DoomsDave

Royal palm drops a biggie

DoomsDave

Leaf that is 

This is Spanky one of my monster royals.

EDC23315-83C1-4D46-844C-3836840EAB6B.thumb.jpeg.7c5129b943701c31da64654c9ead8cec.jpeg

• Like 6

DoomsDave

And one of its leaves crashed to the ground 

5F43054F-6BBB-4AB4-87F9-445708EC7F1C.thumb.jpeg.23e2ed5186ea633b6d163355df2c56e3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

But not as bad as feared 

679B6945-F0CF-4EE3-9E5D-52E0F0D6A4A3.thumb.jpeg.7d821c63d4b3e47a65c30b9b847a081c.jpeg

C0ACA172-747F-4D57-A2DE-86C53DAC123A.thumb.jpeg.2cb0f8b978d176991a4f0920c86e722d.jpeg

• Like 2

Palm Tree Jim

Luck of the DD garden!

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Roystonea can be managed 

sonoranfans

I dont grow nonexpendables under my royals.  A few months back a leaf snapped in 60+ mph wind.  Later the crown shaft came down, thump!  the crownshaft was probably nearly 3 0 lbs and not quite 6' long(I am 6').  We have two royals and know then the leaves are starting to brown out, something big will fall.  I have planned a few palms nearby in the walkways that will break the fall of royal leaves over the walkways.  You could use an arbor or other structure as well.  Generally the crownshafts fall near the tree within a few feet.

bigcrownshaft.jpg

• Upvote 2

PalmatierMeg

We leave a large circle of open space underneath each of our royals. However, falling fronds hit our metal roof every once in a while. About 3-4 hit the roof during Hurricane Irma. Fortunately, metal roofs handle palm fronds with scarcely a shrug.

• Like 1

akamu

Great landing Dave At the SD Zoo they tie them at the top so they won't fall and hurt anyone .then they lower them down its extra work but worth the risk of denting someone's head lol

• Like 2

DoomsDave

Most of the visitors to my garden have been pre-screened as hard-headed.

HAR HAR HAR.

Come visit, look up, don't worry.

• Like 3

greysrigging

My son is a ham radio enthusiast..... 4 or 5 months ago he went to all this trouble putting up some elaborate diapole antenna system using my tallest front yard palms as anchor points and pulleys and ropes to raise and lower it. Fine wire so it can be barely seen from below.
I did tell him it was not an ideal location due to the Royals, and sure enough a frond similar in size to the one pictured has fallen and taken out the antenna......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

redant

Got over 100 of those beasts, Dragging palm fronds to the front for pickup keeps me lean lol.

• Like 2

DoomsDave
23 minutes ago, redant said:

Got over 100 of those beasts, Dragging palm fronds to the front for pickup keeps me lean lol.

Holy COW, BULL, CALVES, ETC.

That's a lot of leaves.

Do post a picture?

DoomsDave

Sometimes here in California the winds can knock those heavy leaves to places you don't expect. Which is why a number of our esteemed palm talkers removed royals after they started to get large.

• Like 1

Fusca
On 5/30/2020 at 10:14 PM, DoomsDave said:

Most of the visitors to my garden have been pre-screened as hard-headed.

I passed Dave's "hard-head" criteria so I was able to visit!  :P  He's got some awesome palm beasts like Spanky!

• Like 1

DoomsDave
56 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I passed Dave's "hard-head" criteria so I was able to visit!  :P  He's got some awesome palm beasts like Spanky!

Do come again when y'all can, you hear?

Getting lonely up on the hill of palms.

Palm Tree Jim
2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Sometimes here in California the winds can knock those heavy leaves to places you don't expect. Which is why a number of our esteemed palm talkers removed royals after they started to get large.

And collateral damage below.