IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Utilis

colin Peters

Got these from floribunda about 3 yrs ago as 1 gallons.  Super fast here. In rich, black volcanic clay. Great privacy screen. Why

plant D. lutecens when you can use these. Nice hairy trunks with, and new red leaves.  Have bifurcated into many trunks so there

is pretty much always an new red leaf. aloha Had lots of Areca macrocaylx seedlings, so put them in spaces for the heck of it. 

aloha

IMG_4903 2.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

As you can see pretty dry at our end Kuliouou valley, but wet mesic rainforest at top of valley.  Home of Pritchardia bakeri, and marti . Have heard from the elders that  there is an underground 

"steam" down middle of valley, so lots of big mango trees around, and the valley floor stays much greener, and has deep soil verses sides that are rocky.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Man they love that Hawaii magic. Mine was planted like 6 years ago as a liner and is only about 2 feet tall now. Yours looks great 

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

20 hours ago, colin Peters said:

Got these from floribunda about 3 yrs ago as 1 gallons.  Super fast here. In rich, black volcanic clay. Great privacy screen. Why

plant D. lutecens when you can use these. Nice hairy trunks with, and new red leaves.  Have bifurcated into many trunks so there

is pretty much always an new red leaf.

Good call Colin!  I have a close cousin planted in my yard, Dypsis crinita.  My D lutescens always have browning leaftips on the lower retained leaves and look ratty.  Meanwhile the D crinita always looks much better, has the plus of a colorful liver colored and sometimes red emerging leaves (not as red as your D utilis).  Mine has bifurcated twice, meaning first it split into two growth points and those then split resulting in 4 growth points.  All the D lutescens in the tropics look much better than mine do here, but given how crinita and some other perform here I always advise looking at some of the alternative clumping Dypsis when talking to people about palms for screening.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I believe this is an amazing palm. I live in a higher elevation in mountain view Hi and it is doing great however the moss loves the hair

20200529_070205.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

These are great palms . All 3 of these crinitia, utiliis  and pusilla   can eventually branch like some of the  hyphaene. I heard Jeff Marcus has one with 5 heads. Probably never see this on my slow as molasses D. crinitia but it sure would be cool 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Steve, Tracy, I think I will just suggest these as screens instead of D. lutecens. Pretty much win, win.  I planted some fibrosa (from 15 gallons, from Bill Austin) at a clients,  close to the beach and salt. In junk coral laden soil. so that is a positive here. And they are growing really well, with crazy red new leaves. 

Looking good John, nice new leaf. 

Akamu here is a shot of my D. pusilla. Its small, but from a seedling from J. Marcus., has a pinkish new leaf which is kinda cool. Neovietchia stork trunk in background.  Pusilla is pretty slow in its mostly shade spot. 

aloha

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akamu said:

my slow as molasses D. crinitia but it sure would be cool 

That is surprising to me Adam.  I'll have to look up photos of mine when I planted it and now, but it's been a good grower for me in Leucadia.  It gets am through mid-day full sun and then filtered in the late afternoons now.  It got more sun when smaller but some other things are growing up to it's west.  What sort of light is yours growing in?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

12 minutes ago, Tracy said:

That is surprising to me Adam.  I'll have to look up photos of mine when I planted it and now, but it's been a good grower for me in Leucadia.  It gets am through mid-day full sun and then filtered in the late afternoons now.  It got more sun when smaller but some other things are growing up to it's west.  What sort of light is yours growing in?

The dypsis crinitia was a challenged plant when I got it stilt rooting out of the pot and rootbound but it's coming around growing in deep shade 8miles inland. I read dypsis utilis is a faster growing species. Now I just need to get one in the ground 

• Like 1

Mine is very slow in shade, in my highland garden.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

They’ll grow here too out of the sun and  wind

plenty of heat water 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, colin Peters said:

is pretty much always an new red leaf. aloha Had lots of Areca macrocaylx seedlings, so put them in spaces for the heck of it. 

aloha

IMG_4903 2.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

Really lovin' it in your dry climate.  Much like mine here in upper Wai`anae Valley.  Will be getting 17 1 gallon palms from Florabunda next week.  Once this crazy C-19 thing passes we need to get all the O`ahu palm lovers together and show off our gardens.  Wai`anae Steve here.

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL