NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Growing Spanish Moss in the NC Piedmont

knikfar
On 5/20/2021 at 11:26 PM, courmike said:

I live in Atlanta proper and I have Spanish moss growing well. I have about 6 huge Camellia bushes that are tree sized(14ft). I put the moss in them. The birds can't land on the limbs because the are too soft and it is doing great after two years. Atlanta is actually 8b though. We don't get snow and ice often at all...don't know why people keep saying that. Pretty close to Atlanta's northern borders in the foothills is where it gets colder.

Atlanta, and its metro area, are located in zones 7b and 8a, per the USDA hardiness zone map. You can look it up here: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/. This is why people keep saying that. I lived in Atlanta from 2002 until 2009 and during that time, there was atleast one snow and/or ice event each winter. It was never a lot of ice/snow but it doesn't take much ice or snow to damage plants. 

• Upvote 1

Cupguy

There is Spanish moss growing wild in Landsford Canal State Park in S.C. about 35 miles south of Charlotte.  I saw some about 7 or 8 years ago growing on a large pine limb which had broken off beside the river.  A couple of years later I noticed some more growing in a small area in the woods on the opposite side of the trail from the river.  I asked the park ranger about it and he said they believe hurricane Hugo may have brought it in back in 1989.

• Like 2

NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Update:

Unfortunately the birds took about 75% of the original spanish moss I put out last year.  What was left survived the winter no problem, though.  Today I replenished the crape myrtle with some more moss that I collected recently in Savannah, GA,  but this time I used larger clumps and zip ties to secure them to the tree.  Hopefully that will prevent the birds from taking as much of it this time around. 

spanishmoss.thumb.jpg.998cb8d3c329625254cc40e5f311f2bd.jpg

CrazyAsianLady

Question: do I have too"winterize" my Spanish moss? I live in northeastern NC. My Spanish moss is from Florida, but it's been growing great. Also, it's in a tree that will be losing it's leaves in the winter. Will this be a problem? Thank you