IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Incredible edible - PALMS

DoomsDave

Thanks to @James B for inspiring this.

So, people ask me what my palms do to serve a useful purpose.

I look 'em in the eye and say, "Preserve my sanity!"

But, suspect the request is for something more concrete.

So, for starters, I've eaten hearts of Washies. Not bad. And, hearts of Archies (bad).

How about the rest of you?

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I had to cut down 3 Washingtonias that sprouted from dropped seeds and grew to over 12 feet tall in what seemed like maybe 18-24 months. I actually considered eating the hearts but had no idea how to do it as they were tough as nails to cut through even with a chain saw and were 20” plus across. Add in all the spiked leaf stems and I decided I didn’t know enough to figure out how to actually extract the heart.

Palmetto heart is delicious 'swamp cabbage', they serve it at some local restaurants.

• Like 3

Deckenia nobilis is part of "millionaire's salad"

Euterpe spp are the source of canned palm hearts

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hmm. I wonder if Dypsis lutescens is edible? I have plenty of those to sacrifice :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I think I saw a thread on here by a guy that showed him cutting up a washie and eating it , he had a whole crew of guys , but I can't seem to find it , it was an old old thread 

• 4 months later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:31 AM, ruskinPalms said:

Hmm. I wonder if Dypsis lutescens is edible? I have plenty of those to sacrifice :rolleyes:

Sacrifice one and see!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Someone told be once that palms detoxify the air, removing heavy metals (are there heavy metals floating in the air?). I choose to take that at face-valur and go around preaching this as gospel.  

Seriously.  Plants improve air quality, I think. I wonder if palms have any particularly specialized ability to do so.  Anybody have information on that?

57 minutes ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Someone told be once that palms detoxify the air, removing heavy metals (are there heavy metals floating in the air?). I choose to take that at face-valur and go around preaching this as gospel.  

Seriously.  Plants improve air quality, I think. I wonder if palms have any particularly specialized ability to do so.  Anybody have information on that?

Anything with leaves can help improve/ detoxify air quality.. though some are better at removing certain pollutants vs. others.  Regarding palms specifically, that's an interesting question.. Would imaging there would be a list - of those that are better at processing toxic pollutants over others-  Have seen Lady Palms ( Rhapis exelsa ) listed numerous times as an option for helping to improve indoor air quality, same for Majesty ( listed in other articles ) but don't really find anything regarding which palms, if a list exists, would help " scrub the air " outdoors.  May be a case where that hasn't been studied enough, or perhaps the surface area of most palms is too small, compared to actual trees to have much ( if any ) significant impact on AQ detoxification..  Would imagine there are some that do help though.

As far as Heavy Metals floating in the air? numerous and include stuff like Copper, Cadmium, Mercury, Lead, & Zinc.  Mercury itself is toxic enough that dust from past mining operations has to be carefully managed because it can poison anything that breathes in that dust when stirred up. It also will settle on bodies of water where bacteria in the sediment transform it into a more lethal form of Mercury, which can also become airborne, say if that body of water dries up.  Grew up next door to one of the worlds largest Cinnabar/Mercury mines and such issues were common knowledge growing up.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2020 at 8:14 PM, DoomsDave said:

So, for starters, I've eaten hearts of Washies. Not bad. And, hearts of Archies (bad).

Dude, if yer hurtin' for food I can send you a coupla $$$ for some cheeseburgers, no need to eat your collction.

1 hour ago, Gonzer said:

Dude, if yer hurtin' for food I can send you a coupla $$$ for some cheeseburgers, no need to eat your collction.

Naw, but thanks!

Washies hadda come out, and a whacko roomie wacked an Archie with a machete, so it hadda come out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Sacrifice one and see!

Is there anything in Dypsis that is poisonous or irritating like oxalic acid?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Syagrus romanzoffiana fruits, x Butyagrus fruits, Jubaea fruits, Euterpe edulis fruits, Acrocomia aculeata fruits are also quite tasty.  The Acrocomia fruit inside the hard outer shell that surrounds the seed tastes like coconut.  Oh yeah, Cocos nucifera and Phoenix dactylifera should be mentioned as well!  Mauritia flexuosa fruits are often used to make delicious desserts in Brasil, but I've not personally tried the fruit raw.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

The indignous people here used to eat Livistona benthamii, humilis and inermis spears as well as Hydriastele ramsayi. L. benthamii is very well armed so wasn't particularly popular for that reason. Inermis was preferred over humilis because of taste. The fruit was also eaten but considered very ordinary because of lack of taste and very little flesh. You were only allowed to take one Hydriastele ramsayi at a time or risk incurring the wrath of the "Rainbow Serpent".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropicbreeze said:

The indignous people here used to eat Livistona benthamii, humilis and inermis spears as well as Hydriastele ramsayi. L. benthamii is very well armed so wasn't particularly popular for that reason. Inermis was preferred over humilis because of taste. The fruit was also eaten but considered very ordinary because of lack of taste and very little flesh. You were only allowed to take one Hydriastele ramsayi at a time or risk incurring the wrath of the "Rainbow Serpent".

Righteous! Where is that you live?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 2:52 PM, Frond-friend42 said:

Pindos are tasty fruit. 

At their best, they're wonderful! There was one in Long Beach near the beach, and the fruit it produced were just like apricots, had some for lunch one day, forgot my "real" lunch.

• Like 3

On 10/15/2020 at 11:37 PM, Gonzer said:

:floor:

I remember heart of Roystonea from Florida. Good!

• 6 months later...

Found this in a specialty market yesterday.  Borassus flabellifer fruits.  These are very good!  

* No palms were injured in the making of this product.

IMG_20210510_202119.jpg

Jon Sunder

I enjoyed Salak- Snakefruit- while I lived in Singapore.  I don't know the common name for Salacca Palm but it looks like an Attlea to me......................... Tastes like pineapple.

• Upvote 1

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon