IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Chambeys are American made

DoomsDave

One of my favorite favorites among favorites is a mature Chambeyronia macrocarpa I planted from a 32 gallon garbage can in May of 2003. 

It hit puberty a while back and some of the seeds are finally maturing. It’s about 30 feet tall overall and obscenely green and fat and gorgeous.

The new leaves are salmon pink. Yowza.

D5AFA39B-F5F0-4619-A0B2-A7BEDCB7FFBF.thumb.jpeg.587063cc4824ab862dd38745317ca631.jpeg

76D368B6-EC29-422A-B73F-B9C5F82F7F3D.thumb.jpeg.aa5d4391c57e3af9808bc840a9244d8d.jpeg

1AEAC4A9-A36C-421D-842D-0ABED9CF65BD.thumb.jpeg.9f857ee094e4b042924ffb77338fbe91.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Congratulations...Cigars are in order!

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Puff puff hack hooey !

Maybe some good wine instead?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

One of my favorite favorites among favorites is a mature Chambeyronia macrocarpa I planted from a 32 gallon garbage can in May of 2003.

It hit puberty a while back and some of the seeds are finally maturing. It’s about 30 feet tall overall and obscenely green and fat and gorgeous.

The new leaves are salmon pink. Yowza.

Fantastic palm and the pitter patter of little seeds.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Here’s a view from the street.

DF6B6BDE-DCBE-4A36-B48A-86DD6E3EC100.thumb.jpeg.39f15fa9382dc3ad88b0a61d19ec593f.jpeg

2A8E094A-F085-4BEA-B1C7-50C103E0F3D2.thumb.jpeg.07a6499dc6d52a3926dd7299b61cb57c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The seeds took about two years to ripen fully but they’re easy to germinate.

Wowee what a palm! Impressive and salmon pink new leaves sound too! 

I’ve got a few I’ve grown from seed - though doubt I’ll get them to fruiting size where I am - still a joy to grow.

• Upvote 1

Wow!  So beautiful, thank for sharing how long it took to 'grow up'.  Your palm is obviously in a happy place and well cared for.  Can you please help me figure out why mine look so bad, see photos. Mine lived in a pot too long, now in ground for five years.  I was unable to improve the heavy clay (large hole dug did not drain completely for over 24 hrs) due to construction haste.  It throws out leaves regularly (two emerging now).  But, the leaves get yellow then necrotic tips very fast.  See photos.  I have fertilized with palm specific fertilizer and extra K and Mg.  The palm is in full sun 400 yards from the Pacific in N. San Diego County.  IThe soil is usually moist to wet.  I was told by the grower that they love water.  Am I overwatering?  under? over fertilizing  in setting of clay?   Under?   The Rhaphis excelsa under it is green and happy.

Appreciate help!

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, majacquin said:

Wow!  So beautiful, thank for sharing how long it took to 'grow up'.  Your palm is obviously in a happy place and well cared for.  Can you please help me figure out why mine look so bad, see photos. Mine lived in a pot too long, now in ground for five years.  I was unable to improve the heavy clay (large hole dug did not drain completely for over 24 hrs) due to construction haste.  It throws out leaves regularly (two emerging now).  But, the leaves get yellow then necrotic tips very fast.  See photos.  I have fertilized with palm specific fertilizer and extra K and Mg.  The palm is in full sun 400 yards from the Pacific in N. San Diego County.  IThe soil is usually moist to wet.  I was told by the grower that they love water.  Am I overwatering?  under? over fertilizing  in setting of clay?   Under?   The Rhaphis excelsa under it is green and happy.

Appreciate help!

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Looks like you might have salt tip burn on the leaves.  Not sure what to do about that. You're in a perfect spot!

• Like 1

Thanks!  It certainly wants to grow here.  Two leaves emerging.  It is probably the bad drainage.  Intermittent watering by flooding would not leach the salts since it drains poorly, I suppose.   I will back off on the fertilizer.  Wish I had a large capacity reverse osmosis water system.   Appreciate the kind support.    IMG_1645.thumb.jpg.9dbfec0f08b4585b52587794a91933ce.jpg

• Like 1