IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum Hoehnei

Laaz

The second inground Lyto has sent up a flower stalk. Still nothing from the potted ones even though they are about the same size. This is the one that took 16F & had spear pull.

20200606-120411-1.jpg

• Like 5

That's super cool, seems pretty young to be flowering maybe? I didn't realize these palms were this cold hardy, I thought low 20's at best. I just acquired a Butia odorata x Lytocaryum Hoehnei from Patric, but its just strap leaf at this stage, hopefully it will turn out to be a nice hybrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

The second inground Lyto has sent up a flower stalk. Still nothing from the potted ones even though they are about the same size. This is the one that took 16F & had spear pull.

20200606-120411-1.jpg

Wow 16f is impressive , was it a dry cold snap,  how humid was it at the time ? 

T J 

I threw a plastic tarp over it, we had freezing rain & then snow. After that it barley got above freezing for a week straight. No supplemental heat at all.

Edited by Laaz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

I threw a plastic tarp over it, we had freezing rain & then snow. After that it barley got above freezing for a week straight. No supplemental heat at all.

Tough lil palm then. You try one of Patrics ButiaxLyto Hoehnei yet ? Seems like a great lil palm for small gardens for sure. At what temp will you be protecting in the future ? 

T J 

Haven't tried the hybrid, but will attempt to make my own with the pollen from these. If it is forecast to be a severe freeze I throw a tarp over them again.

• Like 2

I would think with Butia as the mother in the mix of this hybrid the cold hardiness would be in the upper teens.  Anyone else out there growing Butia odorata x Lytocaryum hoednei? With any experience with cold hardiness?

I think Matt in Dallas has a Butia x L. weddellianum. I think his burnt about 90% in the low twenties but came back. I don't think this particular hybrid has really been tested. I have a strap leaf that's in the ground here. Hopefully it'll never really be tested, though. :P

I don't know what to make of my BXHoehnei Hasn't done much. Wondering if I got one that wasn't a successful crpss. I think it was one of Patric's first batches. Purchased it maybe two years ago.  

On 6/7/2020 at 1:18 AM, RJ said:

I don't know what to make of my BXHoehnei Hasn't done much. Wondering if I got one that wasn't a successful crpss. I think it was one of Patric's first batches. Purchased it maybe two years ago.  

Think you are right!

I've bought it b. paraguaensis X lyto(hoehnei guess) 2/3 years ago and turned up not sure what but anyway Patric was very kind and send me replacement of butia x lytocaryum hoehnei. Looks different so I have hopes it will turn to fine lil palm. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, 8B palms said:

I would think with Butia as the mother in the mix of this hybrid the cold hardiness would be in the upper teens.  Anyone else out there growing Butia odorata x Lytocaryum hoednei? With any experience with cold hardiness?

How is your palm looking so far? Mind showing a picture of it so I can compare. 

Lazz, sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread. 

-RJ

Edited by RJ

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Laaz said:

I think it's time to throw a couple on craigslst...

20210418_121405.jpg

I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat if they were shippable. 

Charleston, SC 1200 miles away. Whew! I can do 800 in a day.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Charleston, SC 1200 miles away. Whew! I can do 800 in a day.

I'll buy one and give you a Marriott friends and family rate form :floor: Hell, I'll pay for your room.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'll buy one and give you a Marriott friends and family rate form :floor: Hell, I'll pay for your room.

@Collectorpalms I'll pitch in on some gas , if you pick me 1 up too =) 

• Upvote 1

T J 

15 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Collectorpalms I'll pitch in on some gas , if you pick me 1 up too =) 

The Texas Connection :floor:

"It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine." - Wayne Campbell, Wayne's World. 

Looks fantastic Dave! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

"It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine." - Wayne Campbell, Wayne's World. 

Looks fantastic Dave! 

Thanks John! 

I figured this was prolly going to be one of the only (if not the only) opportunities to add one of these to the collection, so a trip to Charleston was had :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Thanks John! 

I figured this was prolly going to be one of the only (if not the only) opportunities to add one of these to the collection, so a trip to Charleston was had :D

I'm convinced they only exist in posts from @Laaz and @Pal Meir

13 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Thanks John! 

Protect it and maybe you can provide your fellow palm talk members with some seeds! 

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

It is at the size my others started to flower. So far none have set seed, but hopefully this year they will produce some seed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Protect it and maybe you can provide your fellow palm talk members with some seeds! 

I'd be ecstatic if I got viable seeds from this little beaut and the day I do I'll be happy to distribute amongst the club :D

6 hours ago, Laaz said:

Looks great Dave. Good seeing you again. Now protect that beast.

I hope to not let you down

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2020 at 3:56 PM, 8B palms said:

Anyone else out there growing Butia odorata x Lytocaryum hoednei? With any experience with cold hardiness?

There's very little information on this hybrid. I believe Patrick told me it hasn't been 'out there' yet for longer than 4/5 years. I am not sure what to think of it to be honest. My small specimen (~ 1" trunk diameter) did surprisingly well during the big Texas freeze (got down to 3F here). I protected it with a bit of straw and a single frost blanket (no heat protection!). It's in a small creek bed and so it has some natural protection from wind. It looked fairly undamaged and its pushing out leaves now. This is more than I can say for several other palms that received the same level of protection (and showed spear pull or severe fungal or leaf damage).

Let me know if you're interested in a pic.

• Upvote 1