IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal palm drops a biggie

DoomsDave

Leaf that is 

This is Spanky one of my monster royals.

EDC23315-83C1-4D46-844C-3836840EAB6B.thumb.jpeg.7c5129b943701c31da64654c9ead8cec.jpeg

• Like 6

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And one of its leaves crashed to the ground 

5F43054F-6BBB-4AB4-87F9-445708EC7F1C.thumb.jpeg.23e2ed5186ea633b6d163355df2c56e3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

But not as bad as feared 

679B6945-F0CF-4EE3-9E5D-52E0F0D6A4A3.thumb.jpeg.7d821c63d4b3e47a65c30b9b847a081c.jpeg

C0ACA172-747F-4D57-A2DE-86C53DAC123A.thumb.jpeg.2cb0f8b978d176991a4f0920c86e722d.jpeg

• Like 2

Roystonea can be managed 

I dont grow nonexpendables under my royals.  A few months back a leaf snapped in 60+ mph wind.  Later the crown shaft came down, thump!  the crownshaft was probably nearly 3 0 lbs and not quite 6' long(I am 6').  We have two royals and know then the leaves are starting to brown out, something big will fall.  I have planned a few palms nearby in the walkways that will break the fall of royal leaves over the walkways.  You could use an arbor or other structure as well.  Generally the crownshafts fall near the tree within a few feet.

bigcrownshaft.jpg

• Upvote 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We leave a large circle of open space underneath each of our royals. However, falling fronds hit our metal roof every once in a while. About 3-4 hit the roof during Hurricane Irma. Fortunately, metal roofs handle palm fronds with scarcely a shrug.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Great landing Dave At the SD Zoo they tie them at the top so they won't fall and hurt anyone .then they lower them down its extra work but worth the risk of denting someone's head lol

• Like 2

Most of the visitors to my garden have been pre-screened as hard-headed.

HAR HAR HAR.

Come visit, look up, don't worry.

• Like 3

My son is a ham radio enthusiast..... 4 or 5 months ago he went to all this trouble putting up some elaborate diapole antenna system using my tallest front yard palms as anchor points and pulleys and ropes to raise and lower it. Fine wire so it can be barely seen from below.
I did tell him it was not an ideal location due to the Royals, and sure enough a frond similar in size to the one pictured has fallen and taken out the antenna......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got over 100 of those beasts, Dragging palm fronds to the front for pickup keeps me lean lol.

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

23 minutes ago, redant said:

Got over 100 of those beasts, Dragging palm fronds to the front for pickup keeps me lean lol.

Holy COW, BULL, CALVES, ETC.

That's a lot of leaves.

Do post a picture?

Sometimes here in California the winds can knock those heavy leaves to places you don't expect. Which is why a number of our esteemed palm talkers removed royals after they started to get large.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:14 PM, DoomsDave said:

Most of the visitors to my garden have been pre-screened as hard-headed.

I passed Dave's "hard-head" criteria so I was able to visit!  :P  He's got some awesome palm beasts like Spanky!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

56 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I passed Dave's "hard-head" criteria so I was able to visit!  :P  He's got some awesome palm beasts like Spanky!

Do come again when y'all can, you hear?

Getting lonely up on the hill of palms.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Sometimes here in California the winds can knock those heavy leaves to places you don't expect. Which is why a number of our esteemed palm talkers removed royals after they started to get large.

And collateral damage below.