IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your Lytocaryum insigne

Pal Meir

I have two variants of this palm.  Some has more black fibers then others.

Tomorrow I´ll posts some pics

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 1 month later...

Hard to get a good pic, but here is my largest in the ground. 

B95DC621-BF76-4F2A-B7C7-09B9DDBD0C87.jpeg

01CAFA0A-EEE4-42C6-95B5-1FB6F9F22EB0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Here my ten babies when they were still together in 2015:

1034808457_Syagrusinsignis2015-07-15P1000737.thumb.jpg.af47f98d00839213fafdf4a157e4ca7f.jpg

How may the other 8 of those do now? :interesting:

It is now 4:45 h MEST in the early morning and 25.3°C warm; as it is still dark I had to use a flash reflecting the silvery undersides of the leaflets:

1572108812_N14012020-08-01P1050521.thumb.jpg.52029696f3705736310f5afbbe38fba8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

@LJG That‘s looking very healthy. Do you know how old it is?

Thanks. Every year looks better. It’s from the same seed run as yours. So same age. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Do you keep it outdoors in a garden?

I planted it outside earlier this year because I was struggling to stop the leaves yellowing. If we get a cold winter I will either protect it well or dig it up again. I don't know of anyone else trying this outside in the UK, but they're supposed to be relatively hardy.

16 hours ago, Josh76 said:

I planted it outside earlier this year because I was struggling to stop the leaves yellowing. If we get a cold winter I will either protect it well or dig it up again. I don't know of anyone else trying this outside in the UK, but they're supposed to be relatively hardy.

»… supposed to be relatively hardy.« Be careful, there don‘t exist any reliable data, as far as I know. It is only because they can grow at altitudes of nearly 1800 m (in the tropics, e.g. -20.52 -41.10).

• Like 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Foxpalms said:

Is this palm still growing outside and well?

I'm very sorry to say that it is no longer alive. It's first winter in the ground it scorched badly even though it had overhead protection and we didn't get much cold at all... and the following year it never took off again and eventually gave up in late summer despite all my efforts to save it. Sorry Pal 😭

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josh76 said:

I'm very sorry to say that it is no longer alive. It's first winter in the ground it scorched badly even though it had overhead protection and we didn't get much cold at all... and the following year it never took off again and eventually gave up in late summer despite all my efforts to save it. Sorry Pal 😭

Unfortunate, what temperature did it get down too?

Edited by Foxpalms

On 9/22/2022 at 10:50 PM, Foxpalms said:

Unfortunate, what temperature did it get down too?

No lower than -3ºC and it had overhead protection. I guess these palms don't have the hardiness that some websites suggest. Or perhaps it wasn't mature enough. Either way I was sad to lose it 😭

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josh76 said:

No lower than -3ºC and it had overhead protection. I guess these palms don't have the hardiness that some websites suggest. Or perhaps it wasn't mature enough. Either way I was sad to lose it 😭

I might still try one here, what was the soil mix was it planted In they seem to have very specific requirements regarding the soil from what I've read.