IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Urban Palms

8B palms

So I stumbled upon this site this morning and am curious if anyone has had any dealings purchasing palms from them, they appear to have quite a extensive selection but are closed this week for processing orders.  It would seem none of the pot sizes are huge and the prices are not available so I don't know if the rates are reasonable, just curious what experiences others have had.

https://urbanpalms.com

@8B palms  They have been backlogged since the COVID ordeal came about. I have bought from Plantvine and UrbanTropicals.   Look at the palm section on UrbanTropicals.  The prices/sizes are listed.  IDK if they are a great buy but maybe near average cost.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Urbantropicals.com is basically the same company but has a different distribution center.  Both are currently closed for the winter and open back up in the spring.

I ordered from urbantropicals and got 2x Silver Queens & a canary island palm. 

The pot sizes are a little misleading since they are very deep rather than wide, and can apparently keep a 2-3 year old palm thriving from what I've read on their site.

All three palms look like they're 2 years old and very healthy and they go way above and beyond in packaging the palms. It's a little pricey though after all was purchased and shipped (total cost of $160 w/ shipping) but my silver queens are doing great so far and the CIDP has sprouted 2 new fronds. I've had them for about 3 months.

Here's on of the silver queens ($40) after being potted. (the yellow spots were my fault. When i received them, they were perfectly green)

The 2nd pic is of the new growth since I received them. Not much growth, but it's alive and that's all I care about until the spring.

20201226_124429.thumb.jpg.e9735e83b9485ea33ac5c8e23cbc70bb.jpg

20201226_124501.thumb.jpg.cbd39a74a1a46694eee544768d28612d.jpg

Edited by floridaPalmMan
added media
  • Like 2

This is a weird assortment of apparently separate companies operating under the umbrella "Botanical Growers"

They include Ken's Nursery, Urban Palms, Urban Perennials, Urban Tropicals and likely a few others I forgot about. They are apparently located at the same facility in NFL.

I have had, or attempted anyway, to do business with Ken's Nursery a few years ago. Ken's apparently spends most of the year propagating its plants, then, about every quarter, announces a date and hour when it will sell the plants they have grown. Oh, and Ken doesn't allow retail customers to stop by his nursery because, y'know, he and his elves are too busy propagating.

I was interested in several Philodendrons, esp. 'Pink Princess' and 'Strawberry Shake' and lo!, Ken's indicated would have both for a sale to begin at 8 a.m., April __. So, on April __ I hopped out of bed bright and early and hovered over my computer counting the seconds down to 8 a.m.

At 8 a.m. the screen came alive with plants and prices. Whoa! Those two Philodendrons were $150+ and $270+, repectively for starter plants in 6" pots. I really wanted that Pink Princess so I tried to put one into my shopping cart. Oh no! My request wasn't going through! Timed out. I tried again and again and again. Timed out, timed out, timed out. I frantically tried to get through to Ken's - fruitlessly.

Finally, at 8:20 a.m. I made it though.

"Sorry," Ken wrote under all but one or two of those Philodendrons, "We have sold out of this selection."

I consulted my list of alternative plants to order as backups and the received same message, "Sorry. We have sold out of this selection."

What kind of stupid stunt is this? I asked myself. Sold out of everything in 20 minutes? The site wouldn't let me in before 8 a.m. How did the buyers of 100s of very expensive plants - in excess of $500 for some of them - beat me out of every plant I wanted to purchase in less than 20 minutes? Who ran this site, Bozo the Clown?

Then, the clincher:

"But don't worry," Ken continued, "We are continuing to propagate plants for our loyal customers. Please come back at 8 a.m., July __ when we will offer more tropical plants."

I haven't attempted to contact Ken's Nursery since.

Does my experience with Ken's Nursery reflect upon Urban Palms , Urban Perennials, Urban Tropicals, Urban This, That and the Other? Do they own Ken or does he own them? Are these many identities a corporate shell game? And how can Ken's Nursery survive on quarterly 20 minute internet sales? Three if they are closed all winter?

I really don't know. Someone wiser than I will have to reveal the secrets.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.