IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ficus pseudopalma vs, Meryta balansae in PR

Cindy Adair

I see this single trunk Ficus whenever I exit my house. New leaf color is beginning to fade now.

DSCN1575.thumb.jpg.773ba4a74a2a1e914958121faff9cfe0.jpg

DSCN1574.thumb.jpg.6ad3429ca7336c5439fc056c4f93d129.jpg

Since PR apparently has the right wasp to pollinate my pretty little Christmas Fig (Ficus gasparriniana v. laceratifolia) I am hoping I will have volunteers of other nice Ficus like this one and F. dammaropsis?

My Meryta balansae is at the back of my house so not admired quite as often. I am delighted with them both. 

I will add photo(s) of the Meryta tomorrow and you can decide which tree is the best.

Please post yours!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Meryta balansae is dead center in this photo from above a part of my jungle. 

DSCN1591.thumb.jpg.31174c52476aa01c6852278743ed276a.jpg

Looks like some critter has been dining on some of the leaves.

DSCN1593.thumb.jpg.c864e00bde53ee492a1fa8e7df6a850f.jpg

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

• 3 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I see this single trunk Ficus whenever I exit my house. New leaf color is beginning to fade now.

DSCN1575.thumb.jpg.773ba4a74a2a1e914958121faff9cfe0.jpg

DSCN1574.thumb.jpg.6ad3429ca7336c5439fc056c4f93d129.jpg

Since PR apparently has the right wasp to pollinate my pretty little Christmas Fig (Ficus gasparriniana v. laceratifolia) I am hoping I will have volunteers of other nice Ficus like this one and F. dammaropsis?

My Meryta balansae is at the back of my house so not admired quite as often. I am delighted with them both. 

I will add photo(s) of the Meryta tomorrow and you can decide which tree is the best.

Please post yours!

Do you have Ficus pseudopalma or Meryta balansae for sale?  Do you ship to California?

Sorry, neither has made seeds and I am not a nursery owner. The Ficus was a gift and I do not know the seller and the Meryta was purchased in FL.

Cindy Adair

4 hours ago, Leekat said:

Do you have Ficus pseudopalma or Meryta balansae for sale?  Do you ship to California?

I bought my Ficus pseudopalma from Richard Lyon. Mine is fruting but my understanding is they need a special wasp to do so in South Florida...so I am unsure if I have dead seeds or if they are viable. Do you know how they are supposed to look if viable? I have plenty to give away if they have in fact been pollinated...just not sure how to tell.

I am no help here. My Ficus trees have only been in the ground 3 years (at most) here in PR. I also see fruit on my F. pseudopalma and also on my F. dammaropsis but nothing that looks like seeds yet. 
I do have volunteer seedlings from my little Christmas ficus (never saw the seeds) so hoping the non aggressive wasps around here will get to work and pollinate everything.

Cindy Adair