IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mail from Ogasawara/Bonin islands...

palmfriend

Hi there,

I found it in the mail box today and I am very very happy...

001.thumb.jpg.20dc4a6b1334cb0cf0906da886a636fe.jpg

You might already know what is in there - yes, correct...

002.thumb.jpg.96887c45f23573b18198eca53ff96d6b.jpg

The "real deal" from habitat - seeds of Clinostigma savoryanum (left) and Livistona boninensis (right). I was looking 

for a source for these palms for a long time and had almost given up hope but finally came across someone via the 

(Japanese) internet. 

Seeds are very fresh, so I cleaned them right away.

003.thumb.JPG.8411ce5f4f937f6b26b46712d45319fa.JPG

50 seeds of C. savoryanum

004.thumb.JPG.a9f987bb54283742ec47bce2691a8801.JPG

Cleaned seeds of L. boninensis. A few of them were probably picked up too early but...

005.thumb.JPG.0e262dbd14635b13650e834bda1c21d5.JPG

... I got already one sprout! "Hello to Okinawa!"

Alright, I just wanted to share my joy - updates will follow -

best regards from Miyako/Okinawa

Lars

• Like 13

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

- just a short update.

While there was already one at the beginning...

lb03.thumb.jpg.3a28b5aa4cc960629eb972ae08d67e9c.jpg..

...there are now four L. boninensis seedlings :greenthumb::D

Even those seeds which I thought were picked too early - they were soft like a gum after cleaning - sprouted after all.

AND(!)  - yesterday while checking all my seeds...

cs02.thumb.jpg.4cfa1fadb019a8815bc7229671d01317.jpg

Is this...??? 

cs03.thumb.jpg.9bccccfaaf0b45dc3fcc9e783472d7a2.jpg

Yes!! It took a while but here it is - the first (and hopefully not last) C. savoryanum seed sprouted, too!! :D:D:D

I will keep you posted!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 4

Congrats on the new seedlings!  Those Livistona seeds are pretty large compared to other species.  It must be hard to tell when they're ripe since the fruits stay green.  I imagine that your climate isn't much different than Bonin Islands so they should do really well for you.  And Clinostigma are one of my favorites!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Lars,

That's excellent - very exciting for you! Both of them should do very well for you, but especially the C. savoryanum will be an excellent palm for you - very elegant! Best wishes to you and the family! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 1:33 AM, Fusca said:

Congrats on the new seedlings!  Those Livistona seeds are pretty large compared to other species.  It must be hard to tell when they're ripe since the fruits stay green.  I imagine that your climate isn't much different than Bonin Islands so they should do really well for you.  And Clinostigma are one of my favorites!

Thank you very much!

Yes, there should be a good chance to get them both established over here. The Clinostigma species is one of my favorites, too. I am already growing (from seed) C. samoense, C. harlandii

and C. ponapense - all of them are in the ground but taking their time. Biggest concern are our sometimes very strong typhoons... However, updates will follow.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:29 AM, bgl said:

Lars,

That's excellent - very exciting for you! Both of them should do very well for you, but especially the C. savoryanum will be an excellent palm for you - very elegant! Best wishes to you and the family! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Bo-Göran,

That is very nice from you, thank you very much! Yes, when you were here I mentioned that C. savoryanum species is one species on top of my sought-after list, so now I am very

very happy that I could get a hand on them. I will pay a lot of attention to them and look forward to get them in the ground.

All the best to Kim & you, too! :D

Lars & family :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

again a short update...

lb04.thumb.jpg.adffdc994caf5e6b40ddcaa94983a7eb.jpg

L. boninensis doing very well so far, ...

cs04.thumb.jpg.1135ee8a83b409754d1a2dea2d824cbe.jpg

my first C. savoryanum looks good, too. :greenthumb:

After that I checked the remaining Clinostigma seeds...

cs05.thumb.jpg.90ddb77f14a4cdced72254405af17cf2.jpg

Ooh la la!!!:D

cs07.thumb.jpg.71a3909a093c367b20dcc32eede726d5.jpg

Welcome, little guys!

cs08.thumb.jpg.6e87f896708c9acaa91e7ba74417f90e.jpg

I counted six new sprouts - that is a breakthrough! I am really really happy! 

I will give some of them away to friends when a bit grown up - may be we can get them established here on Miyako island which would be very nice.

Al right, that for the moment, I will keep you posted!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 4