IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tribears

Palmaceae

Anyone with a tribear, just wanted to see what is out there. 

Here is mine, it is really growing fast and looking good!

20200613_163608.jpg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 5

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Never having been anywhere near Fla, what is a tribear?

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

4 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Never having been anywhere near Fla, what is a tribear?

It is a cross of Dypsis leptocheilos and Dypsis decaryi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here are two of mine in the old garden.

red-triangle.jpg.354280250af4218b7f5a0917b66892c4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Nice. My tribear passed away a couple years ago. Haven't found one since.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Definitely one of the Dypdid hybrids that I'm not sure why they haven't become more available. I would love to try one too =) 

T J 

Some pictures from one year ago. Has grown like rocket since.  At first thought wasnʻt hybrid, but still green leaves, years

later and is trunking now. 

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Just a young one on its way, but I'm glad to have it. Thanks to Cardiff Bill.

IMG_1082.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

You'll have to move those rocks very soon -- this thing gets pretty fat! :D

I also planted one of mine close to a boulder and am waiting to see if it will curve away from it.

I have three of these. Definitely one of my favorites but the bad news is they get damaged by frost. Two of mine are fully exposed and got damaged from 27 degrees but quickly recover. I'll post some pics once the lighting is better. My smallest one looks perfect under canopy but hard to get a picture of it.

Got this one from Seabreeze back when they were making hybrids and and we're still capable of shipping plants I wish I had ordered a couple more

15922642609903025732247836794111.jpg

15922643240243372187850779605343.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Just looking back on the growth rate on my tribear.  First picture was when I first planted it in May 2018 at my house in Cape Coral, but was transplanted to our yard in St. Pete June 2019. I acquired the palm from Seabreeze.

20180528_151845.jpg

20200613_163608.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

I’m always curious as to why this palm gets so much love yet the decarii parent seems to rank very low on many people’s list. I will admit that I too like this one over a triangle but I feel that it looks like a lepto so why not just grow one of those? If it’s about the looks, to me this looks like a teddy bear until you get close. I don’t have one so perhaps there’s more to it. Any thoughts?

Mine also came from Seabreeze. What happened to them? Tried to find and order some more this year. Hope Justen is doing well- good guy. just planted this one out last month. 
image.thumb.jpeg.901ca40d59a4505e2963402b089c38bf.jpeg

• Like 4

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I’m always curious as to why this palm gets so much love yet the decarii parent seems to rank very low on many people’s list. I will admit that I too like this one over a triangle but I feel that it looks like a lepto so why not just grow one of those? If it’s about the looks, to me this looks like a teddy bear until you get close. I don’t have one so perhaps there’s more to it. Any thoughts?

I agree, but I think speed of growth has a lot to do with it.

Jon Sunder

In my inland climate- I planted my Leptocheilos right up against the house to give it shade and cold protection. The Tri Bear is planted out in a more exposed area- I’m hoping hardiness and sun tolerance will be improved for it, and still retain the lepto look.... 

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

One thing is it does handle hot sun in areas like mine a little better. I haven't tried a lepto since a few up a died on me. They definitely are more hardy.

One of mine. Acquired from Seabreeze Nursery some years ago.

IMG_3183.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I like both the tribear and decaryii for the triangle shape. However, the red fuzz on the tribear (and the straight teddy bear) makes it one of my favorite palms. 

Also, I like to grow uncommon Palms and in this neck of the woods the decaryi is becoming fairly common. So if I have room for only one triangle palm, then I choose the tribear. Honestly, if I had lots more room I would have a decaryi as well since they are very pretty. Just my 2 cents.

And because it's all about pictures, here's the tribear and the teddy bear. Hard to get good photos this Time of day.

1.Tribear showing the fuzz and triangle

2. Tribear full shot same plant

3. Teddy bear, seeding

I would love to hear other opinions on why they choose each of the palms.

20200616_174520.jpg

20200616_174501.jpg

20200616_174746.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Great photos everyone!  While I don't have one of these here in Hilo, I did have a couple of them in my Fallbrook California garden.  Here are those photos:

October 2010: 

IMG_0562.thumb.JPG.9279b7da78b1ac95ffc843ab3c87f582.JPG

And here's my final photos of it from before I sold the house.  

June 2019:

IMG_1118.thumb.JPG.5d21c91a83ca7d8c6e0bec000e8e9111.JPG

IMG_1129.thumb.JPG.37fe4b19d9eeb91b3bca4051f98a7fc5.JPG

IMG_1117.thumb.JPG.b5114233adae6032aac09ccbd96430b1.JPG

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

On 6/16/2020 at 4:39 AM, Johnny Palmseed said:

I can only speak for myself: I love teddy bears (I think I have over 15 planted around the property, with a few in pots getting ready to go in), and I like the triangles (2 relatively mature ones left from the previous owner). The Tribear has that lovely teddy look to it but it is much more robust, and in some places the fat trunk just makes a great statement. I put 2 in, and I wish I could find more.

I have 4, here are three of them. They have really become very large, one curving away from the huge oak next to it.

IMG_6453 (2).jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

• Like 11

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Those are some big ones.! I love the curved trunk on the one.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

Great photos, everyone!!

Just one question - are their seeds viable?

Lars

3 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Great photos, everyone!!

Just one question - are their seeds viable?

Lars

no

Jupiter FL

5 hours ago, Tracy S said:

Those are some big ones.! I love the curved trunk on the one.

Really never expected it to get so tall.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

gorgeous. I lover them at that size where you can see and touch the fuzz.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

• 1 month later...

Are Tribears self-cleaning? 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Good topic and pics posted.  Here are a few local ones that I sold years ago.  They have been growing pretty good.

IMG_20200724_132607.thumb.jpg.2e775fd28feb96dc76d8ba5a2db89a8d.jpg

IMG_20200724_132603.thumb.jpg.f817556d26251fddd32db42569517c06.jpg

IMG_20200724_115039.thumb.jpg.92568ad943f46e786c16960a1fab203a.jpg

• Like 3

Here’s my tribear I got from Seabreeze via a fellow Palm Talker who was nice enough to give it to me!

0DDE72B7-81E0-4BAB-AF95-99CB0B4E05D4.thumb.jpeg.770a20a7b681f104caf8efa9bc095547.jpeg

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

Good topic and pics posted.  Here are a few local ones that I sold years ago.  They have been growing pretty good.

IMG_20200724_132607.thumb.jpg.2e775fd28feb96dc76d8ba5a2db89a8d.jpg

IMG_20200724_132603.thumb.jpg.f817556d26251fddd32db42569517c06.jpg

IMG_20200724_115039.thumb.jpg.92568ad943f46e786c16960a1fab203a.jpg

Hello Mike, are these in St Pete?

13 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Hello Mike, are these in St Pete?

Yes, the double is my neighbors across the street and other one is a few blocks away.  They were sold as 7 gal specimens back when Tribears were not too well known.  Believe it or not, they did not sell real well back then.

Seems like the tribears have a thicker crown with more recorved leaves than the teddy, and less red fuzz with a thicker trunk.  Nice palms!

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tri-bears are a beautiful cross. Loved these pics.  Can they still produce viable seed? Or are they mostly sterile? I imagine there could be variation in this, given their genetic variability in their appearance.

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Seems like the tribears have a thicker crown with more recorved leaves than the teddy, and less red fuzz with a thicker trunk.  Nice palms!

I found the best way to identify the hybrid when they are young is to look for the "V" shape leaf that is characteristic in the Triangle.  Regular leptocheilos have a flat leaf. 

Here is a pic of mine in the garden.  Unfortunately, by the time I found out how beautiful they were, I only had some scrawny ones left in the nursery.   

IMG_20200725_115728.thumb.jpg.7c4273d22a4bd67275913c0816aaf708.jpg

IMG_20200725_115737.thumb.jpg.609dea4941aefd78f32bf276b07e648a.jpg

• Like 4