Jump to content
Laaz

Lytocaryum Hoehnei

Recommended Posts

Scott W

Any signs of good pollination on the bracts that opened back in August?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Looks like it's holding about 15 fruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

I guess they're pretty happy.

 

 

20210907_150742.jpg

20210907_150737.jpg

20210907_150730.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Maybe I'll get some seed set this time around...

 

 

20210926_102313.jpg

20210926_102326.jpg

20210926_102332.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB

@Laaz the 3 spathes on mine are still just hanging out, no action. It's steady pushing fronds tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

All of mine are starting to open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Just noticed another one popped this morning...

 

 

20210926_104508.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ

I have this palm crossed with a butia from Patric , it either didn’t take or it might just be a fugly cross.  The jury is still out on it … 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
20 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Lol! Any photos?

Yeah I’ll grab one when I get home. I know others have this cross as well but have yet too see anyone else’s… perhaps they all suffer the same good looks :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
Just now, RJ said:

Yeah I’ll grab one when I get home. I know others have this cross as well but have yet too see anyone else’s… perhaps they all suffer the same good looks :rolleyes:

Hahaha well if all goes "well" Todd and I will be trying to make some mutants soon

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
6 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Hahaha well if all goes "well" Todd and I will be trying to make some mutants soon

I’m in :greenthumb:

 

It’s  (hoehnei) really a good looking palm. I’ll get around to trying a couple one of these days. 

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

I believe Patric used the butia as the mother. I would like to try the lyto as the mother with mule pollen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
2 minutes ago, Laaz said:

I believe Patric used the butia as the mother. I would like to try the lyto as the mother with mule pollen.

Yes butia is the mother of my palm. Mule pollen is usually sterile except for rare occasions, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

I believe mule female flowers are sterile & the male pollen is viable.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
Just now, Laaz said:

I believe mule female flowers are sterile & the male pollen is viable.

Hmmm I think we would see a lot of butia x mules then … 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

All of the seed that the doc's mule produced downtown were solid. He has queens & butia. If the female flowers were receptive it would have set some viable seed, but every seed was solid as a rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
1 hour ago, Laaz said:

All of the seed that the doc's mule produced downtown were solid. He has queens & butia. If the female flowers were receptive it would have set some viable seed, but every seed was solid as a rock.

Correct, but if the pollen on the mule wasn’t sterile he would possible be getting a butia x mule or queen x mule. Is he?
 

you want to use the Lyto as the mother with pollen from the mule. If mule pollen was fertile we would easily be able to make a butia x mule yet this cross is almost non existent to my knowledge. 
 

Gary Lavigne(sp) has two mutant mules that are the offspring of a DR. Wilcox mule at HBG in California. Patric has back crossed these mules with butia, (BxBQ) he has also done a (BJxBQ) that @Ben in Norcal has one of . (I have two ByxBQ from Patric) . He said these are the only mules he has encountered that have viable pollen. I also have what Patric believes to be a BJxBQ but looks nothing like Ben’s plant. It looks more butia but on steroids . Patriq says this 4 way cross is highly variable. 
 

Trying not to hyjack your awesome thread , sorry :greenthumb:

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott W
19 hours ago, RJ said:

Correct, but if the pollen on the mule wasn’t sterile he would possible be getting a butia x mule or queen x mule. Is he?
 

you want to use the Lyto as the mother with pollen from the mule. If mule pollen was fertile we would easily be able to make a butia x mule yet this cross is almost non existent to my knowledge. 
 

Gary Lavigne(sp) has two mutant mules that are the offspring of a DR. Wilcox mule at HBG in California. Patric has back crossed these mules with butia, (BxBQ) he has also done a (BJxBQ) that @Ben in Norcal has one of . (I have two ByxBQ from Patric) . He said these are the only mules he has encountered that have viable pollen. I also have what Patric believes to be a BJxBQ but looks nothing like Ben’s plant. It looks more butia but on steroids . Patriq says this 4 way cross is highly variable. 
 

Trying not to hyjack your awesome thread , sorry :greenthumb:

From this article here Dr Wilcox said that the pollen of a mule is indeed viable.  It's the only place I've seen mention of it.  Dr Frankenstein's Palms

Talking to a couple other hybridizers you don't see them using this pollen because they are more focused on using there harem to produce more mules and super mules rather than a handful of hybrid hybrids.

Im only getting into performing my own hybrids, and like Laaz have a few Lytocaryum hoehnei that pushing spathes.  First round when they do flower will most likely get Queen pollen on them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
5 hours ago, Scott W said:

From this article here Dr Wilcox said that the pollen of a mule is indeed viable.  It's the only place I've seen mention of it.  Dr Frankenstein's Palms

Talking to a couple other hybridizers you don't see them using this pollen because they are more focused on using there harem to produce more mules and super mules rather than a handful of hybrid hybrids.

Im only getting into performing my own hybrids, and like Laaz have a few Lytocaryum hoehnei that pushing spathes.  First round when they do flower will most likely get Queen pollen on them.

His mules are the only ones that I’m aware of that have demonstrated viable pollen , and not all of them are. The late Dick Douglas I believe had some enormous mules from DR. Wilcox as well. Patrix attempted to cross these as well with no luck. That is a mule behind a Jubaea. 
 

as I said there are enough mules planted around now with other palms that we would see these hybrids popping up IMO. 
 

I certainly  you wish you the best of luck. :greenthumb:
 

 

 

 

 

 

3D5D2FE3-8D8A-42B8-A0F1-EC480873C266.webp

B0AFDEBB-E132-4592-BDA7-6D2E57FE0607.webp

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 9/26/2021 at 1:01 PM, Laaz said:

Lol! Any photos?

Dunno looks pretty butia to me, but fronds are green like erospathia :wacko:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

Looks a lot like a scrawny butia. I say you're right, a bit ugly.

Edited by Laaz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
1 minute ago, Laaz said:

Looks a lot like a scrawny butia. I say you're right, a but ugly.

Not particularly fast either. I’ll put it in the ground next year and see what it does …. Not expecting much tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jesse PNW

Sorry if I'm threadjacking here, do Lytocaryums do OK with overhead watering, like from a mist nozzle in a greenhouse?  I've got a couple hoehni and insigne from Jeff at Floribunda.  Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott W
4 hours ago, RJ said:

His mules are the only ones that I’m aware of that have demonstrated viable pollen , and not all of them are. The late Dick Douglas I believe had some enormous mules from DR. Wilcox as well. Patrix attempted to cross these as well with no luck. That is a mule behind a Jubaea. 

as I said there are enough mules planted around now with other palms that we would see these hybrids popping up IMO. 

I certainly  you wish you the best of luck. :greenthumb:

Thanks. For the additional info.  I'm by no means an expert, but I am researching and learning all I can from those nearby and online.  I have a Frank Lewis mule that is flowering that I plan to relocate to my current house in the spring, and also fortunate enough to have a Dr Wilcox mule, so maybe I'll get lucky.  No harm in trying, at least for me.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB

Oh happy day

 

20210927_203921.jpg

20210927_203955.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Oh happy day

 

 

 

Not much time left for the seeds to set… curious to see how it pans out …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
34 minutes ago, RJ said:

Not much time left for the seeds to set… curious to see how it pans out …

I was thinking the same thing, either way I'm stoked that it's even attempting to flower after being in place for less than 3 months

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

We normally don't get a frost until late December & only about 7-10 nights a year below freezing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
9 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Laaz mine won't see frost, ever

Keeping it in the fridge :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
16 minutes ago, RJ said:

Keeping it in the fridge :P

Lol lemme rephrase, with the heavy canopy it is highly unlikely

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laaz

In your zone it will see frost...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...