IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing Spanish Moss in the NC Piedmont

NCFM

On 5/20/2021 at 11:26 PM, courmike said:

I live in Atlanta proper and I have Spanish moss growing well. I have about 6 huge Camellia bushes that are tree sized(14ft). I put the moss in them. The birds can't land on the limbs because the are too soft and it is doing great after two years. Atlanta is actually 8b though. We don't get snow and ice often at all...don't know why people keep saying that. Pretty close to Atlanta's northern borders in the foothills is where it gets colder.

Atlanta, and its metro area, are located in zones 7b and 8a, per the USDA hardiness zone map. You can look it up here: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/. This is why people keep saying that. I lived in Atlanta from 2002 until 2009 and during that time, there was atleast one snow and/or ice event each winter. It was never a lot of ice/snow but it doesn't take much ice or snow to damage plants. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is Spanish moss growing wild in Landsford Canal State Park in S.C. about 35 miles south of Charlotte.  I saw some about 7 or 8 years ago growing on a large pine limb which had broken off beside the river.  A couple of years later I noticed some more growing in a small area in the woods on the opposite side of the trail from the river.  I asked the park ranger about it and he said they believe hurricane Hugo may have brought it in back in 1989.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Unfortunately the birds took about 75% of the original spanish moss I put out last year.  What was left survived the winter no problem, though.  Today I replenished the crape myrtle with some more moss that I collected recently in Savannah, GA,  but this time I used larger clumps and zip ties to secure them to the tree.  Hopefully that will prevent the birds from taking as much of it this time around. 

spanishmoss.thumb.jpg.998cb8d3c329625254cc40e5f311f2bd.jpg

• 2 months later...

Question: do I have too"winterize" my Spanish moss? I live in northeastern NC. My Spanish moss is from Florida, but it's been growing great. Also, it's in a tree that will be losing it's leaves in the winter. Will this be a problem? Thank you

• 1 year later...

From my yard in Western NY… two pictures of moss in a red maple and also my perennial basjoo bananas that come up every year with NO winter protection! Zone 5 😲

70647448803__6530E9CB-3084-49C1-981C-38A5F50D010C.jpeg

70647452047__472A1AB8-17EF-4504-B4A6-D4D970AA706A.jpeg

70648133827__B89DF6B7-8E21-4023-A50B-2C44C37FEC1D.jpeg

• Like 1

Spanish moss needs to be watered. Where it grows naturally, there is high RH and the plant gets moisture every night.

We get heavy dew each night. Plus even in Florida the RH is low in winter in many places. It’s doing well… 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 7:55 AM, SeanK said:

Spanish moss needs to be watered. Where it grows naturally, there is high RH and the plant gets moisture every night.

I'm in Raleigh, NC. Probably similar humidity to Atlanta. I've been growing lots of spanish moss in my trees for the past three years. I'll point the hose at some of the clumps if I happen to be watering something nearby. But for the most part, they live, and seem to thrive, on rain water and humidity in the air.