IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So what's it like to be the owner of over 100 royal palms?

redant

Insane, really have to love palms to own this many beast. Just a fraction of the population. This area is the lowest, wettest part of my yard, a perfect place for them.

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

Edited by redant
  • Like 25
  • Upvote 8

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

What are those Pines doing mixed in? You’re not dedicated enough. Kidding, the yard is gorgeous. Maybe one day, with the right piece of property I’ll have something similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

What are those Pines doing mixed in? You’re not dedicated enough. Kidding, the yard is gorgeous. Maybe one day, with the right piece of property I’ll have something similar.

My wife loves the pines, of course she's not picking up the pine cones.

Jupiter FL

The Horror.....( apologies  stealing a line from Apocalypse Now )
And to @DoomsDave for stealing his pic.
And us Carpy growers thought we have frond issues.....mate, you're going to need a Quad Road Train side tipper combo to deal with the fronds....lol !https://www.trailermag.com.au/featured/article/bres-new-quad-side-tipper-road-train
5F43054F-6BBB-4AB4-87F9-445708EC7F1C.jpeg.eb7b810929e54d3cf387cd735c2f9792.thumb.jpeg.ab02df71ab30329e8af6835da8e3bc4c.jpeg
But seriously... love your garden !!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@redant They look awesome, as does everything else!  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

27 minutes ago, donalt said:

beautiful property ! you should hold tours (I'd visit!)!

I agree , I'd pay to take a tour =) First pic is an Attalea off to the left correct ? 

• Like 3

T J 

Well, mate, if you're ever up this way, give me a shout!

I've given lots of tours.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, greysrigging said:

The Horror.....( apologies  stealing a line from Apocalypse Now )
And to @DoomsDave for stealing his pic.
And us Carpy growers thought we have frond issues.....mate, you're going to need a Quad Road Train side tipper combo to deal with the fronds....lol !https://www.trailermag.com.au/featured/article/bres-new-quad-side-tipper-road-train
5F43054F-6BBB-4AB4-87F9-445708EC7F1C.jpeg.eb7b810929e54d3cf387cd735c2f9792.thumb.jpeg.ab02df71ab30329e8af6835da8e3bc4c.jpeg
But seriously... love your garden !!

Well mate, if you're ever up this way, gimme a shout!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

29 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I agree , I'd pay to take a tour =) First pic is an Attalea off to the left correct ? 

correct, the picture doesn't do it justice. The trunk (or where a trunk should be by now) is massive, the Syagrus botryophora to the right of it, can't see the crown give some idea of how tall it is. To the right of that is my spottle (or so it's suppose to be)  I have had a few palmtalk people here before., most are now growing some of my palms.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

Ill definitely try to see your garden one day =) That Attalea is just awesome :drool:

T J 

5 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Ill definitely try to see your garden one day =) That Attalea is just awesome :drool:

Any time your in FL your welcome to a tour. The last couple to visit where from the Netherlands. 

Jupiter FL

Here's a good guessing game, the two palms on the edge of the picture, furthest left and right. ?

IMG_6402.jpg

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

A truly beautiful tropical garden. Looks very peaceful. (Until BOOM.....a royal frond crashes down).

• Like 1

So Doug - how do you manage your old fronds - pile them on site, or take them away? I just had to start a new "mountain," as the old ones aren't shrinking as quickly as I'm piling.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

11 hours ago, The Gerg said:

A truly beautiful tropical garden. Looks very peaceful. (Until BOOM.....a royal frond crashes down).

We spend a lot of time on our porch, they certainly make there presence known when they come down. 

Jupiter FL

6 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

So Doug - how do you manage your old fronds - pile them on site, or take them away? I just had to start a new "mountain," as the old ones aren't shrinking as quickly as I'm piling.

My property is about 800 ft deep from the road, house about midway. All the fronds from the front go curbside and get picked up by our waste company (they probably hate me). The ones in the back I pile up and burn. I use a Sawzall to remove the crown from the frond as they dry so much slower and burn what's dry at the time.  It gets tough when the rainy season starts.

Jupiter FL

12 hours ago, redant said:

Here's a good guessing game, the two palms on the edge of the picture, furthest left and right. ?

Dypsis lanceolata?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Dypsis lanceolata?

Good guess by the trunks, now start thinking way more tropical. You can see the fronds on the one on the left.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

Love the Lost World jungle look. Five royals are enough for me, including my lovely violacea.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Love the Lost World jungle look. Five royals are enough for me, including my lovely violacea.

50 Probably would have been enough for me. :rolleyes:

Jupiter FL

On 6/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, redant said:

Insane, really have to love palms to own this many beast. Just a fraction of the population. This area is the lowest, wettest part of my yard, a perfect place for them.

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

This is stupid!

Ya know... in the complimentary way haha

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

This is stupid!

Ya know... in the complimentary way haha

My wife agrees lol.

Jupiter FL

Oh

my

gahd 

Becky

look at their trunks !!!!

they’re just so BIG so ENORMOUS 

“I like big trunks and I cannot lie . . .”

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Well that's just gorgeous! Truly magnificent. 

But I'm glad I'm not the caretaker! :lol:

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, Dypsisdean said:

Oh OH.... that's one of those questions that is asked from time to time of the dedicated palm enthusiast.... we have difficulty in answering truthfully and lie awake at night pondering how on earth we are gunna deal with them... my trucks and trailers have done thousands of trips to our local green waste dump ( luckily its free in Darwin ) and I still have mountains of them....
'Don't ask don't tell'.....lol !

17039190_1618415811508515_4047539212863473740_o.jpg

18033443_1674626269220802_5875249231567289138_n.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kim said:

Well that's just gorgeous! Truly magnificent. 

But I'm glad I'm not the caretaker! :lol:

One should not be scared of physical activity :rolleyes:  Once in a blue moon my wife help out, she doesn't last long.

Jupiter FL

3 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Oh OH.... that's one of those questions that is asked from time to time of the dedicated palm enthusiast.... we have difficulty in answering truthfully and lie awake at night pondering how on earth we are gunna deal with them... my trucks and trailers have done thousands of trips to our local green waste dump ( luckily its free in Darwin ) and I still have mountains of them....
'Don't ask don't tell'.....lol !

17039190_1618415811508515_4047539212863473740_o.jpg

18033443_1674626269220802_5875249231567289138_n.jpg

I have a 12ft trailer I can drag to the back behind an ATV when things just get to wet to burn.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

This is a gorgeous tropical rainforest for sure.  I have lived in a number of houses and planted ~500 trees myself, when I was young it didnt phase me.  At my age, that looks like ALOT of work with possibly a tractor, chainsaws, sawzalls, all kinds of tools, and lots of energy.  I do think just being out and taking care of a garden is therapeutic, much healthier than sitting around.  But there are limits for me.  As the palms grow bigger the work increases.  Fortunately the royals self shed...  I do not envy the workload of maintaining it. 

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

On 6/1/2020 at 12:23 PM, redant said:

IMG_6402.jpg

Every time I see your jungle, the more in awe I am!  The time, years of growth and dedication is just awesome, thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 9:04 PM, redant said:

IMG_6402.jpg

So due to the lack of guesses :floor: The two palms are Areca catechu, been in the ground since 2011. I had another in the ground that croaked in the 2009/2010 cold. Really hope they fruit before the next big cold snap.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

2 hours ago, redant said:

So due to the lack of guesses :floor: The two palms are Areca catechu, been in the ground since 2011. I had another in the ground that croaked in the 2009/2010 cold. Really hope they fruit before the next big cold snap.

I was too busy drooling over the palms to notice the pop quiz.   :yay:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, 96720 said:

That’s a great looking jungle!!! How much land do you have?

Thank you, 2.5 acres

Jupiter FL

2 hours ago, hbernstein said:

100 Royals = 100 - 200 fallen leaves, every week! That's insane!

Keeps you on your toes.  "Heads up!"

• Like 1

Jon Sunder