IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard Monsters Reposted

realarch

Well, in an attempt to delete a double post, I deleted the entire thread. Uff da!

I'll dispense with the commentary. 

Thanks for all the comments, they were appreciated. 

Tim

The first is Dypsis robusta.

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Dypsis 'blue decipiens' or D. 'betafala'. 

IMG_5403.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This is that Dypsis sp. metallic. Nice white coloring on those swollen leaf sheaths. 

IMG_5386.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Just had to post this photo of an Attalea phalerata. This trunk is just massive. 

Tim

IMG_5411.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

39 minutes ago, realarch said:

The first is Dypsis robusta.

That robusta is indeed robust!  :greenthumb:

Jon Sunder

28 minutes ago, realarch said:

Just had to post this photo of an Attalea phalerata. This trunk is just massive

Need to see all of that bad boy !! 

T J 

OK, this really settles the issue, I should just scrape off my garden and astroturf the whole property !  :mrlooney:

Seriously though,  killer palms,  thanks for posting  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

Regardless my growth rate in California is going to be sad compared to yours but could you rank your Dypsis by speed of growth?

Wowsa. Thanks for the photos.  

I started experimenting pressure washing palm trunks.  3 months of staying home and getting creative of things to pressure wash. I did the entire driveway, house, pool deck, old wood decks then looking for more I noticed some black fungi growing up a large Bismarckia.  I hit it with just 2000 psi (any more psi and may chip trunk) and it all came off and it looks better now.  Actually looks as good as when you hit an old moldy wood deck w/pressure washer.   Wondering if you guys ever tried that on your palms. I always see a lot of green mossy growth on your palms.  I know it is just cosmetic, but that is why we grow palms, as ornamentals.  Just throwing this out there.  

Great photos with amazing palms!  

• Like 1

Mahalo again everyone. 

TJ here is a photo of the Attalea phalerata. I keep the fronds trimmed up as they are so long at this point, 20' +, and hang over the roof. 

Darold, no need for such drastic actions, but in case you do.........please send that Geonoma undata to Hilo. 

David, I guess it all comes down to personal preference and practicality. I would be power washing literally all the time if I were so inclined. With 140"- 180" , ( 3556mm-4570mm), of rain fall

annually, stuff just grows and grows. That's what rain forests do.  

IMG_5419.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

@realarch Thanks for pic , the scale bucket is almost blended in. That bad boy is monstrous , any other Attaleas on the property? 

T J 

On 6/10/2020 at 5:34 PM, realarch said:

This is that Dypsis sp. metallic. Nice white coloring on those swollen leaf sheaths. 

IMG_5386.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

How hard are these to find?  I'd love to plant one.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Justin, you might check with Bill or Jeff. Not sure of availability at this point. 

It’s turning out to be an attractive palm.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim,

no worries about the deleted thread, just post them again and

again - I am pretty sure that no one gets angry about this eye candy! ;)

best regards -

Lars

Great photos Tim!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Good luck finding a metallic I want one to and they are nowhere.  If you do find one please let me know

Wonderful! Love these big Dypsis. I would post photos of mine, but I can't find a pot small enough for comparison. :-)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:57 AM, John hovancsek said:

One of my future monsters.. thanks Jason 

20200610_074959.jpg

20200610_075014.jpg

That’s looking great John!  Happy to see it thriving at your place. I had another friend here in Hilo dig one up about the same size and it also didn’t skip a beat. 

On 6/15/2020 at 8:57 AM, John hovancsek said:

One of my future monsters.. thanks Jason 

20200610_074959.jpg

20200610_075014.jpg

That looks like a perfect example of the tell-tale juvenile characteristics of the Dypsis robusta - for many years the mythical Dypsis "White Stem" - IMO

A great palm.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

41 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

That looks like a perfect example of the tell-tale juvenile characteristics of the Dypsis robusta - for many years the mythical Dypsis "White Stem" - IMO

A great palm.

Based on how good that looks in apparently full sun, I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't get sunburn as much as it probably doesn't like the absence of humidity on my D robusta.  It is definitely more sensitive to my winter cold than D prestoniana as well.  That's a beautiful and happy palm John!  D robusta is truly a happy non-native in Hawaii.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

A great palm.

Yep, you nailed it Dean.  

This is one of 3 that I bought as small plants from a couple of different sellers with either no tag or Dypsis Sp? on the tag.  All 3 ended up being Dypsis Robusta.  I already had a Dypsis Robusta going in the garden so I figured I didn't need 4 in my small garden!  I gave away 2 and kept one since I liked where it's planted.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, realarch said:

I would be power washing literally all the time if I were so inclined. With 140"- 180" , ( 3556mm-4570mm), of rain fall

Not meaning to highjack the thread, but with that much rain, how do you deal with the weeds? Here in South Florida, weeds can easily take over a garden within a couple of months.

• 7 months later...

Not sure how I missed this earlier.. (I suspect from racing cars again) but WOW Tim! Killer!! @realarch

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!