Sign in to follow this  
NickJames

Lubber eating Chamaerops

NickJames

Caught this juvenile lubber going to town on my Chamaerops tonight. Needless to say, it met a grim demise. 

This is the first time I’ve seen them eat a palm. Anyone know if this is common? I kill them as I find them, but to know they will actively eat a palm is disheartening!

AC86E382-5F56-43AF-9479-8337D01C0CDE.jpeg

• Like 1

DoomsDave

Grasshoppers love palms. They love grass, palms are related, so reasonable facsimile thereof.

And the shoe of Doom does the job. Or the Kitty of Terror . . . .

• Upvote 1

Cikas

Yes they will eat palms. All kind of palms. They especially love palm seedlings. 

I have a lot of problems with grasshoppers in my own garden too. 

Eric in Orlando

I have never seen them eat palms here, and we have hundreds. Their favorites are crinums, amaryllis, coleus, etc.

• Like 1

Hferrell87

They are my biggest problem every year. They always eat on my palms. I was lucky this year when I stumbled across a good thousand baby lubbers. Needless to say, their life span was short lived. 

• Like 2

Merlyn2220

The babies can be easily killed with any regular bug spray, but the adults seem invulnerable to everything but my foot.  I had a huge infestation 2 years ago, but I was proactive in March last year and this year to kill off the "social swarms" of babies.  Most of the time they go after elephant ears and softer leaved tropicals here.  I can't say that I've seen one actually eating a palm, but they like to hide in the poky Sylvester fronds as a means of protection from me.  It doesn't work.  :D

• Like 1

Fusca

I'm surprised he passed over the nicer more expensive palms and settled on the Chamaerops!  :D

• Like 1

NickJames
1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

The babies can be easily killed with any regular bug spray, but the adults seem invulnerable to everything but my foot.  I had a huge infestation 2 years ago, but I was proactive in March last year and this year to kill off the "social swarms" of babies.  Most of the time they go after elephant ears and softer leaved tropicals here.  I can't say that I've seen one actually eating a palm, but they like to hide in the poky Sylvester fronds as a means of protection from me.  It doesn't work.  :D

I cut their heads off. The adults do seem to require a quicker, more deliberate cut. They are easier to spot than the juveniles though! 

Jerry@TreeZoo

For every one lubber you kill this year, that is 100 you don't have to kill next year.  Stop 'em, decapitate 'em, spray the young ones.  Whatever you have to do.  I have been lubber free for a few years now so I don't know if it has been my eradication efforts, population cycles, global warming, sunspots or a large toad population.