IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any pictures on CIDP

Kris

One with a small crown in Miami.... Jv

post-362-1236898762_thumb.jpg

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Dear Friends :)

Thanks a lot for the visuals...

here are few intreasting stills from our member bubba.

here is a still of a villa or mansion,where the mature CIDP's looks fabulous ! :drool:

post-108-1237477557_thumb.jpg

Here is a another stills,where one could compare a weak looking palm in reference to a size of a CIDP (i.e comparative still) :mrlooney:

post-108-1237477667_thumb.jpg

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 months later...
Yeah, I was thinking of Kris when I saw this very old Phoenix canariensis in an old Point Loma garden recently:

DSC_0151.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Korcula, Croatia

GroteFoto-Q88XRJJ8.jpg

Split Boulevard, Croatia

GroteFoto-BSOSLEMX.jpg

Again Split Boulevard, Croatia

GroteFoto-FEWJPQDJ.jpg

These stills were made in 2007 when i visited my fatherland for the last time.

One year ago i became father (the only year i didnt visit croatia in my life) and this year i will bring my sun with me to enjoy this great country.

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

Temperature 2008 High:89.2 °F / 31.8 °C Low:24.6 °F / -4.1 °C Average:50.9 °F / 10.5 °C

Temperature in 2000-2008 High:100.6 °F / 38.1 °C Low:19.8 °F / -6.8 °C Average:54.0 °F / 12.2 °C

Zone 9?? that would be awsome!!! but i think 8b.

My tiny little CIPD in the netherlands :rolleyes:

GroteFoto-VPXKF3NQ.jpg

Greets.

Temperature 2008 High:89.2 °F / 31.8 °C Low:24.6 °F / -4.1 °C Average:50.9 °F / 10.5 °C

Temperature in 2000-2008 High:100.6 °F / 38.1 °C Low:19.8 °F / -6.8 °C Average:54.0 °F / 12.2 °C

Dalmatino, nice looking baby CIDP! Pretty soon it will totally take over that patio area....

What place is pictured in your avatar????

Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

dscf0030_4.jpg

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USDA zone 8a... about the coldest place they can grow and get enough heat to recover from partial damage most years. It's also very dry and sunny here in winter, which helps.

dscf0013.jpg

Huaraz, Peru at 10,000' altitude

dscf0085.jpg

Cusco, Peru at 10,600' (and apparently there's one above 11,000' outside the city, but I didn't have time to track it down). Any examples from a higher altitude than this?

phoenix_can_harbor.jpg

Brookings, Oregon. A monster

• Upvote 1

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

phoenix_can_goldbeach.jpg

Finally... here's one a couple miles east of Gold Beach, Oregon. This is the most northerly really large one I know of on the North American West Coast. However a guy on Anderson Island, Washington had one that was getting quite impressive several years back and I haven't heard anything about it since.... if it's still there it might be starting to grow a trunk.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Some interesting adds Ian..... is that one near Gold Beach in the area called the 'Banana Belt' ??? Jv

Some interesting adds Ian..... is that one near Gold Beach in the area called the 'Banana Belt' ??? Jv

That's what people call it who don't live there. It's a great climate for plants but not so great for (many) people. An acquaintance in Brookings (who may lurk here; I don't know) complains about this quite a bit. It rains 80 inches a year and fog can keep temperatures cold in summer. Personally I wouldn't mind having a few acres there to plant things on but I don't think I'd live there either. :)

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Thanks Ian for the added info. I had read about the area in the past and some literature stated that this area was referred to as the banana belt.... I guess because it has the warmest climate of the region. It made me wonder how many palms one might find there.... Jv

Thanx JV!

The picture from my avatar is Dubrovnik in Croatia.

Greets!

This is one of the first palm seeds that I germinated: (son Leonard and daughter Lydia)

post-465-1246573443_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Good looking CIDP Alberto! There is something special about a plant that you obtained by germinating the seeds. Jv

Dear Friends :)

Lovely visuals of my loved palm.. :drool:

Dear Alberto :)

Seeing your still,iam in a fix situation as to decide which is beautiful,your kids or your baby(CIDP) Since you germinated it,it does have a lot of significance too ! :hmm::)

Thanks for that beautiful still,which iam going to remember for many years to come ! :winkie:

Lots of love to you all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Jv & Friends  :)

i have seen your lovely CIDPs that are growing in your lovely garden...i promise to upload my babies provided you all promise me that you will not laugh seeing their sizes... :D

here is the standard fruticas type...its around 2 years old as of now !  :)

Kris, is CIDP in your climate a fast grower? It would appear they don't need heat to grow well, but they don't object either.

Was driving around the back roads of south Texas last weekend and came across a pleasant surprise.... I came across a small, small town (Sinton) that had a lot of Phoenix palms (mostly CIDP) planted throughout the town. They were all relatively the same size so one can presume they are all about the same age. I suspect someone locally was growing these palms 50 or more years ago and they ended up all over town. These phoenix have certainly been tested over the years, to include the hard freezes of 1983 and 1989. I suspect the temperature in this town went down to 10F during those years. Pictured below are the phoenix that line the streets around a school in the center of town. Enjoy, Jv

post-362-1246712268_thumb.jpg

post-362-1246712417_thumb.jpg

Dear Jv & Friends :)

i have seen your lovely CIDPs that are growing in your lovely garden...i promise to upload my babies provided you all promise me that you will not laugh seeing their sizes... :D

here is the standard fruticas type...its around 2 years old as of now ! :)

Kris, is CIDP in your climate a fast grower? It would appear they don't need heat to grow well, but they don't object either.

Dear Axel :)

Yes,i do feel that Cidp's are growing much faster than the date palms, P.sylversters & P.Rupicola's ! And i personally feel that these CIDP's are in state of confusion as to where they are growing...Since the temperature here is hot but not desert like,mild cool in winters which is usually wet.So year around they keep putting out spear after spear.Hope they do not break our compund wall,that is right behind it... :huh::lol: And the soil is clayee,but does not seem to mind at all ! :rolleyes:

And dear Jv :)

Lovely visuals as always_thanks very much ! :)

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are some recent shots taken over the weekend of the Southsea (UK) CIDP's...

04072009832.jpg

04072009836.jpg

04072009837.jpg

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Dear SouthSeaNate :)

Terrefic stills,and by all rights they must be called as jamboo...Beautiful trunk,nice leaf colour,and the leaves are closely net.

And thanks for posting those stills in big size ! :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

Kris :drool::yay:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris

Anyone send you a CIDP by movie.. :D

Do you like Phoenix dactylifera as well as I have a link on our GOTE forum here in the UK of a quite unusual one. :drool:

• Upvote 1

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

Thanks Ian for the added info. I had read about the area in the past and some literature stated that this area was referred to as the banana belt.... I guess because it has the warmest climate of the region. It made me wonder how many palms one might find there.... Jv

One finds far fewer palms there than what could be possible... that's for sure! It's a geographically isolated area with relatively low individual incomes for most people; though there are a few keen gardeners in the area, I don't know that any of them are really into palms. I can't say I've seen many palms there besides a handful each of W. robusta, P.c., Trachycarpus (which is NOT happy with their salt laden winds) and a single (unhappy) queen palm, but I haven't been there in 7 years and more may have been planted since. A lot of other interesting plants there though... like Passiflora 'Coral Seas' covering a 100' long fence, Strelitzia, Norfolk Island Pine, etc. - stuff you sure wouldn't see in Seattle.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Kris

Anyone send you a CIDP by movie.. :D

Do you like Phoenix dactylifera as well as I have a link on our GOTE forum here in the UK of a quite unusual one. :drool:

Dear Spencer :)

Thanks for that lovely video footage of such a beautiful place,with all those beauties... :drool: ...Where is that place ! looks very peaceful too.. :hmm:

And as for as video of date palms i love that too,but can you start a new thread or send that link as a PM,iam dieying to see that too.. :drool: And by the way most members who PM me call me as 'Date Palm Kris'.And most here know that iam a 'phoenix palm nut..' :blink:

Once again thanks very much for that video,And the visual-man(Me) is very happy. :lol:

Lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nate great looking CIDPs there in the UK! Very impressive indeed. I take it this part of the country gets enough warmth in the summer time for the phoenix to flourish... Jv

Nate great looking CIDPs there in the UK! Very impressive indeed. I take it this part of the country gets enough warmth in the summer time for the phoenix to flourish... Jv

I'm sure it has more to do with the absence of frost. P.c. has to be one of the most cool-tolerant palms in the world along with Trachycarpus. In the Andes, planted specimens flourish at higher altitudes than Ceroxylon does in the wild. Also I believe P.c. is thriving at Logan Botanic Gardens, Scotland.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

I think one of the reasons that the Southsea CIDP's have grown so well is due to the annual mean temperature being one of the highest in the UK. Frosts are light & short lived here & summers are warmer than much of the UK (with higher sunshine levels too). The Southsea CIDP's are the first to have been recorded as fruiting & setting viable seed in the UK as well, even the ones over 100 years old on Tresco (off the Cornish coast) don't. So while I think ultimately it is down to milder winters, the warmer summers here (by UK standards) have obviously helped them too...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Nate, certainly heat speeds them along. The high Andes probably have the benefit of greater year-round solar radiation than anywhere that most of us live, which might be considered an unfair advantage :mrlooney:

Any monthly temperature stats available for SouthSea? The mild winters sure do sound nice.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Nate, certainly heat speeds them along. The high Andes probably have the benefit of greater year-round solar radiation than anywhere that most of us live, which might be considered an unfair advantage :mrlooney:

Any monthly temperature stats available for SouthSea? The mild winters sure do sound nice.

Here are the statistics taken over the 30 year period from 1970 to 2000, though since 2000 six of the warmest years on record have been recorded & during the 1970's & 1980's some of the coldest winters were recorded, so the stats don't realy tie up with what we average out at now, but will give you some idea...

Jan: Av. High: 9C (48F) Av. Low: 5C (41F)

Feb: Av. High: 10C(50F) Av. Low: 5C (41F)

Mar: Av. High: 12C (54F) Av.Low: 6C (43F)

April: Av. High: 15C (59F) Av.Low: 8C (46F)

May: Av: High: 18C (64F) Av.Low:10C (50F)

June: Av. High: 21C (70F) Av. Low:13C (55F)

July: Av. High: 23C (73F) Av. Low:15C (59F)

Aug: Av. High: 24C (75F) Av. Low: 16C (61F)

Sep: Av. High: 20C (68F) Av. Low: 14C (57F)

Oct: Av. High: 17C (63F) Av. Low: 11C (52F)

Nov: Av. High: 14C (57F) Av. Low: 9C (48F)

Dec: Av. High: 10C (50F) Av. Low: 6C (43F)

We are normally ok if we get mainly westerly winds blowing in winter as it brings in milder air from the Atlantic, but if we get easterly winds they can drag in very cold air from Siberia & that is when we will get our coldest weather. Usually when we get a cold night the temperature the following day will not rise by much at all, similarly if we get mild air the night time temps don't drop by much from what we had during the day...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Here are the statistics taken over the 30 year period from 1970 to 2000, though since 2000 six of the warmest years on record have been recorded & during the 1970's & 1980's some of the coldest winters were recorded, so the stats don't realy tie up with what we average out at now, but will give you some idea...

Jan: Av. High: 9C (48F) Av. Low: 5C (41F)

Feb: Av. High: 10C(50F) Av. Low: 5C (41F)

Mar: Av. High: 12C (54F) Av.Low: 6C (43F)

April: Av. High: 15C (59F) Av.Low: 8C (46F)

May: Av: High: 18C (64F) Av.Low:10C (50F)

June: Av. High: 21C (70F) Av. Low:13C (55F)

July: Av. High: 23C (73F) Av. Low:15C (59F)

Aug: Av. High: 24C (75F) Av. Low: 16C (61F)

Sep: Av. High: 20C (68F) Av. Low: 14C (57F)

Oct: Av. High: 17C (63F) Av. Low: 11C (52F)

Nov: Av. High: 14C (57F) Av. Low: 9C (48F)

Dec: Av. High: 10C (50F) Av. Low: 6C (43F)

We are normally ok if we get mainly westerly winds blowing in winter as it brings in milder air from the Atlantic, but if we get easterly winds they can drag in very cold air from Siberia & that is when we will get our coldest weather. Usually when we get a cold night the temperature the following day will not rise by much at all, similarly if we get mild air the night time temps don't drop by much from what we had during the day...

Looks like an agreeable climate for sure, nice warm nights in summer too. It's milder at night than where I live, year round.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Yes, our climate is quite unique here as Portsmouth is situated on an Island & is also the second most densely populated city in the UK, after London. So we do get fairly high night time lows in the summer months, similar to London, which generally is warmer than any part of the UK during summer...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

4 a lot of seeds :)

That has to be the best looking CIDP that I have ever seen and we have a lot of them in CA. The red dates really set it off. How do they taste ?

• Upvote 1

A picture of the CIDPs at my daughter's apartment complex in Houston.... Jv

post-362-1248479104_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Justin, like the way that CIDP is sandwiched in between those two Dactylifera's ! Nice view! Jv