/ Spiders don't deliver as much per bite.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SailorBold said:

lots of seeds but haven't seen any of them sprout just yet

If you scratch or nick the seed then overnight soak it will hasten the germination quite a bit.  The seed swells up from the water penetrating.  I just had one germinate in two days doing this.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

29 minutes ago, Fusca said:

If you scratch or nick the seed then overnight soak it will hasten the germination quite a bit.  The seed swells up from the water penetrating.  I just had one germinate in two days doing this.

Yep, this is one good thing about most legume- family seed.. those that produce seed w/ a hard seed coat anyway.. Unlike many other things, you can store them for a few years w/ out loosing much, if any viability. Nick/scratch up the seed coat when planting, and they'll usually germinate easily/quickly.  That said, even these go bad eventually.. Tried to germinate some i'd collected 20+ years ago, all rotted before germinating.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yep, this is one good thing about most legume- family seed.. those that produce seed w/ a hard seed coat anyway.. Unlike many other things, you can store them for a few years w/ out loosing much, if any viability. Nick/scratch up the seed coat when planting, and they'll usually germinate easily/quickly.  That said, even these go bad eventually.. Tried to germinate some i'd collected 20+ years ago, all rotted before germinating.

Yes and I think soaking too long can also lead to problems.  Some seeds like Sophora secundiflora actually get mushy if soaked too long after nicking and won't germinate even if they were fresh.  Probably best to do what you suggest and just nick them, water well after planting and avoid the soak.  I recently germinated some Delonix regia seeds that a friend of mine in Brasil mailed to me probably 8-10 years ago!  I didn't think they would germinate but was pleasantly surprised with 100% germination!  :o

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

• 1 year later...

As mentioned elsewhere, our wet summer / much tamer heat ( compared to last year ) has been a boon for ..pretty much everything,   ..including all the Red Bird of Paradise planted around town.  Last year's exceptional heat, and complete absence of rain burnt off a good %'age of later season flowers on these, though most still had some flowers up through late November. 

Much different story this year w/ almost every specimen encountered across town full of color ..and ripening / developing seedpods   ..and looking pretty lush.  Many of the specimens left un- butchered / only lightly trimmed last winter have become 9-12ft tall monsters as well.

DSC06940.JPG.62a4b03a46a34ffd22910a63f1c90fb9.JPG

DSC06943.JPG.865684d95349d5a1a8bfa65311d51bbc.JPG

DSC06946.thumb.JPG.159c1056ceb7ed1c86f50e7ece5e35d6.JPG

DSC06947.thumb.JPG.1f14abdf0e83f01f1f618fe25b7bc803.JPG

DSC06965.JPG.f416d4d58cad9922abeb0d5d6866e20a.JPG

DSC06972.thumb.JPG.85a9f20bb4e3e5dbc5cd27be3c79fc37.JPG

While most specimens i see on a daily basis lack the weak, bristly spines seen on the branches / smaller trunks of plants in other areas, found a couple " bristly " specimens yesterday while collecting off some plants in the neighborhood. A couple also were presenting coppery red new foliage as well.
DSC06939.thumb.JPG.b586d554f0d446afbc97b5d3c021faa4.JPG

DSC06944.thumb.JPG.d84dbd872cac8ed46206090381c1c353.JPG

DSC06966.thumb.JPG.a16ae652e0af775e1ffdc9ca4e1b4ea2.JPG

DSC06973.JPG.ca03e9019a25eacff60e418890522bbe.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I recently planted two versions.

The first version is more of a shrub form, multi-stems and low hanging.  It has orange/red color flowers.

IMG_20221204_160829.thumb.jpg.ca3787449bec529d9ca916a3e876bb71.jpg

IMG_20221204_160434.thumb.jpg.7c8db75dd617c3abdc7c66ad3d333250.jpg

seed pods.

IMG_20221204_160533.thumb.jpg.96fdac946340a4dbcf64769ffdfc3705.jpg

While the taller single stem that's 6-7 feet tall ones have pink flowers, and seems to be more spikes on the stem.  The only place to get a hold of the plant is the section from the ground to about 6-8 inches above ground seems to be clear of spikes.

IMG_20221204_160612.thumb.jpg.791efa1d9b3b7420b8e9eb2ad38217db.jpg

IMG_20221204_160632.thumb.jpg.52092f88a5946d3849534a506ff52755.jpg

IMG_20221204_160810.thumb.jpg.e92ec1f942120fde8ee1209b324ac158.jpg

I will be curious to see how they perform in high humidity Florida.

• Like 1