Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

My Needle Palm Is Flowering!

PalmTreeDude

My Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) is finally flowering! I won’t get any seed off of it (if it is a female, I’m still not sure what it is yet and don’t know how to tell) because I only have one and there are none close by that I know of. But it is still really cool, and is my first palm to ever flower! 

EFE01601-E911-4F9C-8896-1B82190E4257.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Chester B

As far as flowers go they're pretty ugly.  My big one is flowering right now, it's a female.  It develops infertile seeds that end up rotting.

kinzyjr
3 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

My Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) is finally flowering! I won’t get any seed off of it (if it is a female, I’m still not sure what it is yet and don’t know how to tell) because I only have one and there are none close by that I know of. But it is still really cool, and is my first palm to ever flower!

Nice work!  You need a few more.  Some are hermaphroditic.

PalmTreeDude

Update... Can anyone tell if this is male or female? 

B961215A-D9B7-48E3-9C68-6DADC8303369.jpeg

PalmTreeDude

Closer... 

image.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Darold Petty

My guess (and just that)  would be female, as the yellowish bit looks like a pistill, rather than a stamen.

Manalto

Rhapidophyllum hystrix needs a genetic shot in the arm. Is there anything it will hybridize with?

• Upvote 1

Manalto
On 6/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, Manalto said:

Rhapidophyllum hystrix needs a genetic shot in the arm. Is there anything it will hybridize with?

Plus, it's got a bad attitude and impressive cold hardiness to contribute!

SEVA

The inflorescences on yours appear to be female. My last needle palm to bloom finally bloomed this year and turned out to be male. The rest of my needle palms are female, so I made an attempt to pollinate them. I've attached photos below of some of the inflorescences.

0506201736.thumb.jpg.bee4fdf9ff442ff2359237d0b6ff5b42.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix female inflorescence

0514201834.thumb.jpg.ee810f82904771003c8ca0b02a1dab35.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix male inflorescence

• Like 1

CodyORB
On 6/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, Manalto said:
On 6/18/2020 at 7:16 PM, Manalto said:

Plus, it's got a bad attitude and impressive cold hardiness to contribute!

It's in the same subtribe as Chamaerops, which could apparently see more "wet cold" hardiness w/o fungal infections.

If we're really going out there we'll do Copernicia and Colpothrinax, I'd love to see those make it at least in Florida!

Speaking of Copernicia, I wonder how the fronds would behave with a theoretical x macroglossa:mrlooney:

Edited by CodyORB