IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any pictures on CIDP

Kris

Hey Kris, happy to see this thread resurface once again.... I planted this phoenix back in 1973 in Sierra Vista Arizona, at an altitude of 4600'; this past winter it had it's most trying winter to date, when it saw two consecutive nights of 3F and 8F! The canopy was totally defoliated but as you can see, it's making a full recovery. This is the second severe test for the palm as it recovered from 6F back in 1978. On most years it experiences lows around 20F and has minor foliage damage. Cheers.... Jv

post-362-006533200 1317092238_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Dear Jv,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for that still.If possible can you post stills of that palm when its crown was full with rich green fronds.Yes any old classic stills of that palm is much appreciated.

Lots of love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a little picture of the donor palm for my seeds.....Kris, you're welcome to add this to other great pictures you already have of your favorite. Scott

post-6612-0-57000500-1368915499_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the visuals and also for keeping this thread "Alive"

Lots of love to you all,

Kris Achar.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I planted 3 CIDP along my verge, I wanted something to protect my garden from the winds coming from that direction. They were planted approx 4-5 years ago when the area I live in was in it's development stages. On 2 separate occasions I awoke to find that first palm had been kicked out of the ground and lying in the gutter. Both times I just stuck it straight back in the ground and it is still alive!

Here's a pic around the time they were planted.

post-6144-0-66459300-1369050272_thumb.jp

This next pic was taken just over a year ago

post-6144-0-60805200-1369050313_thumb.jp

Just found a photo from March, the first CIDP is recovering from a borer infestation, its had a hard life!

post-6144-0-20180700-1369050658_thumb.jp

My favorite planting of CIDP at Asti winery in Northern California, Originally an Italian/Swiss colony formed in 1881. I think the palms were planted around the late 1890's

IMG_2082_zpsecca303f.jpg

• Upvote 4

- Eric Arneson

lan-backyard-design-copy1.jpg

Dear Eric,

Beautiful still and that too in Big Size.I meant both the still & the mature palms in it.Its a visual delight and you have made me

feel very happy...

Thanks very much & Love,

Kris Achar.

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is one From Tas

132.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kris,

this CIDP is growing in the center of London UK. Picture taken a couple of weeks ago.

Axel

post-3264-0-00883500-1369944172_thumb.jp

• Upvote 3

Here is a little picture of the donor palm for my seeds.....Kris, you're welcome to add this to other great pictures you already have of your favorite. Scott

attachicon.gifcanary date palm1.JPG

i love the CIDP at that size. there's a couple of them that i pass by couple times a week that are just a tad taller and look absolutely amazing how perfectly trimmed they are, as much as i'd love to grow one i don't think my small space can manage the full crown before it starts trunking. if i had the money to put into one that's already trunked and shaved i'd do it in a heartbeat

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fabulous pics in here. I must grow another, plant myself a date.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

• 3 months later...

I personally find the CIDP to be amazing. Here it is growing in England of all places! How is it able to grow in England, when I would stand no chance at keeping one alive here in Toledo, Ohio (6B)? England is further north than Toledo, Ohio as well. Its a hop away from the Arctic Circle, but yet this CIDP looks as if it can't be bothered! Totally awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxYUpYYU-s

1.JPG

Edited by RobustaEnvirons
  • Upvote 2

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

9 minutes ago, RobustaEnvirons said:

I perfonally find the CIDP to be amazing. Here it is growing in England of all places! How is it able to grow in England, when I would stand no chance at keeping one alive here in Toledo, Ohio (6B)? England is further north than Toledo, Ohio as well. Its a hope away from the Arctic Circle, but yet this CIDP looks as if it can't be bothered! Totally awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxYUpYYU-s

1.JPG

Even though England is further north, it has a much more temperate climate than Ohio as it has the effects of the gulf stream keeping it warmer.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

2 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Even though England is further north, it has a much more temperate climate than Ohio as it has the gulf stream keeping it warmer.

Oh, well that bites. Its pretty bad when England is warmer than Toledo, Ohio. Geez, I can't win. Ironically, the USDA websites shows the areas directly around the Great Lakes to be warmer than areas inland of the Great Lakes. So at least Toledo is a little warmer than if it were more inland. But, still nowhere as warm as England I'd imagine (judging from the size of that CIDP). Oh well, I can't wait until I can move to Orlando.  

Richard Berry 

Toledo, Ohio. Zone 6b, along the Western Shores of Lake Erie. I'm a big Potted Palm enthusiast. I love the Washingtonia Robusta: its Resilient, Adaptable, and grows so rapidly. You can't keep it down; The Skyscraper Palm!  

• 1 month later...

Got one sprouting, planted in November 

PicsArt_01-04-02.24.27-picsay.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Here is one of my sprouted P.cs

IMG_20160312_135144.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 02/12/2015, 00:15:00, Palmaceae said:

Even though England is further north, it has a much more temperate climate than Ohio as it has the effects of the gulf stream keeping it warmer.

I wouldn't be able to keep one alive if we have a hard winter here in Northern England. We've had temps as low as -20c in the past. Tho the past few winters have been very mild!

• Upvote 1

On May 30, 2013 at 1:03:59 PM, Axel Amsterdam said:

Hi Kris,

this CIDP is growing in the center of London UK. Picture taken a couple of weeks ago.

Axel

post-3264-0-00883500-1369944172_thumb.jp

How do these look so good with the cool rainy winter they have?

Wow. 46f daytime high in the winter that's very cold. And only 36f overnight. I'm impressed these do so well there!

Edited by NorCalKing
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, samirbouag said:

:P

12805905_847030738776024_1657030186677972696_n.jpg

Profile pic!