IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any pictures on CIDP

Kris

22 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

How do these look so good with the cool rainy winter they have?

Wow. 46f daytime high in the winter that's very cold. And only 36f overnight. I'm impressed these do so well there!

Ah yes, first of all this CIDP grows in the absolute center of London which is nearly frostfree (well occasionally 28f) and there are no cold coastal winds in the center to brown the edges of the fronds or to yellow the fronds. Planted in heavy London clay probably also helps. But the main thing is, CIDP's dont need heat to look good. I know they grow mostly in hot summer climates but they dont need it. The butia next to the CIDP looks allright but you can tell its growing in a heat deprived climate.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those nice visuals gentlemen, And also for keeping this thread Alive.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 months later...

Thanks Ante,

For those lovely visuals..

Here are few videos that impressed me,Both the machinery and the professional skills employed in CIDP & Phoenix Palm  Removal,Transportation and replanting..

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Martinez, California (2015)

DSC_0112-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

Petaluma, California (2015)

DSC_0094-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

Sacramento, California (2016)

DSC_0295-2.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mission San Rafael Arcangel, California (2016)

DSC_02501.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015, 7:07:49, RobustaEnvirons said:

I personally find the CIDP to be amazing. Here it is growing in England of all places! How is it able to grow in England, when I would stand no chance at keeping one alive here in Toledo, Ohio (6B)? England is further north than Toledo, Ohio as well. Its a hop away from the Arctic Circle, but yet this CIDP looks as if it can't be bothered! Totally awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxYUpYYU-s

1.JPG

unfortunatly,  the gulf current makes england much warmer then ohio.  Ive always wondered why they can grow date palms but in CT people struggle with their sabal minors, trachys and even basjoo bananas!

• Upvote 1

I wish the stupid desiese killing the CIDPs in europe didnt exist.  now they are planting washingtonias all over spain to replace them.  I dont like washingtonias at all.  why not palmettos, or livistonas

2 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

I wish the stupid desiese killing the CIDPs in europe didnt exist.  now they are planting washingtonias all over spain to replace them.  I dont like washingtonias at all.  why not palmettos, or livistonas

We have both, and they are naturalized, so they grow in the wild everywhere. The crownshaft of the CIDP can get unbelievably huge, and only homeowners with very large properties will generally grow them. Or they will just consume the whole front yard.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Because Washingtonia can live of the naturally light rainfall of Spain.

19 hours ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Always the most common palm in Spain was and is, the Washintonia. And followed for the date palm in mediterranean places and for canary palm in cool and inland areas.

Now, the people plant Washintonias because they are cheap and fast. 

Why not palmettos or Livistonas?

Palmettos are a rare palm in Spain and are too slow here.

Livistonas, for people are like Washintonias but slower and expensive.

And of course, nobody are planting canary palms, is too expensive fight against red weevil.

• Upvote 1

Nice video of CIDP Replanting work,But its placed on elevated bed but the end product looks good.Effortless work and all mechanized..Location Switzerland. 

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

These are not so big, but still nice. The first two are the same palms. One angle only looks like one.    Taken near Fort Lauderdale By The Sea, Florida, about 3 weeks go.  Enjoy!!!  

IMG_9904.JPG

IMG_9905.JPG

IMG_9903.JPG

IMG_9906.JPG

• Upvote 2

Some nice CIDP from the Loro Park in Tenerife (Canary islands). Everywhere you look in Tenerife you see amazing mature CIDP.

DSC02417[2].JPG

• Upvote 4

I tool these pictures from "Macquarie Park Cemetery and Crematorium" 2 weeks ago...I got all my CIDP seeds from here...

it was a very windy day ...

IMG_8243.JPG

IMG_8242.JPG

IMG_8241.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

• Upvote 6

Hello there,

we`ve got a few ones over here as well but I think ours are not such beauties like those posted before.

(Long and humid summers, typhoons and sometimes pretty much salt in the air...)

However, here are two of them...

001x.thumb.jpg.cb35230c1c0c80da936cf59ea

...a very young one - pretty close to the beach - ...

003x.thumb.jpg.0e5eb84a40b912fa0d4fc4c80

...and here an older one, a little bit more away from the shore.

best regards

• Upvote 3

On 10/9/2016 17:17:56, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

And if I say you that the people is putting massive amounts of Syagrus? :(

Like Monòver said, from always the most common palm in Spain was the Washingtonia (look at famous photos of Valencia, Barcelona, Alicante, Palma, Malaga etc) and Ph. Dactylfera tended to be planted in inland areas, Madrid is full of them for example and it's at the centre of the Iberian Peninsula!

This is how CIDP look in Ciempozuelos, Madrid in the winter:

Ciempozuelos_-_Plaza_Mayor.JPG

Edited by pRoeZa*
  • Upvote 4

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

In the North of Spain the most common one is CIDP, that's for sure. Here a good example of mature ones in Coruña.

Captura.thumb.PNG.fd1932d11eae43b0207fac

Edited by Sanips
  • Upvote 4

08053.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

these were installed yesterday at a house that belonged to President Kennedy

IMG_3769.JPG.a872cac2d169f9a23d3e9b6e370

IMG_3771.JPG.012149bbf1139a80810652e58e9

• Upvote 2

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This little one is from seed collected in Sonoma CA. I started it in 2014 and neglected it a bit before going into the ground.

canary5-17.jpg

• Upvote 2

I am trying to get this one to come home with me without my wife noticing 

20170524_123209.jpg

• Upvote 3