• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canary Island date palm size

Coasta

hello everyone! Just had a question. I have had this canary island date palm in the ground for about a year and a half. It seems to be growing pretty slow as the trunk hasn't expanded a whole lot and the leaves don't seem to be getting longer. I do fertilize it and water it a few times a week. Any idea orare they this slow when they are small?

Also I notice that at some nurseries I go to the fronds are way longer than what mine are (45 inches), with about the same size trunk. Does this mean my canary island date palm won't have those awesome super long green fronds and they will be shorter? 

20200529_122835.jpg

• Like 1

Hello! Well, Canary Island Date Palms by definition are slow growers. Not super slow like Trachycarpus, but still slow like Beccariophoenix alfredii palms.

The reason its leaves are shorter than the ones in the nursery is because yours is under full sun.  Its leaves will grow longer once it is fully acclimated.

Don't forget to water it often.

And congrats on a very beautiful palm.

Alex

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hello! Well, Canary Island Date Palms by definition are slow growers. Not super slow like Trachycarpus, but still slow like Beccariophoenix alfredii palms.

The reason its leaves are shorter than the ones in the nursery is because yours is under full sun.  Its leaves will grow longer once it is fully acclimated.

Alex

Thanks so much Alex!! That makes sense now and puts my mind at ease! I love the nice long fronds on canary island date palms. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Alex

Trachycarpus is very fast growing palm. At least is here. 

CIDP are also not that slow. Give them regular water and they will grow very fast. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mine is about that size and steadily pushed new growth through the winter months and even more so now.  Once they start trunking they pick up even more speed.

Jon Sunder

21 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Alex

Slow can mean a lot of things i guess. this one was planted as a 1 foot plant or so and has been in the ground for 3-4 years. to me that is really fast, maybe we are in the perfect climate to grow CIDPs?

IMG_20200131_131633147_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/30/2020 at 7:06 AM, Cikas said:

Trachycarpus is very fast growing palm. At least is here. 

CIDP are also not that slow. Give them regular water and they will grow very fast. 

Awesome :). I built a better berm around it and have been soaking it. Hopefully it starts to speed up :) thank you!

• 2 years later...
On 5/30/2020 at 3:08 PM, Palmfarmer said:

Slow can mean a lot of things i guess. this one was planted as a 1 foot plant or so and has been in the ground for 3-4 years. to me that is really fast, maybe we are in the perfect climate to grow CIDPs?

IMG_20200131_131633147_HDR.jpg

That's incredible.  I hope mine do half that!

• Upvote 1

I threw some seeds in my yard and they did sprout and start getting big pretty fast where I had to remove some of them within a few years.  If you use good soil and spread compost or manure around the base it should grow at a decent pace but in general is a slow grower.  They are such a beautiful palm and are in general really easy to grow unless you just happen to be in Southern California where we have a new pest that is destroying the majority of them.  The South American palm weevil is now in Southern California and makes it a nightmare to treat the larger ones but you can treat smaller ones pretty easy yourself by spraying imidacloprid in the crown and by doing a soil drench through the base.

th-4087485272.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

• Like 1