Jump to content
HeroLite

Free Areca palm seeds fresh off the trees

Recommended Posts

HeroLite

Aloha! I have a ton of areca palm seeds in my neighborhood that are yellow to red on trees if anyone wants them.  Happy to ship for the cost of shipping.  I can put them in baggies with a little spag moss to ensure moisture or leave them in the fruit if you prefer. Let me know in the next week or so while the picking is good. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
13 hours ago, HeroLite said:

Aloha! I have a ton of areca palm seeds in my neighborhood that are yellow to red on trees if anyone wants them.  Happy to ship for the cost of shipping.  I can put them in baggies with a little spag moss to ensure moisture or leave them in the fruit if you prefer. Let me know in the next week or so while the picking is good. 

 

 

Welcome to PT !!! For your first post offering free seeds is amazing :greenthumb: Do you know which Areca spp you have collected ? Or are you talking about Dypsis Lutescens ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt

@HeroLite  swell offer man, thanks from everyone! ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeroLite
2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Welcome to PT !!! For your first post offering free seeds is amazing :greenthumb: Do you know which Areca spp you have collected ? Or are you talking about Dypsis Lutescens ? 

Thanks for the welcome! 
I believe I've been collecting Dypsis Lutescens and my first batch had about a 50% germination rate (lost some to overly damp soil).  I'm going out again tomorrow to collect as many seeds as I can while all the trees are pushing out fruit.  

I've been reading through the forums and online media quite a lot over the last few months and I think I could identify a few other species of palm if someone has a particular request. That said I know I can collect quite a few Dypsis Lutescens seeds at orange to red fruiting stages. So i'm happy to pass those along rather than see them fall to their doom. 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg
16 hours ago, HeroLite said:

Aloha! I have a ton of areca palm seeds in my neighborhood that are yellow to red on trees if anyone wants them.  Happy to ship for the cost of shipping.  I can put them in baggies with a little spag moss to ensure moisture or leave them in the fruit if you prefer. Let me know in the next week or so while the picking is good. 

 

 

Welcome to PalmTalk and thanks for your generous offer. May I ask what species you mean by "areca" seeds? Do you mean Dypsis lutescens, the Golden Cane Palm? Or do you mean seeds from palms of the Areca genus? If the Areca genus, do you know what species? Dypsis and Areca genera are from different parts of the world but both grow well in HI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeroLite
2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome to PalmTalk and thanks for your generous offer. May I ask what species you mean by "areca" seeds? Do you mean Dypsis lutescens, the Golden Cane Palm? Or do you mean seeds from palms of the Areca genus? If the Areca genus, do you know what species? Dypsis and Areca genera are from different parts of the world but both grow well in HI.

I'll have to submit some pictures for you to help me be certain but I believe it is the Dypsis lutescens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
4 hours ago, HeroLite said:

That said I know I can collect quite a few Dypsis Lutescens seeds at orange to red fruiting stages.

Pics will definitely help.  I've only seen Dypsis lutescens fruits yellow or black rather than orange or red so might be something else like Areca or Ptychosperma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeroLite

Pictures of the trees and seeds from yesterday. Seeds from three of the trees, 25 or so yellow, 100+ red and 100+ deep red.

Help identifying the exact type of palm would be appreciated.

IMG_20200531_063635_MP.jpg

IMG_20200530_142234_MP.jpg

IMG_20200530_142552_MP.jpg

IMG_20200530_142253_MP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
1 hour ago, HeroLite said:

Pictures of the trees and seeds from yesterday. Seeds from three of the trees, 25 or so yellow, 100+ red and 100+ deep red.

Help identifying the exact type of palm would be appreciated.

As I suspected it is Ptychosperma.  Perhaps Ptychosperma macarthurii.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeroLite
49 minutes ago, Fusca said:

As I suspected it is Ptychosperma.  Perhaps Ptychosperma macarthurii.

Thank you for clearing that up. Very much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
6 hours ago, Fusca said:

As I suspected it is Ptychosperma.  Perhaps Ptychosperma macarthurii.

count me in then =) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jimmyt

Hey JJ,

    On your seed offer.  Don't you have to get them inspected/cleared by the Hawaiian Ag Dept before you can send them?  I was wondering if they would let you send them with the pulp still on the seed.  Maybe I am wrong.   Anyway set me up for some.  PM me details on where and how much money to send you. 

thanks,

jimmyt

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...