IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Digging and potting young Rhopie baueri

DoomsDave

I’m going to edit my garden and I’d like to hear from anyone who’s dig and potted young un-trunked Rhopalistylus baueri.

Yes, no , maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yep it can be done.The smaller the palm the easier obviously. 
When ever I transplant nikau from out of the ground  I'd   start digging a circular hole  around  the base  say about 2 feet away and around 2 feet deep or so. Then taper inwards so you can kind of pop out from under if that makes sense.

And  I always  leave the whole root ball and the soil with it together.
Hope this helps.

Well it's not trunking yet, so that is a good thing. That saxophone root can go way down underground. I have failed at moving a non trunking sapida because I put the shovel through the growing point underground.:( Lesson learned.

So, if it's a choice of taking too it with an axe, or giving it a shot at life, I would give it a shot at life. I would be prepared to dig a wide deep section of soil out, maybe 3 times deeper than you would think necessary to miss that underground saxophone thing. Hit that and it's all over. Then maybe get some lifting equipment to help. If it's a tight spot maybe use a hydraulic engine crane to lift it. The good thing about them is you can assemble them in the spot and don't have to drag a heavy wide assembled contraption down a delicate narrow jungle path destroying everything as you go. Once out of the hole, you can rap it up, maybe use a skateboard to push him along. Something like that. Definitely worth trying. Do you have a picture?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Alas, looks like I'll have to pull out the Editing Machete. :badday:

This is a baueri, but I won't be able to dig big holes.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Successfully transplanted my Chatham Island sapida.  It now has 3’ of trunk.  Didn’t have a huge rootball to it at the time.  When it was dug out, it was 3-4’ tall.

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

14 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Alas, looks like I'll have to pull out the Editing Machete. :badday:

This is a baueri, but I won't be able to dig big holes.

How big is it Dave? Can anyone lend a hand. If I was closer I would, but I can't even get out of the state let alone the country at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks @Tyrone, you're the best!

The problem is that there's too many too close together, and I'm going to have to thin the herd, alas. There's no way I'm going to be able to dig the kind of holes recommended, which I was afraid of.

Thanks to all for your input.

I'm going to post some pictures, for more thoughts.

Whack it, Dave.  Mature gardens require brutal editing.   I removed a nikau with 14 feet of trunk a few months ago,  solely for landscape design improvement.   

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Thanks @Tyrone, you're the best!

The problem is that there's too many too close together, and I'm going to have to thin the herd, alas. There's no way I'm going to be able to dig the kind of holes recommended, which I was afraid of.

Thanks to all for your input.

I'm going to post some pictures, for more thoughts.

Come'on Dave, give it a chance.  Explain to it what you are going to try and it will at least appreciate your good intentions.:D  You never know what might happen.  I tried transplanting a baueri that was doing well in it's old spot, but was going to be in the way when I was remodeling the house 6 years ago.  It didn't survive, but I did have success with a couple of other palms I transplanted at the same time (D lanceolata, H belmoreana and B hapala).  Even if the odds are low, it is worth a try imo.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Herself a pic of the situation.

Two baueri types too close together.

I’m gonna remove the smaller one on the left. Maybe the bigger one on the right too.

2DEF789D-058B-4776-80B3-78460D59E593.thumb.jpeg.947bfe16c75e3d1c4812806e0b36b464.jpeg

You should be able to transplant the small one easily

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Herself a pic of the situation.

Two baueri types too close together.

I’m gonna remove the smaller one on the left. Maybe the bigger one on the right too.

2DEF789D-058B-4776-80B3-78460D59E593.thumb.jpeg.947bfe16c75e3d1c4812806e0b36b464.jpeg

They’re smaller than I was thinking. It’s definitely worth a try. Maybe remove a few paving bricks to get a good angle on the hole. I think you’re in with a good chance for both of them if you keep away from the saxophone heel bit. 

When you pot them up as you are now in summer put them in full shade out of the wind and put a tray under the pot and water the heck out of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If your in the Digging and Editing Mood, I got a nice Caryota Gigas I need removed !!! Was looking at it today and needs to be gone.   Ugh.   Bring that Machete ! 

Im thinking this Jubaea x Syragus 15 ga needs to go in its Spot! And your the expert on killing C Gigas! 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been offered a bunch of Caryota gigas seeds

ran screaming

7 minutes ago, Briank said:

If your in the Digging and Editing Mood, I got a nice Caryota Gigas I need removed !!! Was looking at it today and needs to be gone.   Ugh.   Bring that Machete ! 

Im thinking this Jubaea x Syragus 15 ga needs to go in its Spot! And your the expert on killing C Gigas! 

Chain saw 

hockey mask too