IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum Hoehnei

Laaz

• 3 weeks later...

I have this palm crossed with a butia from Patric , it either didn’t take or it might just be a fugly cross.  The jury is still out on it … 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Lol! Any photos?

Yeah I’ll grab one when I get home. I know others have this cross as well but have yet too see anyone else’s… perhaps they all suffer the same good looks :rolleyes:

Just now, RJ said:

Yeah I’ll grab one when I get home. I know others have this cross as well but have yet too see anyone else’s… perhaps they all suffer the same good looks :rolleyes:

Hahaha well if all goes "well" Todd and I will be trying to make some mutants soon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Hahaha well if all goes "well" Todd and I will be trying to make some mutants soon

I’m in :greenthumb:

It’s  (hoehnei) really a good looking palm. I’ll get around to trying a couple one of these days. 

Edited by RJ

2 minutes ago, Laaz said:

I believe Patric used the butia as the mother. I would like to try the lyto as the mother with mule pollen.

Yes butia is the mother of my palm. Mule pollen is usually sterile except for rare occasions, correct?

Just now, Laaz said:

I believe mule female flowers are sterile & the male pollen is viable.

Hmmm I think we would see a lot of butia x mules then … 

All of the seed that the doc's mule produced downtown were solid. He has queens & butia. If the female flowers were receptive it would have set some viable seed, but every seed was solid as a rock.

1 hour ago, Laaz said:

All of the seed that the doc's mule produced downtown were solid. He has queens & butia. If the female flowers were receptive it would have set some viable seed, but every seed was solid as a rock.

Correct, but if the pollen on the mule wasn’t sterile he would possible be getting a butia x mule or queen x mule. Is he?

you want to use the Lyto as the mother with pollen from the mule. If mule pollen was fertile we would easily be able to make a butia x mule yet this cross is almost non existent to my knowledge. 

Gary Lavigne(sp) has two mutant mules that are the offspring of a DR. Wilcox mule at HBG in California. Patric has back crossed these mules with butia, (BxBQ) he has also done a (BJxBQ) that @Ben in Norcal has one of . (I have two ByxBQ from Patric) . He said these are the only mules he has encountered that have viable pollen. I also have what Patric believes to be a BJxBQ but looks nothing like Ben’s plant. It looks more butia but on steroids . Patriq says this 4 way cross is highly variable. 

Trying not to hyjack your awesome thread , sorry :greenthumb:

Edited by RJ

19 hours ago, RJ said:

Correct, but if the pollen on the mule wasn’t sterile he would possible be getting a butia x mule or queen x mule. Is he?

you want to use the Lyto as the mother with pollen from the mule. If mule pollen was fertile we would easily be able to make a butia x mule yet this cross is almost non existent to my knowledge. 

Gary Lavigne(sp) has two mutant mules that are the offspring of a DR. Wilcox mule at HBG in California. Patric has back crossed these mules with butia, (BxBQ) he has also done a (BJxBQ) that @Ben in Norcal has one of . (I have two ByxBQ from Patric) . He said these are the only mules he has encountered that have viable pollen. I also have what Patric believes to be a BJxBQ but looks nothing like Ben’s plant. It looks more butia but on steroids . Patriq says this 4 way cross is highly variable. 

Trying not to hyjack your awesome thread , sorry :greenthumb:

From this article here Dr Wilcox said that the pollen of a mule is indeed viable.  It's the only place I've seen mention of it.  Dr Frankenstein's Palms

Talking to a couple other hybridizers you don't see them using this pollen because they are more focused on using there harem to produce more mules and super mules rather than a handful of hybrid hybrids.

Im only getting into performing my own hybrids, and like Laaz have a few Lytocaryum hoehnei that pushing spathes.  First round when they do flower will most likely get Queen pollen on them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott W said:

From this article here Dr Wilcox said that the pollen of a mule is indeed viable.  It's the only place I've seen mention of it.  Dr Frankenstein's Palms

Talking to a couple other hybridizers you don't see them using this pollen because they are more focused on using there harem to produce more mules and super mules rather than a handful of hybrid hybrids.

Im only getting into performing my own hybrids, and like Laaz have a few Lytocaryum hoehnei that pushing spathes.  First round when they do flower will most likely get Queen pollen on them.

His mules are the only ones that I’m aware of that have demonstrated viable pollen , and not all of them are. The late Dick Douglas I believe had some enormous mules from DR. Wilcox as well. Patrix attempted to cross these as well with no luck. That is a mule behind a Jubaea. 

as I said there are enough mules planted around now with other palms that we would see these hybrids popping up IMO. 

I certainly  you wish you the best of luck. :greenthumb:

3D5D2FE3-8D8A-42B8-A0F1-EC480873C266.webp

B0AFDEBB-E132-4592-BDA7-6D2E57FE0607.webp

Edited by RJ

On 9/26/2021 at 1:01 PM, Laaz said:

Lol! Any photos?

Dunno looks pretty butia to me, but fronds are green like erospathia :wacko:

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 minute ago, Laaz said:

Looks a lot like a scrawny butia. I say you're right, a but ugly.

Not particularly fast either. I’ll put it in the ground next year and see what it does …. Not expecting much tbh 

Sorry if I'm threadjacking here, do Lytocaryums do OK with overhead watering, like from a mist nozzle in a greenhouse?  I've got a couple hoehni and insigne from Jeff at Floribunda.  Thanks. 

4 hours ago, RJ said:

His mules are the only ones that I’m aware of that have demonstrated viable pollen , and not all of them are. The late Dick Douglas I believe had some enormous mules from DR. Wilcox as well. Patrix attempted to cross these as well with no luck. That is a mule behind a Jubaea. 

as I said there are enough mules planted around now with other palms that we would see these hybrids popping up IMO. 

I certainly  you wish you the best of luck. :greenthumb:

Thanks. For the additional info.  I'm by no means an expert, but I am researching and learning all I can from those nearby and online.  I have a Frank Lewis mule that is flowering that I plan to relocate to my current house in the spring, and also fortunate enough to have a Dr Wilcox mule, so maybe I'll get lucky.  No harm in trying, at least for me.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Oh happy day

Not much time left for the seeds to set… curious to see how it pans out …

34 minutes ago, RJ said:

Not much time left for the seeds to set… curious to see how it pans out …

I was thinking the same thing, either way I'm stoked that it's even attempting to flower after being in place for less than 3 months

• Upvote 1