CodyORB

Anyone growing Sabal minor, T. fortunei, etc in southern Ontario?

CodyORB

Based on this map some coastal Great Lakes areas fall under 7a, 0-5F.  Has anyone given these species a try through the winter up there?

• Like 1

kinzyjr

If anyone has, probably @Rasta Rob.  Given the length of the winter, they'd probably have to be up against the south facing side of the house at a minimum and would likely need some form of protection as well.

• Like 1

Chester B

I'm from Southern Ontario and did live in 7A zones in the north end of St.Catharines as well as the Beaches in Toronto.  Unfortunately palms are a no go without protection under any circumstances.  The old mild winter they may be able to make it through with minimal damage.  There are a number of people growing cold hardy palms and tropicals and some of those people post on Youtube and they outline their protection methods.

A Zone 7A in Ontario isn't the same as a zone 7A in a place like Tennessee.  Although it doesn't get too cold overall, freezes can last weeks and this doesn't work for even Needles.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 4

Rickybobby

All palms around the Great Lake lakes need winter protection. Ie a box with lights and thermocube type setup. I bring all my palms in for winter and give them a climate controlled room with led lighting 

• Like 1

grapeview

I tried my first ever over wintering of one 2’ trunk T.F. and one 5 gallon Chamaerops using the box, thermal cube, Christmas lights and a small fan in each box with great success here in the Niagara region of Ontario. I planted another Chamaerops and 7 more T.F.  With Waggies this spring! I am out of control... I have the bug!

• Like 3

JLM

@grapeview

The bug is slowly progressing for me, but give it time LOL

Welcome to Palmtalk!

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

grapeview

Thanks!

• Like 2