IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum Hoehnei

Laaz

13 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Plus some Insigne's, but they need to put on some size before they go in the ground.

20210425_164854.jpg

Where the hell were you hiding these? Lol

• 3 weeks later...

I May have a few extras of these in smaller shippable sizes soon. If interested, PM for details. Lower 48 USA.

Ryan

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

48 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I May have a few extras of these in smaller shippable sizes soon. If interested, PM for details. Lower 48 USA.

Ryan

You seriously?

• Like 1

Yes, but seems like no interest which is surprising. Guess I’ll keep them for my collection. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Yes, but seems like no interest which is surprising. Guess I’ll keep them for my collection. 

I've wanted a couple for months now. 

22 hours ago, Laaz said:

Hoping this year will produce some seed...

20210517-121814-1.jpg

Todd, do these (or L. wedd.) tolerate clay at all or does the soil need to be really well-draining?

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

I don't fully understand these guys. I planted a lot of them over a year ago in many different locations (raised beds, clay, well-watered, minimal hand watering). It seems like they want well-drained, well-watered soil and shade.

Some of my small ones are coming back from the ground in Houston. My largest one which was a real beauty seems dead. :(  

On 5/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, Collectorpalms said:

This comment has my curiosity,  are you already selling palms again ? 

• Upvote 1

T J 

51 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

This comment has my curiosity,  are you already selling palms again ? 

Not now. Possibly 2 years when I have enough inventory. Though I may need to sell some things to support others in the meanwhile. Just palms and companion plants for Texas.

Edited by Collectorpalms

25 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Not now. Possibly 2 years when I have enough inventory. Though I may need to sell some things to support others in the meanwhile. Just palms and companion plants for Texas.

Pm sent anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...

I knew I should have kept that mofo! Lmao! The last one I have in a container is also pushing a Inflorescence.. I have 4 now flowering.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, Laaz said:

I knew I should have kept that mofo! Lmao! The last one I have in a container is also pushing a Inflorescence.. I have 4 now flowering.

Lol It just knows it's in good hands :D

Here's a shot of it from the other night - it settled in quick

20210613_232614.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Lol It just knows it's in good hands :D

Here's a shot of it from the other night - it settled in quick

20210613_232614.jpg

Those rope lights are a whole vibe. Looks fantastic. 

@JohnAndSancho thanks John :shaka-2:. We got Christmas lights strung through the trees as well. Between them and the ground lighting they do an awesome job of providing enough light for the patio area while accenting all the foliage around it

20210618_214303.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, Laaz said:

9, need to find a spot for the last one.

@Laaz @DAVEinMB

Any special soil amendments or just your native soil?

Edited by Scott W

9 minutes ago, Scott W said:

@Laaz @DAVEinMB

Any special soil amendments or just your native soil?

Mine is planted in very sandy soil. About 14" below it there's a good bit of gravel and a French drain system

• Like 1

Yeah, I have landscape pebble mixed in with garden soil. About 6 inches down is red clay.

• Like 1

@Laaz @DAVEinMB

Thanks for the replies.  I have both a Lytocaryum weddellianum and hoehnei that I intend to put in the ground so I was a little curious, especially after reading many topics on the forum regarding proper potted soil conditions for them.

I posted in another thread about how well my soil drains, and after the rain we've had this last week it certainly shows.  I have several five gallon buckets scattered around the yard that have been filled up from rain water, but this hole in the ground where a future pond is going to be built is empty.  This side of the yard gets late afternoon sun, so it should be ideal for them with a little amendment for increased drainage.

PXL_20210625_231748251.thumb.jpg.367608863b12578f6f80ceeb26a25dcc.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 4:50 PM, Laaz said:

Plus some Insigne's, but they need to put on some size before they go in the ground.

Curious where you got these from...

No flowers yet but got 2 spathes and some new fronds. From ground to top of the fronds is about 5 and a half feet

20210702_130347.jpg

20210702_130406.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Laaz I'm in the same boat. A 3rd spathe is emerging but no action on the original 2

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Laaz Very nice!!!

I've got four out of eleven pushing six spathes.  One has gotten really fat, hoping it will be popping soon.  My pal Rich Lindberg just had one pop open as well.  He primarily does hybrids so not sure what he's doing with it yet...

Never give up. This one had spear pull for no reason in the spring. I poured peroxide down the hole & watched it for a few months with no growth. I went to remove it this morning & it's finally showing signs of life.

20210815_094932.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Laaz said:

Looks like a good mix of male & female flowers.

VERY NICE!!! :yay:

Absolutely, let me know when you're in Jville or passing through.  I'd love to give you a tour!

• 4 weeks later...