IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Neem oil on palms?

Noob2palms

Hi!
I just gave a solid coat of neem oil to my 2 Xmas palms as a last resort because they are deteriorating quickly and no one can identify what’s going on..  I also see what looks like white fungus/black spotting 

My question is am I supposed to wash it off In the AM or leave it on? Seems like people say it can suffocate the leaves. I used Bonide Neem Oil pre mixed ready use bottle to be specific. 

Thanks in advance! 

Leave it on and repeat the application in a week. 

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Leave it on and repeat the application in a week. 

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! 

I use Neem Oil concentrate (mixed properly) twice a month around the garden as a preventative, and use it to completely soak my Majesty Palm on this routine during the growing season outdoors because they are spider mite magnets. I have never had an issue with leaf burn as a result of neem oil when used as directed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dartolution said:

I use Neem Oil concentrate (mixed properly) twice a month around the garden as a preventative, and use it to completely soak my Majesty Palm on this routine during the growing season outdoors because they are spider mite magnets. I have never had an issue with leaf burn as a result of neem oil when used as directed. 

Thank you 

13 hours ago, Noob2palms said:

Hi!
I just gave a solid coat of neem oil to my 2 Xmas palms as a last resort because they are deteriorating quickly and no one can identify what’s going on..  I also see what looks like white fungus/black spotting 

My question is am I supposed to wash it off In the AM or leave it on? Seems like people say it can suffocate the leaves. I used Bonide Neem Oil pre mixed ready use bottle to be specific. 

Thanks in advance! 

Post a picture here. A lot of good people/information available here.

The only major risk I'm aware of is sunburn of leaves.  If you apply it in the middle of the day in full blazing sun the oil can bead up and effectively act like a ton of tiny little magnifying glasses.  I accidentally torched a sago (Cycas Revoluta) a couple of years ago doing that.  So just don't do that!  :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

The only major risk I'm aware of is sunburn of leaves.  If you apply it in the middle of the day in full blazing sun the oil can bead up and effectively act like a ton of tiny little magnifying glasses.  I accidentally torched a sago (Cycas Revoluta) a couple of years ago doing that.  So just don't do that!  :D

100% agree with this statement 

T J 

7 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Post a picture here. A lot of good people/information available here.

Thanks! Here’s a link to my previous post in potted palms with pics :) 

8 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Thanks for the tip! I applied it at 6pm last night just in case